In memoriam: Rich Dutkin (1 Viewer)

theBaron

Major
Last week, we lost another long-time dealer and legend in the hobby, Rich Dutkin. Rich passed away on November 9th. Here is obituary on Legacy.com:

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/richard-dutkin-obituary?id=53564413

Rich was a fixture at the shows, and ran Dutkin's Collectables in Cherry Hill, New Jersey. He sold the major brands of toy soldiers, but also had his own line of casting molds, Li'l Army.

I first met Rich at our show and got know him over the years. I always enjoyed visiting with him, because beside his knowledge of our hobby, he was a nice guy to talk to, always had a smile.

The last couple of years leading up to the lockdowns, he was slowing down, as we all do, and started to limit his road trips. It does get to be a lot of work to travel to and from the location, load in and load out. But I was glad to get to see him one more time at Hackensack, before we shut ourselves down.

Prayers and condolences to Gale, his sons and the rest of his family.

Rest in peace, Rich!

Rich was a good friend, and a terrific dealer. Back in the day Larry Lo (who sadly also has since passed) and I used to drive out to Cherry Hill New Jersey to find long retired treasures at his shop. One of my favorite memories of Rich and Larry was our last trip there before Larry got sick. A still healthy, happy (with the trademark huge grin) Larry and I talked Rich into letting us search through the basement of his store. He was an original K&C dealer, and also handled Heco Tinplate models, and we left dusty, sweaty but happy, with boxes of treasures for our collections. Rich promised Larry we could go through his warehouse next, but sadly Larry got sick, and we never returned. I hope Larry and Rich are having a drink together in heaven, and laughing at the rest of us still chasing toys. If the one who dies with the most toys wins, I'm pretty sure Rich and Larry are both big winners. Rest in peace my friends.

RIP, Rich. I used to enjoy seeing him at shows. He always had a great combination of figures.

Wow...very sad news!! I knew Rich as his shop was a 15 minute drive from my house. I saw him last when he had his retirement sale back about 6 years or so and I picked up a few things at 50% off.

I loved going to his shop........it was one of the few remaining at the time. He was a good guy and had a great sense of humor too.

Mark

My son and I got to spend time with Rich and his wife prior to shows in NJ. Enjoyed quite a few dinners with them. Rich originated putting a picture on the boxes! Good folks, sorry to hear this. One of my favorite stories was at the MFCA, Rich brought in tray after tray of loose figures he had no time to put out. SO, I went over and he would hand me box after box. I would go back to my table, search through, pick out a lot of Trophy gems, then go back and swap for the next box. I was his best customer that Friday he told me!
Tom

God**** it.

SUCH a great guy.

We had some wonderful talks at the shows back in the day.

Such a great attitude, always smiling, he'd go out of his way to say goodbye to me at the shows and famously say "I'll see you at the next one Georgie Boy."

One of the pillars of our hobby, he'll be missed, but never forgotten.

He's at a table up in heaven now, sharing a laugh with Bill Lango, John Stengle and my Dad.....................

What a kick in the ***.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back