Island Bunker Attack (1 Viewer)

It's always fun to combine pieces from different themes and I've been wanting to incorporate a bunker with my USMC for some time. After seeing some real life images, I discovered that the Japanese constructed a number of different shaped (and concrete) pillboxes during WWII, and thought, "hey, I'll give it a try". Pictured is the Normandy Pillbox (WS193) as USMC attempt to determine if it is occupied by Japanese forces. I don't think it came out too bad.

attachment.php

The Bunker looks well in your scene. Good multi range use. :salute::

Steve

Agree Rob looks fine. The Japanese had lots of island bunkers. Robin.

WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!! {sm4}
Heck, now I am going to have to get some bunkers .... <SIGH>

That came out gorgeous, ROBIN. Yes, the Japanese had many concrete structures on the islands.

The scene is a near perfect match for the one in the mini-series "The Pacific" where Sledge hears Jap's talking in a supposedly checked out bunker.
A very memorable scene if I recall where SNAFU unloads his machine gun into a Jap soldier and continue to scream, "DIE, JUST F %$#*@g DIE.
The look on Sledge's face still gives me the chills. GREAT SERIES

The Pacific Battle of Peleliu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=Mel9s2IXKHg

Roughly the 4:20 mark.

--- LaRRy

WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!! {sm4}
Heck, now I am going to have to get some bunkers .... <SIGH>

That came out gorgeous, ROBIN. Yes, the Japanese had many concrete structures on the islands.

The scene is a near perfect match for the one in the mini-series "The Pacific" where Sledge hears Jap's talking in a supposedly checked out bunker.
A very memorable scene if I recall where SNAFU unloads his machine gun into a Jap soldier and continue to scream, "DIE, JUST F %$#*@g DIE.
The look on Sledge's face still gives me the chills. GREAT SERIES

The Pacific Battle of Peleliu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=Mel9s2IXKHg

Roughly the 4:20 mark.

--- LaRRy

I wish someone would make a figure of Sledge.

His son John is a famous local historian in the family's hometown of Mobile, AL. He has repeatedly told me that his father rarely talked about the war.

Sid Phillips, father Sledge's high school buddy, was more forthcoming but about Guadalcanal; you can hear his remarks on PBS's The War.

Figures of both Marines would be a must have for the local history section of my collection.

MikeNick

I wish someone would make a figure of Sledge.

His son John is a famous local historian in the family's hometown of Mobile, AL. He has repeatedly told me that his father rarely talked about the war.

Sid Phillips, father Sledge's high school buddy, was more forthcoming but about Guadalcanal; you can hear his remarks on PBS's The War.

Figures of both Marines would be a must have for the local history section of my collection.

MikeNick

Oh Ya', I would be in favor of many of those "personality" figures. ^&grin

I am not sure how the "licensing" works, when a company uses the resemblance or name of an historical person.

--- LaRRy

Hi guys, thank you all for the feedback and comments.
Here's one more that provides a better look at the figures; never got around to posting yesterday.

attachment.php

Hi guys, thank you all for the feedback and comments.
Here's one more that provides a better look at the figures; never got around to posting yesterday.

attachment.php

Wow, Rob, … love that barrel!!! ^&grin [Bit of an inside joke!]

Ya', that's a better look at K&C's superior USMC figures.

Is that ocean background: a poster, a laptop shot or something on a poster ..?
Whatever it is, it's perfect!

---LaRRy

That's a great idea, Rob! :smile2:The bunker works good in your diorama. I love that background... it's a detail that makes all the difference.{eek3}
As always, well done!

Cheers

Enrico

Wow, Rob, … love that barrel!!!
You know I had to include at least one. That barrel has Larry's name on it! {sm4}

Is that ocean background: a poster, a laptop shot or something on a poster ..? Whatever it is, it's perfect!
A picture I found on the web; thanks Larry. The first picture is an actual background. The 2nd (with ocean) was photo-edited which I liked a little better than the 1st (actual background). I find most of my pictures on the web.

Oh, by the way. Thanks for mentioning the Pacific series. I purchased the collector's tin with movie collection a few years ago and never got around to opening. I brought up a few scenes on Youtube; it looks like a great series!

That's a great idea, Rob! :smile2:The bunker works good in your diorama. I love that background... it's a detail that makes all the difference. As always, well done!
Thanks much Enrico, nice of you to say.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back