It's Official - Britains Sold (1 Viewer)

Peter Reuss

2nd Lieutenant
Hi all - I just got off the phone with Richard Walker. The sale of Britains to First Gear is now official. They plan to have some new sets to preview at the show later this week. He hopes to have them available by early 2006.

I'm very excited about this change in ownership. Now Britains can take it's rightful place at the head of the toy soldier world.

Here's the official press release:
First Gear to Acquire 112 Year-Old Toy Soldier Maker W. Britain from RC2

September 20, 2005 – Peosta, IA – First Gear, a producer of collector-quality, super-detailed die-cast truck, fire, construction and utility vehicle models announces the acquisition of W. Britains from RC2. W. Britains is a 112 year-old toy soldier company that produces metal and plastic miniature figures for toy, tourist and collector markets.

First Gear has retained veteran toy soldier sales and marketing executive, Richard Walker, to act as General Manager of W. Britains. Walker’s most recent experience as VP of Sales and Marketing for Corgi USA as well as his 25 year association with every aspect of the toy soldier industry, (including the force behind the reinvigoration of the W. Britains brand when it was acquired by Ertl in 1997), is ideally suited for this new position. “Richard’s understanding and familiarity with the specialty market and his long association with toy soldier collecting, sales, development and manufacturing make him a true asset to First Gear/W. Britains and we are delighted to have him on board,” Says Rich Knight, CEO, First Gear.

Under the new ownership the W. Britains line will receive renewed focus from a company that knows the collector market and is committed to detail, authenticity and accuracy. “First Gear has a great reputation for making some of the highest quality die-cast replicas in the market today. As a privately held company that understands and appreciates the collectors market they are ideally suited to take W. Britains to new heights. I am very pleased and excited to be part of this new dynamic team,” Richard Walker, General Manager W. Britains.

First Gear is also pleased to announce the appointment of 1st Choice Collectables as the sales and distribution arm for W. Britains in the UK, Ireland, and Continental Europe. Colin Summerbell, 1st Choice Managing Director, is a twenty-year UK collectible sales and marketing professional with intimate knowledge of the UK and European markets, “It is an honor to be given the opportunity to carry the venerable W. Britains name forward in this great company’s home market. As the oldest name in the UK toy and collectible industry, it is a brand worthy of the careful and focused stewardship that 1st Choice excels at providing.”
A preview of the new W. Britains 2006 line will be on display at the upcoming OTSN Chicago Toy Soldier Show in late September and at the London Toy Soldier show in early December.

W. Britains - Detail, Quality and Authenticity Since 1893.
When buying toy soldiers see that they are W. Britains.

Well, now that Richard Walker is back with Britains, I'll have to take them seriously again.

Hi There! Ken Osen here and I just thought that you might like to know that there are several new sculpts on the bench right now for upcoming releases. These include new ACW, WWI, WWII, Napoleonics and traditional glossy style. Rich Walker and I have had a great time working together on the new sets, with many more to follow...
Some of the new work was already shown at the OTSN show in Chicago. In addition to the 'Jackson in the Valley' ACW range look for exciting WWII vehicle and figure sets and a revisit to Waterloo!

Hey, Ken, Harold Odden here, Nice meeting you in person at the show.
You are one busy and talented guy!!!You mentioned above all periods of which I collect.
Waterloo , again! Perfect, just perfect.So many splendid items from so many makers, coming down the pike so fast.Head spinning, as usual.
Fubar
Harold

Good evening Ken,

It was a pleasure to chat with you at the OTS show last weekend. I just wanted to add my two cents to this thread and say that I really liked the prototypes for the Jackson in the Valley series. They look splendid. I also enjoyed getting a peak at the Old Northwest Civil War line.

For those who may not know, ONWTS will be adding a line of ACW figures. The part that I find exciting is that they have chosen to portray Union units from the "Old Nortwest" (Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin), along with Confederates that they faced in the specific actions depicted. I have lived in Illinois most of my life, and I've always been a bit disappointed that most ACW Federals have the standard Army of the Potomac look (forage caps and four-button fatigue jackets). The West is basically represented by the Iron Brigade, which I like -- hence my alias, but little else.

If my memory is correct, the first offering from ONWTS will be Battery A, 1st Michigan, at Perryville. The prototype is excellent.

For ACW collectors, 2006 is shaping up to be a great year -- Western troops from ONWTS and a great, early-war Eastern campaign from Britains.

Peter Wells
(Black Hat)

Thank you for the kind words and excitement surrounding the sale of W. Britain. Ken, Rich Knight (the owner of First Gear) and I are so pleased to have this great name, with its long history and dedicated following of collectors. The biggest change will be that we do not take our dedicated following of collectors for granted. While many will continue to collect Britains just because they are Britains we will give you the best reason to collect Britains, simply because they are some of the finest figures on the market. As Ken touched on earlier there are many great new ranges in the works, all back in the hands of two of the most gifted sculptors out there. We'll keep you all updated on what is happening, and please do not hesitate to let us know what you want and what you think.

Richard Walker

Forward March...I usually collect K & C but have started to collect the nelson series for the simple fact that I collect napoleonics and found this line interresting. Will you continue with this line or anyother line for that matter that has already been started. I know Britains has strayed off track for a brief time but I have to say I really like the nelson series and found that it was well thought out. I have been told K & C have no intention of doing any napoleonic naval stuff..

Cheers
Wellington

Last edited:
Hello Wellington:

I agree, Nelson has been a superb range. New additions - you bet - how about all the Officers under Nelson, a more complete Royal Marine set and deck crew set or maybe two more deck gun pieces with different poses to add onto the first one???

I am open to many more ideas - shoot please!

Richard Walker
General Manager
W. Britain

Richard that sounds great, I'm glad the line will be staying, as I said before I think its a great line...well thought out!!!

Cheers
Wellington :)

Hi Richard,
Is there any chance of producing toy soldiers from the British campaigns in the Middle East during World War I ?

Benjamin

Glad to hear that there will be some new ACW sets coming in the near future. Looking very forward to seeing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back