James Opie Books (1 Viewer)

Looking to buy a book that provides a complete history of Britains toy soldiers. I have found several books by James Opie - any recommendations as to which one is the best for this purpose?

I think you should have the next two books
The great book of britains from 1993 by James Opie
Britney ney toy soldiers 1973 - present by Norman Joplin and John t Waterwort from 2007
richard

The great book of Britain’s is really valuable when it comes to identifying older sets lots of great photos. He did an update as well onthis book covering 1893 to 2013 so anything by Opie will be very helpful! There are other books out there that are helpful but these are usually covering a lot of bakers and don’t always have the best photos.

Dave

Try "Britains Toy Soldiers: The History and the Handbook 1893 - 2013" by James Opie. A bit less comprehensive than The Great Book of Britains by the same author - but MUCH less pricey and hard to find. jb

I downloaded "Collecting Toy Soldiers in the 21st Century" by James Opie from Google Books for a few £'s.

All three books cited here are highly recommended even if there is a little overlap among them all. Serious Britains collectors might also want a copy of Opie's late 1990's price book wherein he cites individual evaluations of sets. He says these have not changed much in the last 20+ years. Alas, these wonderful figures are not very good investments.

If you should have a copy of Opie's price list (copyright 1994) all quotes are in British Pounds. They were worth about $1.62 US then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back