John Stengel Sr. Has Past Away 9/24/16 (1 Viewer)

William S. Grey

Private 2
The Toy Soldier Hobby suffered an enormous loss when John Stengel, Sr. died yesterday, September 24, after fighting a lengthy and courageous battle with cancer.

Known to many as The Marxman, John and his family were fixtures at many shows around the country. Once bitten by the Toy Soldier Show bug, John went on to sponsor many toy soldier shows, including the well known Gettysburg and New Yorker shows.

But perhaps he will be remembered best for his love of plastic figures. His tables would be piled high with plastic soldiers, figures and accessories, making them stand out from every other tables at a show.

His contagious personality and quick wit always kept me laughing with him during our conversations. He will be missed. Rest in piece, my friend.

www.facebook.com/eastcoasttoysoldiershow

I only had the opportunity to meet him a few times, but I knew he had a reputation as an honest businessman and loyal friend to many. Rest in peace.

That is very sad news. I have seen him at many shows. A very nice man.

Walt

I only met John 3-4 times at different shows...we hung out some...I really liked him...he was a funny guy...my condolences...

Sorry to hear, my prayers go out for him and his family. I met John a few times over the years while going to the shows, he was the one that got me into collecting again when I was in my early 20's. I would remember every year after the first show I went too, that I would get a post card in the mail letting me know about the next show.

Sorry to hear about John's passing. I talked with him for many years and his son told me about his passing at home while he was working the Chicago Show. My condolences to John's family. John was a pioneer in keeping this hobby going.

Rest in peace John

Re: John Stengel SR RIP

Very sad news, I learned of his passing on Saturday, hoped it was not true, John Jr came to my room later in the day and I knew right away when I saw him.

All I can say like I said on another forum; my life was better for having known him, he had the ability to always make my laugh with his outstanding sense of humor.

Last year I went to the show with a heavy heart, this year I came home with one.

Our hobby continues to lose collectors and dealers alike and it's a sad state of affairs to say the least.

Gods speed John, will see you again someday........................

John Stengel - The Marx Man

Very sad to hear that John has passed away after a very long illness. We first met him in Chicago around 15 or more years ago and immediately hit it off.
I will always remember his tall, skinny frame, battered cowboy hat and incredibly funny stories with fondness. A true character of the toy soldier hobby.
Our thoughts are with John Junior and his mother.

Re: John Stengel - The Marx Man

Very sad to hear that John has passed away after a very long illness. We first met him in Chicago around 15 or more years ago and immediately hit it off.
I will always remember his tall, skinny frame, battered cowboy hat and incredibly funny stories with fondness. A true character of the toy soldier hobby.
Our thoughts are with John Junior and his mother.

Steve;

He was a great guy to hang around with at the show.

John knew the hobby very well, and always had entertaining stories about New York.

Today I posted a picture of him, at the show, from a number of years ago in the "Member Tribute Section" of the Forum (probably the wrong place to post it).

He will be missed.

Was John the guy who did the limited run VIETNAM and GERMAN PARA. figures??

Plastic General

Was John the guy who did the limited run VIETNAM and GERMAN PARA. figures??

Plastic General

It was his son.
His son at this years show had 3 new VietNam sets that he cast. U.S. & VietCong dead (4 poses of each.) and a set of Viet Cong. Fit perfectly with TSSD's new figures.
Gary

We’ll have “In Memory of John Stengel Toy Soldier Collector” remembrance book at our show this Sunday. Everyone who knew John is invited to write a couple of sentences in memory of John in the book. The book will be presented to his family at the end of the show. Bill$_12.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back