Josef Kober Toy Soldiers (2 Viewers)

ucla1967

Major
At Bob Walker's Open House last weekend, I photographed an unusual set of 54mm toy soldiers that I could not identify as to the manufacturer, but which appeared to be Austrian Dragoons during the late World War I period or from sometime between the world wars. They are wearing World War I stahlhelms with a pine branch ornament, gray uniforms, and have capes. I will post a photo, but I had to reduce it so much for the Forum that it may not be big enough to get a good look at them.

A Danish collector said he believed that they were made by a company in Vienna called Josef Kober. He said that Kober had a shop in Vienna which featured smaller scale figures that were quite expensive, but had made larger scale figures in the past. He sent me four photos of Kober figures in his collection. I was wondering if any of you knew anything more about this company?

Attachments

• 100_0362 Josef Kober Austrian Dragoons.JPG
    100_0362 Josef Kober Austrian Dragoons.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,003
  • Kober figurer 001[1].jpg
    Kober figurer 001[1].jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,081
  • Kober figurer 002[1].jpg
    Kober figurer 002[1].jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,089
  • Kober figurer 003[1].jpg
    Kober figurer 003[1].jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,134
  • Kober figurer 004[1].jpg
    Kober figurer 004[1].jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,049
Here is a larger photo of the dragoons.

Attachments

• 100_0362.JPG
    100_0362.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 739
Hi, ucla1967, the Kober line goes back to the late 1860's. Kober sold and sells all kinds of toys, including toy soldiers, as well as toy trains and model railroads.

I first learned about the line in the old book, "A Color Treasury of Model Soldiers" (here's a link to a website selling a copy: http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=17767&page=98 , so you can see the cover). Kober featured the Imperial and Royal army, as can be expected, but also had civilian scenes, and historical, too, if I remember correctly. I remember scenes of Franz-Josef and his staff, and also a staff car.

Figures were half-round, and 40mm was one featured size, though I think they made others, too. Similar to Schneider, Ideal and other mold- and toy soldier makers active in Germany and elsewhere in Europe at the time.

I can check Garratt, to see if he has a more detailed article in his World Encyclopedia.

I'd have bought them, given the opportunity. I don't have any Kobers in my collection.

Hope that helps!

Prost!
Brad

Hi, ucla1967, the Kober line goes back to the late 1860's. Kober sold and sells all kinds of toys, including toy soldiers, as well as toy trains and model railroads.

I first learned about the line in the old book, "A Color Treasury of Model Soldiers" (here's a link to a website selling a copy: http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=17767&page=98 , so you can see the cover). Kober featured the Imperial and Royal army, as can be expected, but also had civilian scenes, and historical, too, if I remember correctly. I remember scenes of Franz-Josef and his staff, and also a staff car.

Figures were half-round, and 40mm was one featured size, though I think they made others, too. Similar to Schneider, Ideal and other mold- and toy soldier makers active in Germany and elsewhere in Europe at the time.

I can check Garratt, to see if he has a more detailed article in his World Encyclopedia.

I'd have bought them, given the opportunity. I don't have any Kobers in my collection.

Hope that helps!

Prost!
Brad

Hi Brad,

Thank you for the information on Kober and the link. I'll check it out.

Well, the link is just to show the cover of the book, but I have it at home, and I'll see if I can scan any Kober info from it. I recall a scene of a town park, plus the figures I mentioned previously. Glad to share what I can from my references!

Prost!
Brad

Here are some photos of Josef Kober toy soldiers that I just won on eBay. I am not sure of their size, but they appear to possibly be 48mm and may or may not be full round. The clear plastic packaging is rather utilitarian. I am thinking of giving them to my friend, Bob Walker, on his upcoming 70th birthday.

Attachments

• josef kober.jpg
    josef kober.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 391
  • josef kober (2).jpg
    josef kober (2).jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 382
  • josef kober (3).jpg
    josef kober (3).jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 371
  • josef kober (4).jpg
    josef kober (4).jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 386
  • josef kober (5).jpg
    josef kober (5).jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 435
Hi Guys,

That is a great looking set of figures! Is the company still in business and if so does it have a shop in Vienna? My wife has told me we are going there this coming month. So if they are still there I want to make the trip more interesting for me...

Dave

Hi Guys,

That is a great looking set of figures! Is the company still in business and if so does it have a shop in Vienna? My wife has told me we are going there this coming month. So if they are still there I want to make the trip more interesting for me...

Dave

Hi Dave,

I didn't know the answer to your question, but it looks like johnnybach has come through for you. BTW, Bob Walker has a hugh collection of Austrian and Imperial German toy soldiers at his childhood home in southern California. When I get a chance to organize my photos, I will start a new thread on that collection that you, JB, and Brad might like seeing.

Hi Mike,

That would be great! I am currently planning a trip to Vienna this month with my family so I will be stopping at the Toy Shop. I have the location mapped and will be taking a camera and also trying to get any paperwork or catelogues they may have on site. Do love exploring over here because you never know where the next cool find will happen!

Looking forward to the photos!

Dave

Here are two photos just to give you a little preview.

Attachments

• 100_0853.JPG
    100_0853.JPG
    658.6 KB · Views: 352
  • 100_0855.JPG
    100_0855.JPG
    540.9 KB · Views: 362
A tantalizing tease! Thanks for sharing these.

Ah, the Kaiserjäger! That's an impressive collection displayed in the second shot. That's my goal for my SYW Britains, to amass enough figures to display a whole company or battalion of the Foot Guards. These are beautifully glossy! And Inser oita, liaba Kaiser Franz Josef takes the salute!

In the first photo, are those restored and cleaned up Elastolins, or are they metal reproductions of Elastolins? They look like metal painted with gloss enamels. I know I've read of someone who was making Elastolin- and Lineol-style figures, in metal, but I don't recall more details.

Prost!
Brad

A tantalizing tease! Thanks for sharing these.

Ah, the Kaiserjäger! That's an impressive collection displayed in the second shot. That's my goal for my SYW Britains, to amass enough figures to display a whole company or battalion of the Foot Guards. These are beautifully glossy! And Inser oita, liaba Kaiser Franz Josef takes the salute!

In the first photo, are those restored and cleaned up Elastolins, or are they metal reproductions of Elastolins? They look like metal painted with gloss enamels. I know I've read of someone who was making Elastolin- and Lineol-style figures, in metal, but I don't recall more details.

Prost!
Brad

It was a tease, wasn't it? The Kaiserjaeger and Austrian mounted staff officers with Fanz Josef are Bob's own castings and paint jobs. The large scale (70mm or 90mm) Elastolin-type figures were made by the late Dan Boline, whose company was named something like Der Alte Spielen Figuren. I think they are metal. In any case, Bob has quite a few of them in his collection.

It was a tease, wasn't it? The Kaiserjaeger and Austrian mounted staff officers with Fanz Josef are Bob's own castings and paint jobs. The large scale (70mm or 90mm) Elastolin-type figures were made by the late Dan Boline, whose company was named something like Der Alte Spielen Figuren. I think they are metal. In any case, Bob has quite a few of them in his collection.

Ah, thanks, I remember now, I think that's "Alte Deutsche Spielfiguren". I saw them at some shows. He was producing figures in the composition style, and also, in the style of Heyde's larger-sized figures, if memory serves me. Solid-cast figures in that size are pretty massive.

Bob's casting job is wonderful! Do you happen to know where the molds came from, if they were originals, or if someone might have been making them still?

Prost!
Brad

Ah, thanks, I remember now, I think that's "Alte Deutsche Spielfiguren". I saw them at some shows. He was producing figures in the composition style, and also, in the style of Heyde's larger-sized figures, if memory serves me. Solid-cast figures in that size are pretty massive.

Bob's casting job is wonderful! Do you happen to know where the molds came from, if they were originals, or if someone might have been making them still?

Prost!
Brad

Thanks Brad for the correct name of Dan's company. I met him in 1993 at the first West Coaster show I attended. He had a second line of 54mm metal figures under the name of Chelsea. I bought several sets from him at the time which I no longer have. I will be at Bob's on Saturday and check out those larger Boline figures more closely. I am now wondering if they are not some sort of composition material rather than metal otherwise they are going to be awfully heavy.

Believe it or not, Bob's basement is/was a toy soldier factory. He has his own spin casting machines, molds, bins of cast parts, and work tables. I don't know how many molds he has, but there are a lot of them which, I believe, he made himself. I have photos on the hard drive on my old computer (which crashed) that I am in the process of having a tech guy see if he can retrive and load onto my current computer. Bob no longer makes his own figures because he got lead poisoning as did another friend of mine, Bill Connolly, who use to own the Toy Soldier Exchange shop in Pasadena. There is a lesson in there some where. Stia attenta!

Last month, at the beginning of our Eastern Europe vacation, I came across the Kober shop in Vienna during a walking tour we were taking. It is on a pedestrian-only street very near Saint Stephen's Cathedral. The figures appear to be 48mm and are semi-round. I didn't have time to go into the shop.

Attachments

• DSCN0946.JPG
    DSCN0946.JPG
    510.3 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCN0945.JPG
    DSCN0945.JPG
    492.4 KB · Views: 192
  • DSCN0942.JPG
    DSCN0942.JPG
    453.6 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCN0943.JPG
    DSCN0943.JPG
    434.9 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN0944.JPG
    DSCN0944.JPG
    561.2 KB · Views: 184
Hi Guys,

Great photos from Vienna, I am trying to get there later this year with the family. We keep missing it. I knew about this shop and told my wife I was planning to go there when we visit. I hope they still have the figures dancing at the fest. Those look like a must have for my European collection.

Thanks for sharing them!

Dave

Hi Guys,

Great photos from Vienna, I am trying to get there later this year with the family. We keep missing it. I knew about this shop and told my wife I was planning to go there when we visit. I hope they still have the figures dancing at the fest. Those look like a must have for my European collection.

Thanks for sharing them!

Dave

Hi Dave,

They are charming figures and the prices seemed reasonable to me. That fest set would make a great addition to your European collection. I have attached a photo of the monument that is just opposite the Kober shop which will help you find it.

Attachments

• DSCN0939.JPG
    DSCN0939.JPG
    372.2 KB · Views: 147

Users who are viewing this thread

Back