Josef Kober Toy Soldiers (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know who possess Dan's molds? He did some work for me and I would like to
contact whoever has the molds.
Thanks,
Russ

Does anyone know who possess Dan's molds? He did some work for me and I would like to
Thanks,
Russ

Russ,

I don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. How is the Josef Kober line of toy soldiers associated with Dan's molds?

Thanks,
Russ

Russ,

I don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. How is the Josef Kober line of toy soldiers associated with Dan's molds?

If I may offer a clarification, I don't think he's associating the Alte-Deutsche-Spielfiguren line with Kober, it's just a mild threadjack, if I may be pardoned for using the term.

Prost!
Brad

Well done Mike, another interesting thread on a range of figures I've never heard of. {bravo}}

Jeff

If I may offer a clarification, I don't think he's associating the Alte-Deutsche-Spielfiguren line with Kober, it's just a mild threadjack, if I may be pardoned for using the term.

Prost!
Brad

Ah hah! A threadjacking---no wonder I was confused. Thanks for the clarification Brad. Actually, I did know, at one time, what happened to Dan Bohline's molds, but I have forgotten the details which had something to do with his wife. Bob Walker, who told me the story and was a very good Alte-Deutsche-Spielfiguren customer, will be riding with me on July 21st to visit another collector's collection for our toy soldier club. I'll ask him to refresh my memory. What thread should I post the answer to?

Well done Mike, another interesting thread on a range of figures I've never heard of. {bravo}}

Jeff

Thank you Jeff for your kind remarks. I am doing my best to keep the traditional, glossy side of the hobby in the news, so to speak.

Ah hah! A threadjacking---no wonder I was confused. Thanks for the clarification Brad. Actually, I did know, at one time, what happened to Dan Bohline's molds, but I have forgotten the details which had something to do with his wife. Bob Walker, who told me the story and was a very good Alte-Deutsche-Spielfiguren customer, will be riding with me on July 21st to visit another collector's collection for our toy soldier club. I'll ask him to refresh my memory. What thread should I post the answer to?

Sure thing, Mike! I'm a fan of Dennis Prager, and I share his thoughts about clarity ;)

As far as a response goes, I don't see why you couldn't post it back here, if Russ is following the thread, or maybe with a PM to him, or perhaps do both. Maybe we could add a thread in the Other Glossy Manufacturers forum, too.

I'm curious now, too, to know what happened to the molds.

Prost!
Brad

Sure thing, Mike! I'm a fan of Dennis Prager, and I share his thoughts about clarity ;)

As far as a response goes, I don't see why you couldn't post it back here, if Russ is following the thread, or maybe with a PM to him, or perhaps do both. Maybe we could add a thread in the Other Glossy Manufacturers forum, too.

I'm curious now, too, to know what happened to the molds.

Prost!
Brad

Well, here is what I know about the molds, although it pains me, in effect, to seem to condone threadjacking. Dan passed away unexpectedly while painting his toy soldiers, or so the story goes. In short order, his wife sold the molds, and what sets he had completed, to a stain glass guy in Sacramento. She remarried about three months after Dan's death and moved to Texas. I don't know the purchaser's name, but he has apparently attended the West Coaster in the past selling some of Dan's figures. I kind of remember seeing them. I know the name of the painter the purchaser uses to paint the figures and will talk to him at the next West Coaster where he always has a table.

Last month, at the beginning of our Eastern Europe vacation, I came across the Kober shop in Vienna during a walking tour we were taking. It is on a pedestrian-only street very near Saint Stephen's Cathedral. The figures appear to be 48mm and are semi-round. I didn't have time to go into the shop.

I just returned from a recent European vacation. While we were in Vienna on June 7th and 8th, I had intended to visit the Kober shop. Alas, it was closed and empty. The outdoor signage was also gone. There was no posted information as to whether they had moved to a new location or had permanently closed their shop. See post #17.

I just returned from a recent European vacation. While we were in Vienna on June 7th and 8th, I had intended to visit the Kober shop. Alas, it was closed and empty. The outdoor signage was also gone. There was no posted information as to whether they had moved to a new location or had permanently closed their shop. See post #17.

A quick view of Kober's website: http://www.kober.co.at/ shows the news that they have moved. The new address is Wollzeile 16 / Schulerstraße 11 - 1010 Wien That's a relief!

Prost!
Brad

A while back, these two Josef Kober sets of Austrian Infantry and Prussian Cavalry appeared on eBay. One doesn't see Josef Kober on eBay all that often.

Attachments

• Josef Kober Austrian Infantry.jpg
    Josef Kober Austrian Infantry.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Josef Kober Prussian Cavalry.jpg
    Josef Kober Prussian Cavalry.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 155
A while back, these two Josef Kober sets of Austrian Infantry and Prussian Cavalry appeared on eBay. One doesn't see Josef Kober on eBay all that often.

Colleagues,

This thread had eluded me until today, I wish I had seen it earlier.

There is so much to say, I don't know where to begin. I guess the first thing I should say is that I don't believe that either of the illustrated sets are "Kober" They just "don't look right". The infantry look as though they might be Heyde.

Now, that raises the most interesting question: "What is a Kober?"

"Kober" is not a "brand" per se, but the name of a shop (as very fully described, by other members; more on that topic later)

The "real Brand name" is Wollner.

Since before the First World War, Herr Wollner had a hugh business making Figures, in many scales, mostly of KuK themes, which were sold painted. After the War business dropped off and at some time Herr Kober, the Toy Shop Proprietor "acquired" the moulds of the 40mm figures, only.

I understand from my Austrian friends that there may have been some questions as to the legitimatcy of that acquisition. Nevertheless they have sold constantly ever since. As far as I can make out, no one has ever put the moulds for the other sizes (20mm, 28mm, 55mm, 70mm, I believe) back in production. The "Jewels in the Crown" for collectors of Austro-Hungarian subjects are these "original" Wollners, not the Kober production.

I consider myself very fortunate to have good representations from both camps. Those of you wishing to learn more should search for the "Wollner" book (I think it is on Amazon) which was published in the last few years, by Herr Markus Grein. (can't be more precise as I don't own a copy [would rather spend the money on figures!!])

Turning to the shop. Kober moved from "Der Graben" (the large predestrian only street near St Stephans) to its current address in late 2012/early 2013. The "back entrance" is in Schulerstrasse (which runs from the north side of the Cathedral to the Ringstrasse near the Stadtpark) So it is "very Tourist friendly" to find. I was in the "new" shop last August, and I was very disappointed with the range of figures on display. Of course, it may have improved since then.

What is most important about the Kober move is that it has created a little "centre of excellence" of Toy/Model shops in about 150 meters along Schulerstrasse.

There is a good, "general" hobbies shop just up from the cathedral (on a corner), then the back door of Kober, and then a little further along (still on the "left" side of the road as one goes "outbound") the Collector will be rewarded with "Zinnfiguren Boehm". A small boutique "Soldier" shop which has been on that site for over 30 years. It is very small so one may miss it; the "landmark" is that across the road is one of the many houses in Vienna which was, at one time occupied by one, Herr Mozart, the composer. This is suitably signposted.

The business was founded by Herr Richard Boehm, over 30 years ago. It has been operated by his son, Florian, since Richard passed away in early 2004. I am using an "english" keyboard so I can't do an umlaut over the the "u", Boehm is the "english" spelling. The "german" spelling is Bo (umlaut)hm.

A word of warning. We are dealing with Viennese people here, so you may experience some "imprecision" when it comes to triffling things like opening and closing times. I will look for Florian's card, and post his details in another post.

Florian is a delightful chap, as is Andreas, who sometimes runs the shop. Both speak impeccable English. There is a degree of excentricty about them (they are Viennese!) one example being that they don't take Credit Cards, and don't have a website, email or fax.

Any collector going to Vienna MUST take in this precinct (leave "She who must be obeyed" at the Cathedral, or shopping in Kartner Strasse, making an arrangement to meet back at the Cathedral, at an appointed time. Give yourself at least 2 hours!)

Also, since the start of this year, Herr Peter-Eward Kover has reactivated his shop at 66 Liechensteinerdtrasse. Unfortunately, on the other side of the city, so one has to get there by tram/bus/underground (getting around Vienna is a breeze once one acquires the map and learns how to read/understand it) Peter is a Master Engraver of Flats, and a manufacturer of "Toy Soldiers" in the old Wollner style (55mm) Peter too, is a jovial chap. He has a website: "Zinnfiguren Kovar".

Peter's shop is on the same side of the road as the Palais. (the "Summer" residence of the Prince) but about 1 km along. A good walk if one is fit. So, again, one could leave "she who must be obeyed" at the Palais, admiring the collection of paintings which one engages in more profitable pursuits.

I hope this may help any members going to Vienna.

Bob

I'm just back from Vienna last week, and visited Kober shop to see the zinnfiguren.

Lost for sale, but not a price I would pay, but seemed to be 40mm semi round and so not in my collecting range.

I will report later on the other 2 shops in Vienna, both with 54mm

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back