Jumping into first Legion Naps (1 Viewer)

thrawn

Registered Member
Well, I broke down and bought my first First Legion Nap. Let me just say that I am in love. I can say with certainty there will be future purchases.
Best,
Josh

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 1,137
I agree they are excellent. :)

I only have 3 (all infantry) but would love more.

Well, I broke down and bought my first First Legion Nap. Let me just say that I am in love. I can say with certainty there will be future purchases.
Best,
Josh

You might want to wait a little bit , There are some releases coming out that are new. It will be the Red Lancers.It will be the best one yet.

Hi Josh ,
Let me first say welcome to the glory that are First Legion Napoleonic's , simply the best in production today IMO of course. What a wonderful place to start he is a Fantastic figure and still under 90 bucks which is a steal. Unfortunately the original French line release are all but gone but I think we have not seen the last of those fine sculpts they are just too nice, but if we have the newer French Line figures could be seen to be even better. I'd be embarrassed to say just how many FL Napoleonic's I now have but I can tell you with certainty I have never regretted buying a single one. Again welcome to the fun, it's always good to have new collectors to share... nice photo by the way. Regards Gebhard

Best,
Josh

Outstanding. You are right. When you see them in person. Hard to resist.

Best,
Josh

Hello Josh,
I have done as you now here five years when I bought my first FLNAPS and since I'm tired and I'm a "victim of addiction" ....^&grin
Best. Guy.

Harper,
Only 193? {sm4} Sounds awesome! I'm rather happy, I will be picking up pieces to fill in with my W Britain Naps. So far the Colonel matches pretty nicely with my Britains line infantry, though despite my fears to the opposite, the Britains figures actually seem a hair bigger in scale. Gebhard, Thank you, I've only recently begun to play with my wife's camera. Despite my father being a professional photographer I didn't pick up the various intricacies of the world of digital photography.
Josh

Does anyone have a decent picture of the mounted French Artillery Colonel? I'm thinking of getting him next, but the stock photos don't do much by the figure I'm afraid. Is he of equal quality as the line infantry colonel? Thank you.
Josh

As the number suggests, (NAP0020) the French Mounted Artillery Colonel is one of the earliest FL releases. It is a decent piece and well worth the price but I do not think the pose of horse or rider is as good as is the norm with their subsequent releases, including the Mounted Infantry Colonel.

Harper,
Only 193? {sm4} Sounds awesome! I'm rather happy, I will be picking up pieces to fill in with my W Britain Naps. So far the Colonel matches pretty nicely with my Britains line infantry, though despite my fears to the opposite, the Britains figures actually seem a hair bigger in scale. Gebhard, Thank you, I've only recently begun to play with my wife's camera. Despite my father being a professional photographer I didn't pick up the various intricacies of the world of digital photography.
Josh

This is obviously a matter of personal taste, but I don't like mixing FL with Britains. I have a few excellent Zulu War Britains matte figures, but their style and quality is not close to FL's at all. I prefer to mix FL with FL, they are the best matte figures around (except for the more expensive connoisseur figures), Russian/connoisseur inspired, painting and sculpting are just on another level, especially when it comes to the Naps series. To me mixing with any other matte figures is spoiling the display.
All IMHO, of course.

Cheers,
Paulo

This is obviously a matter of personal taste, but I don't like mixing FL with Britains. I have a few excellent Zulu War Britains matte figures, but their style and quality is not close to FL's at all. I prefer to mix FL with FL, they are the best matte figures around (except for the more expensive connoisseur figures), Russian/connoisseur inspired, painting and sculpting are just on another level, especially when it comes to the Naps series. To me mixing with any other matte figures is spoiling the display.
All IMHO, of course.

Cheers,
Paulo
That is a matter of taste. I see no problem with it personally and would suggest that it depends on the figures. I do display some of my FL Napoleonics with WB but concede that I had those repainted to match the style better. As for Russian Napoleonic figures, again I suggest it depends on the figures. Some are quite well done but some of their scuplting is frankly disappointing (some day they may get horses right for example). I have also found a large number of their poses more portrait style than representative of realistic situations. Those indeed would not mix well with figures, like FL, that favor a more natural set of poses suited to a given situation.

How exciting delivery day is, especially when you know you are getting a set as awesome as this one. The emotion is so evident in the faces of both Napoleon and Lannes. The amazing level of detail truly is a credit to First Legion, bravo!
Best,
Josh

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 370
I picked up this piece of Napoleon and Lannes at MFCA. It is a beautiful set. But much to the dismay of those that don't like to mix manufacturers.........I plan on adding the new Jenkins Napoleonic ambulance to my display. Frankly, I think it would make a great complimentory add.

Walt DAmon

Walt,
While I use to only collect W Britain, I have come to believe that if the mix makes you happy, then by all means mix. Some companies just don't make something your looking for and as a result you have to mix and match a little. I personally think so far that W Britain and First Legion do work together. Obviously the painting, sculpting, etc are different, but that doesn't put them at odds with one another. So by all means throw that ambulance in there, I'm sure you'll be happy.
Best,
Josh

I picked up this piece of Napoleon and Lannes at MFCA. It is a beautiful set. But much to the dismay of those that don't like to mix manufacturers.........I plan on adding the new Jenkins Napoleonic ambulance to my display. Frankly, I think it would make a great complimentory add.

Walt DAmon
It will work fine.....

How exciting delivery day is, especially when you know you are getting a set as awesome as this one. The emotion is so evident in the faces of both Napoleon and Lannes. The amazing level of detail truly is a credit to First Legion, bravo!
Best,
Josh

Hi Josh ,
I'd say you jumped in with both feet :salute:: That really is a nice review of a very moving piece . Thanks for taking the time to post a picture . My opinion of the French Mounted Artillery Colonel is that its a bit dated it's one of the earlier pieces from FL made in a factory they don't deal with anymore If I remember correctly and IMO they have gotten a whole lot better. I would still say take a shot with it at under a hundred bucks for a mounted figure its still makes for a bargain and a nice addition to your growing FL Napoleonic collection... I like mine :wink2: . best Gebhard

Gebhard,
Thank you, yes I'm leaping in! I've watched this forum longingly for some time now and have decided to go for it. I'm very pleased with my purchases to date and see many more to come. I certainly see some of the Dutch Lancers in my future.
Josh

Ahh, the awesome joy of seeing the UPS man at my door! This joy is only tempered by the terrifying prospect of ever so carefully removing my new figures from First Legion's unyielding packages. Indeed the foam seems loath to reveal their closely guarded treasures, but yield they do. With joy filled eyes and trembling fingers I then do ever so carefully exam each figure and marvel at their detail and color. Bravo First Legion, Bravo! The new Red Lancers are awesome to behold as is the ever fearless Ney. The 18th line officers are perfect and their Eagle is borne with obvious pride, that said I am particularly awed by the amazing Chasseur Eagle bearer. He is probably one of my favorite figures now, the level of detail and emotion conveyed in this figure is beyond compare. I feel as if he will lead the charge across my table right in front of me. Again, well done First Legion/Matt!
Best,
Josh

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 332
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 349
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 342