K&C DAK Collection (1 Viewer)

Hi all:

I'm very new to K&C but really like their Afrikakorps collection (new and old). As a newbie to 1/30 K&C, I have a few questions about the "AK" series of items and was looking for some additional info. I own a few pieces of Collector's Showcase (CS) and some of you may have seen my pictures/posts (mostly in the CS forum). I really like the buildings/structures offered by K&C as well as the British 8th not offered by CS so I plan to purchase some of their DAK "AK" line-up as a start.

• I read that all K&C armored cars have rolling wheels. Is this true of all their non-treaded vehicles (staff cars, motorcycle combos, and airplanes)?
  • Many wonderful pieces have since retired. Are there web sites (here in the US or our neighbors) that are good sources for retired items? I have looked on Ebay and prices on older K&C seem inflated (which I can certainly understand).
  • Does K&C offer special collector/club pieces not sold by most suppliers?
  • How does K&C stack up against the competition? (ie. Collector's Showcase, Figarti, First Legion).
  • Is K&C pretty consistent with their size/scale? (at least within a series like "AK")?
Appreciate any info pertaining to the above. I really enjoy this forum and like reading posts from those of you who have expertise when it comes to miniature collecting.

most recent KC ww2 products are 1/30; the older ones, mostly retired by now, were more 1/32 than 1/30. though they do mix well, in my humble opinion, despite the small size difference

as for rolling wheels; for example AK 222 has rolling wheels; but the planes dont

Various ADs have retired pieces; sometimes you can find them at the classifed section of this forum; or you can post under "wanted" section for a specific set(s) that you want and maybe some private collectors will sell

KC do have club pieces; they are all on the KC website, under "online collectors club"

as for KC vs others; its all a matter of personal taste; some solely collect KC; some mix and match etc

One more thing I would like to add.

The nice thing about the buildings and accessories that you buy for the DAK series is that they can also be used for the other series such as Medieval Knights, Life of Jesus, Italian Forces, etc.

The DAK sculpts were relatively more consistent and refined for its entire range as compared to say earlier Iwo Jima, WS, DD or Russian Army whereby, those early figures were more collectors item than anything but pretty.

In fact, just look an earlier set like AK025, that nice figure with blue scarf. I think you will enjoy hunting these down. But I think it is not going to be cheap though..

Rgds,Chris

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 348
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Hi all:

I'm very new to K&C but really like their Afrikakorps collection (new and old). As a newbie to 1/30 K&C, I have a few questions about the "AK" series of items and was looking for some additional info. I own a few pieces of Collector's Showcase (CS) and some of you may have seen my pictures/posts (mostly in the CS forum). I really like the buildings/structures offered by K&C as well as the British 8th not offered by CS so I plan to purchase some of their DAK "AK" line-up as a start.

• I read that all K&C armored cars have rolling wheels. Is this true of all their non-treaded vehicles (staff cars, motorcycle combos, and airplanes)?
  • Many wonderful pieces have since retired. Are there web sites (here in the US or our neighbors) that are good sources for retired items? I have looked on Ebay and prices on older K&C seem inflated (which I can certainly understand).
  • Does K&C offer special collector/club pieces not sold by most suppliers?
  • How does K&C stack up against the competition? (ie. Collector's Showcase, Figarti, First Legion).
  • Is K&C pretty consistent with their size/scale? (at least within a series like "AK")?
Appreciate any info pertaining to the above. I really enjoy this forum and like reading posts from those of you who have expertise when it comes to miniature collecting.

All the armored cars I have have rolling wheels. and yes, K&C offers special collector/club pieces ( and so does TGM)
Size is pretty consistent and you can find all the retired pieces on : http://cis.niagara.edu/handc/list.php
In my dios I mix K&C with other manufacturers all the time
guy:)

K&C Afrika Korps are the largest part of my collection. As of now all their AK sets are great, you can't go wrong with them. The Eighth Army set are also very well done.

Hi all:

• I read that all K&C armored cars have rolling wheels. Is this true of all their non-treaded vehicles (staff cars, motorcycle combos, and airplanes)? Airplanes and motorcycles, no, to my recollection.
  • Many wonderful pieces have since retired. Are there web sites (here in the US or our neighbors) that are good sources for retired items? I have looked on Ebay and prices on older K&C seem inflated (which I can certainly understand). There are no price list web sites but I used to maintain a price list. To see the items themselves go to toy soldiersusa.com
  • Does K&C offer special collector/club pieces not sold by most suppliers? Generally, yes, but not specifically AK.
  • How does K&C stack up against the competition? (ie. Collector's Showcase, Figarti, First Legion). Figarti vehicles are the best, figures less so; CS figures don't really work with K & C, vehicles ok; and FL, very nice vehicles but figures, size wise and painting don't mix with other brands.
  • Is K&C pretty consistent with their size/scale? (at least within a series like "AK")? Loaded question, but more or less.

I have all the original K & C AK and Eighth Army pieces and there is no better series in my opinion. I haven't purchased recent offerings, except for an occasional piece, primarily because I think the original pieces are better made but mostly due to room.

See answers above.

Brad

Hey guys-

I really appreciate your comments and answering my questions. I finally broke down and purchased a few smaller pieces - the DAK Guardbox AK051 as a start. I've got my eyes on a few more retired sets/vehicles. The stuff is pricey so I'm guessing many build up their awesome collections over time. I also have a smaller 1/32 tabletop diorama (dio) that I enjoy and don't want to stop adding to. In fact, I'm curious how the K&C buildings (desert village collection) would integrate with the 1/32 dio. I'd like to purchase a few pieces of the line-up.

I posted this shot in my review of AK051 as I wanted to see how K&C figures look with Collector's Showcase. Not too bad in my opinion:

8560338089_bf4c81e62a_c.jpg

I have all the original K & C AK and Eighth Army pieces and there is no better series in my opinion. I haven't purchased recent offerings, except for an occasional piece, primarily because I think the original pieces are better made but mostly due to room.

See answers above.

Brad

Brad ,

My journey into the world of modern Toy soldiers began with the K&C AK series...Just happened to see them online while i was looking for a 1/35 Afrika Korps infantry kit...I have loved the Afrika Korps & Rommel since i saw the movie the Desert Fox with James Mason when i was young...
Here is some of my early set's if WO is interested in seeing them !

Joe

Misc 577.jpgMisc 578.jpgMisc 579.jpgMisc 580.jpg

What a great collection Joe- thanks for sharing. Is that a Collector's Showcase 232 in the background. Awesome vehicle!

Speaking of the Rommel movie with James Mason, I'd love to see a modern movie about Rommel and/or the Afrikakorps - sort of like the first 15 minutes of Valkyrie. Are you a Rat Patrol fan as well? I had to buy the box set!

Sorry about the double-post, I extended the limit to edit.

Joe: I've been slowly upgrading my collection over the past few years.

Started back in the 70s:
7641534872_da2939acf7.jpg

Marx Fort Navarone during a new sweater photo op.

Restored new and reissued Marx:
7631331468_429a48af50_z.jpg

Got into Airfix and CTS:
7903572198_2ae37b7ce6_z.jpg

Britains Deetail but unfortunately not the Afrikakorps collection:
7377199344_cdd034f3aa_z.jpg

Upgraded to more detailed Ultimate Soldier and Forces of Valor plastics and die cast vehicles:
8198288982_b35239432f_z.jpg

Discovered retired die cast Oryon figures:
8481757831_47ef265f64_z.jpg

Did some Collector's Showcase:
8552638655_65d627e7d2_c.jpg

And now made my way to the King & Country forum:
8557774173_f49c458ede_z.jpg

I'm still a bit stuck on 1/32 metals but K&C and Collector's Showcase are real nice! - Sort of my history.

Joe,

Those predate my collecting the range and those are based on the Airfix ones, which were also done for the WS range. I believe the first modern one started with AK 11.

Brad

Joe,
I believe the first modern one started with AK 11.
AK 11 looks like a nice set Brad. I just searched Ebay for AK 11 and see that the last one sold was $160. Pricey stuff. Do you think that of the 1/30th brands, the K&C is the "most collectible" in terms of resale value?

What a great collection Joe- thanks for sharing. Is that a Collector's Showcase 232 in the background. Awesome vehicle!

Speaking of the Rommel movie with James Mason, I'd love to see a modern movie about Rommel and/or the Afrikakorps - sort of like the first 15 minutes of Valkyrie. Are you a Rat Patrol fan as well? I had to buy the box set!

Also,own that movie Rat Patrol...with James Mason...The 232 in the pic is just a 1/35 Tamiya kit i built...
I would also love to see a modern movie about Rommel/Afrika Korps...

Joe

Sorry about the double-post, I extended the limit to edit.

Joe: I've been slowly upgrading my collection over the past few years.

Started back in the 70s:
7641534872_da2939acf7.jpg

Marx Fort Navarone during a new sweater photo op.

Restored new and reissued Marx:
7631331468_429a48af50_z.jpg

Got into Airfix and CTS:
7903572198_2ae37b7ce6_z.jpg

Britains Deetail but unfortunately not the Afrikakorps collection:
7377199344_cdd034f3aa_z.jpg

Upgraded to more detailed Ultimate Soldier and Forces of Valor plastics and die cast vehicles:
8198288982_b35239432f_z.jpg

Discovered retired die cast Oryon figures:
8481757831_47ef265f64_z.jpg

Did some Collector's Showcase:
8552638655_65d627e7d2_c.jpg

And now made my way to the King & Country forum:
8557774173_f49c458ede_z.jpg

I'm still a bit stuck on 1/32 metals but K&C and Collector's Showcase are real nice! - Sort of my history.

WO ,

That is a nice pic history of your collecting journey !!

Joe

Joe,

Those predate my collecting the range and those are based on the Airfix ones, which were also done for the WS range. I believe the first modern one started with AK 11.

Brad

Brad ,

Yes , i bought those K&C AK set's in the mid 90's...Also you are right about the WS range...same figures just painted in grey...

Joe

That is a nice pic history of your collecting journey !!
Inspired by your early DAK figures Joe - thanks.

Funny, I think out of all of them, I had the most fun with Marx. Suppose it was part of being a kid and playing vs. collecting.
I've got my eyes on some K&C items so I'm looking forward to the new collection. Their buildings are fantastic! Still got the 1/32 scale tabletop; however, and I'm still expanding the 1/32 scale die cast collection as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back