K&C Event at West Coaster (1 Viewer)

Steven Chong

First Sergeant
Before I summarize Andy's talk, I want to again thank Mike and Myszka Hall of Sierra Toy Soldier Company for organizing the K&C seminar at the West Coaster.:) Andy spoke and answered questions for 1.5 hours and touched on many topics.

After a brief recap of K&C's history and how a figure is produced, Andy talked about K&C San Antonio (not K&C U.S.). He was approached by the owner of Kings X who wanted to sell. Andy saw an opportunity to introduce toy soldier collecting to tourists who visit the Alamo (200 yards away) and who do not know toy soldiers or military miniatures exist. He mentioned that the History Channel typically has about 3 million viewers per night and if a conservative 1% of these viewers were interested in military history and miniatures, there are 30,000 potential collectors out there. If someone becomes interested in collecting toy soldiers because of K&C's store, they could be informed of the nearest K&C dealer to their home. In the future, Andy thinks K&C San Antonio will become the central distribution point for the U.S. market, reducing the present shipping cost to dealers.

Andy talked about planned production (subject to change) for the next several months:

1) AK now available.
2) Eighth Army, Barbarians and Colonial Marines coming next month.
3) In June, 2006, new DD: ambulance jeep, Stuart, figures that would now be sold in single and double sets, and American personalities -- nothing specific but I would guess one would be Gen. Roosevelt.
4) In July, 2006, new Panther (Andy had pictures of finished master -- no apparent changes to tracks and suspension system), motorcycle with sidecar (static pose so wheels will not move), and Atlantic Wall pillbox with 4 German figures. Andy mentioned WS61 was originally supposed to be these 4 figures. Andy did not mention any other details.
5) New IWJ hopefully about a month before the release of Clint Eastwood's Flag of Our Fathers in August. New Japanese and Marines sculpted and painted to K&C's current standards.
6) In July, 2006 and Aug, 2006, 8 Scots Greys and other Napoleonic calvary like Chasseurs. Because Andy liked the original 5 Scots Greys so much, he added 3 more figures, which means Napoleonic artillery will have to come later.
7) More FOB (Dunkirk) in July, 2006.

Andy did not want to discuss anything past August, 2006.

I AGAIN EMPHASIZE that Andy stated things can happen so the above release times are NOT etched in stone.

Andy mentioned he was still working on Warbirds. I asked Andy if he would be doing the Russian Front but he stated the Germans would sell well but not the Russians, so no current plans.

Finally, Andy mentioned he had some surprises in store for us this year. TWO major new series -- "completely different.":)

P.S. Mike and Carlos, please correct me if I misstated anything.

Last edited:
Steven Chong said:
Before I summarize Andy's talk, I want to again thank Mike and Myszka Hall of Sierra Toy Soldier Company for organizing the K&C seminar at the West Coaster.:) Andy spoke and answered questions for 1.5 hours and touched on many topics.

After a brief recap of K&C's history and how a figure is produced, Andy talked about K&C San Antonio (not K&C U.S.). He was approached by the owner of Kings X who wanted to sell. Andy saw an opportunity to introduce toy soldier collecting to tourists who visit the Alamo (200 yards away) and who do not know toy soldiers or military miniatures exist. He mentioned that the History Channel typically has about 3 million viewers per night and if a conservative 1% of these viewers were interested in military history and miniatures, there are 30,000 potential collectors out there. If someone becomes interested in collecting toy soldiers because of K&C's store, they could be informed of the nearest K&C dealer to their home. In the future, Andy thinks K&C San Antonio will become the central distribution point for the U.S. market, reducing the present shipping cost to dealers.

Andy talked about planned production (subject to change) for the next several months:

1) AK now available.
2) Eighth Army, Barbarians and Colonial Marines coming next month.
3) In June, 2006, new DD: ambulance jeep, Stuart, figures that would now be sold in single and double sets, and American personalities -- nothing specific but I would guess one would be Gen. Roosevelt.
4) In July, 2006, new Panther (Andy had pictures of finished master -- no apparent changes to tracks and suspension system), motorcycle with sidecar (static pose so wheels will not move), and Atlantic Wall pillbox with 4 German figures. Andy mentioned WS61 was originally supposed to be these 4 figures. Andy did not mention any other details.
5) New IWJ hopefully about a month before the release of Clint Eastwood's Flag of Our Fathers in August. New Japanese and Marines sculpted and painted to K&C's current standards.
6) In July, 2006 and Aug, 2006, 8 Scots Greys and other Napoleonic calvary like Chasseurs. Because Andy liked the original 5 Scots Greys so much, he added 3 more figures, which means Napoleonic artillery will have to come later.
7) More FOB (Dunkirk) in July, 2006.

Andy did not want to discuss anything past August, 2006.

I AGAIN EMPHASIZE that Andy stated things can happen so the above release times are NOT etched in stone.

Andy mentioned he was still working on Warbirds. I asked Andy if he would be doing the Russian Front but he stated the Germans would sell well but not the Russians, so no current plans.

Finally, Andy mentioned he had some surprises in store for us this year. TWO major new series -- "completely different.":)

P.S. Mike and Carlos, please correct me if I misstated anything.

That was a perfect recollection, I was going to write something up on what Andy said but I'm glad you beat me to the punch. You did a far better job of it that I would have.

Carlos

To both of you, Carlos for the photos and Steven for the summary, thank you very much, you don't know I much I appreciate it.

Pierre.

I will ask Andy this on Friday but did he mention any more WW 2 British troops aside from Dunkirk?

Thanks for the great information, Carlos and Steven, looks like we all have a lot to look forward to in the near future. :D

Fred

Thank you Steven and Carlos for pictures and information on West Coast Show. Excellent report. Leadmen

:confused: Hello Guy's! Again the Motorcycle W/ sidecar , mentioned from Steven's West Coaster Show, is it going to be DAK, or some other German Series? Also, the U.S. Marines need a facelift, for Instance: a LVT4-an Amphiboius Craft with, Turret Artillery Gun,---- a 105Mm Field Howitzer Gun,---- a Mortar Team, ---a Jeep Radio Command Car, ----a Flamethrower Tank? --------Also, Japanese need a " Bamboo Hut" (Like Old Airfix Plastic),--- a NEW Artillery Gun, ---another TanketteTank (Smaller)? Also, Why does Andy think the WINTER RUSSIAN'S wouldn't Sell?

Steven and Carlos,

The pictures were outstanding and the report was excellent! Thanks for keeping the rest of us informed. You did a great job!

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

Well, I couldn't say it any better. Carlos and Steven did an excellent job. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

jazzeum said:
I will ask Andy this on Friday but did he mention any more WW 2 British troops aside from Dunkirk?
No one asked about British troops and Andy did not mention anything.:)

Much thanks to our roving reporters for the West Coaster updates, photos and scuttlebutt. To any collector attending a toy soldier show, always feel free to give a report here on the forum. If we can't make it to the shows, at least we can hear about it here.

johngambale said:
... is it going to be DAK, or some other German Series? ... Also, Why does Andy think the WINTER RUSSIAN'S wouldn't Sell?
I understood the new motorcycle and sidecar would be part of the WS line -- one figure looking through binoculars and one with a submachine gun at ready. Andy said Russians do not sell well, not that they would not sell at all -- his comments could be based on his actual knowledge of sale figures for the RA sets.:)

Were there any sculpts, pictures or drawings of the German pillbox or was it just mentioned as a future release?

Alexdakar said:
Were there any sculpts, pictures or drawings of the German pillbox or was it just mentioned as a future release?
No sculpts, pictures or drawings were shown by Andy, either at the event or in his room.

I did forget to mention that he had masters of new Alamo figures -- but he did not want Carlos or I to take any pictures of them. With the new K&C San Antonio store 200 yards from the Alamo, Andy stated the store needed Alamo figures. These figures would not be exclusive to this store and available to all dealers.:)

Steven Chong said:
No one asked about British troops and Andy did not mention anything.:)

Not enough British representation at the show!

I just want to say kudos to Steven Chong.

He did an outstanding job reporting the spirit of the show and facts circulating around the trading rooms as well as the Hotel lobby and lounges. He and I spent considerable time with Andy C. and James and Rick Wang of Figarti and frankly I don’t think he left anything out that was said or displayed at the show.

Again kudos Steven, you made a difficult but fun job look easy.

Carlos

Hi Guys
Thanks for posting the info on the show.Having never been to a toy soldier show and fairly unlikley to do so in the near future ,I was just wondering [a ball park figure]how many collectors attend a show like the west coaster.
cheers Rob

desk11desk12 said:
...Again kudos Steven, you made a difficult but fun job look easy ...
Carlos,
Thank you for the kind words, but it's NOT a job. :D I greatly appreciate the informative posts from other forum members and want to help make this the most informative toy soldier forum. With that said, I should point out my posts to date have only concentrated on K&C and Figarti. Richard Walker of Britains, Frontline, and Build-a-rama were all at the show. Besides, you posted the photos of the K&C, Britains and Build-a-rama stuff with comments and deserve equal kudos for posting this information.:)

vandilay said:
Hi Guys
Thanks for posting the info on the show.Having never been to a toy soldier show and fairly unlikley to do so in the near future ,I was just wondering [a ball park figure]how many collectors attend a show like the west coaster.
cheers Rob
Dear Rob,
The West Coaster is a small regional show. About 30 dealers open for room trading Friday and Saturday, with more than 60 dealers at the actual show on Sunday. I would guess about 600 collectors attend this show.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back