K&C Mounted Skinner's Horse lancers (1 Viewer)

GT1

Private
Bargain time. I posted these yesterday together with the awesome Skinner's Horse mounted band by Somerset, but the fact that these 3 figures are K&C may have got lost in the mix, so I am reposting them separately here to avoid confusion.

The 3 mounted sowars are K&C (as Louis Badolato correctly posted a couple of years ago on Treefrog: “The K&C Indian Army Lancers have a lance which does not fit into a stirrup holder, and have the left front hoof curled up on the horse.”) They date from 1987-88 when there were some similarities between K&C and Frontline. Many years later, K&C re-issued Skinner’s Horse figures (now also discontinued) but with a base instead of the more elegant free-standing horse and with artwork that was more miniature than glossy toy soldier. Those can be found relatively easily for $79-$90. However, they don’t have the rarity (or, in my opinion, style) of these early K&Cs.

Offer price for the 3: $240
(That's a lot less than I think they're worth but, since I need the money and want close a sale, I’ll be more than happy to entertain counter offers.)

Skinner's Horse Lancers 2.JPGSkinner's Horse Lancers 4.JPGSkinner's Horse Lancers 1.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 5.JPG

Bargain time. I posted these yesterday together with the awesome Skinner's Horse mounted band by Somerset, but the fact that these 3 figures are K&C may have got lost in the mix, so I am reposting them separately here to avoid confusion.

The 3 mounted sowars are K&C (as Louis Badolato correctly posted a couple of years ago on Treefrog: “The K&C Indian Army Lancers have a lance which does not fit into a stirrup holder, and have the left front hoof curled up on the horse.”) They date from 1987-88 when there were some similarities between K&C and Frontline. Many years later, K&C re-issued Skinner’s Horse figures (now also discontinued) but with a base instead of the more elegant free-standing horse and with artwork that was more miniature than glossy toy soldier. Those can be found relatively easily for $79-$90. However, they don’t have the rarity (or, in my opinion, style) of these early K&Cs.

Offer price for the 3: $240
(That's a lot less than I think they're worth but, since I need the money and want close a sale, I’ll be more than happy to entertain counter offers.)

View attachment 130363View attachment 130364View attachment 130365View attachment 130366View attachment 130367
These are beautiful figures at a fantastic price, so please excuse this question as it may be the result of confusion, ignorance, or both. These 3 sowars appear to me to be Somerset production beyond question. They are in every detail identical to the many Somerset sowars that I own, with the exception of the uniform time period color details. Everything is identical, the horse pose, the horse equipment, the figure pose and it's details (especially the way the face is painted), even the lance is identical down to the way the pennants are shaped. Even the horses reins appear to be the same painted string that my Somerset figures have. Are these Somerset figures sold by K&C as Somerset, or figures optioned to K&C by Somerset to be sold as K&C, or what? These figures, as far as I can determine, are Somerset, top to bottom. I am really puzzled. -- Al

Last edited:
Al,

Andy had a license from Ron Leh in the 1980-90s to make some of Somerset's line. I know that he made Camel Corps that look very much look like Somerset's. However, I was not aware that K & C made Sowars under license from Ron. Not saying he didn't, just wasn't aware.

Brad

SPRING892[1].jpg

Al,

Andy had a license from Ron Leh in the 1980-90s to make some of Somerset's line. I know that he made Camel Corps that look very much look like Somerset's. However, I was not aware that K & C made Sowars under license from Ron. Not saying he didn't, just wasn't aware.

Brad

View attachment 130377
.Thanks for that info, Brad. I have seen the KC Camel Corps and knew, through this forum, that KC had done these under license from Somerset. Hadn't heard about the sowers, but it would seem likely this is the same deal. It's just that the figures are identical, even to the painting details of the faces of the sowars with the characteristic Somerset black eyes and eyebrows. I wonder if Ley did the painting before sending them to KC? Heck, I notice that even the white on the lance pennant has a tinge of yellow from a sealent, just like my figures do. It's a puzzle. -- Al

Al,

I would agree. It's a bit of a puzzle.

Maybe Louis can answer.

Brad

For what it's worth, I took them away from the store packed in K&C boxes. I remember buying these from Andy in Hong Kong sometime around 1988 when he was still in the old, original K&C store near the Foreign Correspondents Club. I had just had a pay rise and was celebrating with a lunchtime feeding frenzy at K&C. He had just put out on display the Skinner's Horse mounted band (see my separate post "Ultra Rare Skinner's Horse - Offers Accepted") and the mounted sowars. I bought the mounted band on the spot and 4 of the sowars a week or so later. After my wallet had recovered, I went back for more but my spending plans were diverted by the sudden appearance of the camel corps figures.

By the way, although I'm offering 3 sowars for sale, I still have the 4th one - but he is missing part of his right hand. I'll be happy to include him, horse and lance for free in a sale.

For the person who bought them, regarding the broken figure, my repair person, who is the best around, can make you a hand, if you would like to contact me.

Brad

Congratulations on the sale. Congratulations to the buyer who got wonderful figures at a great price. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back