Ken. Formtech scenery?? (1 Viewer)

nigelhaywood123

Private 2
Hi guys
Always when browsing the Hobby Bunker and others Michtoy etc. do come across the formtech buildings.
Who is formtech, or as Michtoy identify form tech inc. ???????
Some of this stuff looks realy great with great detail. I'm sure Ron Barszo buildings are made up by also?? and possibly maybe few others TSSD etc? Did Ken sculpt the formtech Barszo buildings?? What about the TSSD??

Formtech?? They dont have website. Is no web info. Is no history surrounding?? Who? Where? What?
I'm one of these people that just love a good story behind and love to read up on. Over past few years have always wondered who is this mythical formtech??
Ken Osen stated as saying has sculpted for amongst many others for formtech.
Ken, is this you? are you formtech??

if not, I would have to imagine are just basic foam moulding production manufacturers that sculptors like Ken send to, to be bulk produced and formtech is just the moulding company name, and not an actual product brand name. More a type of synoym on the foam production technique.. I could be wrong?

Very interested to hear any info re ??

Thanks
Nigel

Hi mate
I think is TSSD formtech pages. Have seen before but thanks anyway.
I'm sumising here, but I think Toy Soldiers of San Diego either sculpt their own pieces or commission a sculpt by Ken Osen or similar, and then are factory produced by formtech.
Similarly as with Hobby Bunker, Michigan Toy Soldier, Barszo etc. Each of these sites each carry formtech pieces but some pieces appear exclusive to particular stores/brands.
I think with exception of Ron Barzso, all others call these models formtech.

Maybe I'm wrong???
I'm sure Ken could shed some light on this??

thanks

I'll have a go at this, not sure I will be 100% correct, but away we go;

Formtech is a company in Michigan that produces products made out of lightweight foam, many sorts of things actually from model railroading mountains to halloween masks to scenic pieces for toy soldier collectors and wargamers.

Many companies have used them to run their product; essentially you send them a master of the piece you want them to produce, they make a mold, make a master out of that mold and run the product in whatever quantity you want.

So, Formtech runs the product, the company in question such as Hobby Bunker, TSSD, Barszo, CTS, MTS, etc, etc supplies the model. Formtech also made their own pieces that many toy soldier companies carry (I for example carry their foam products and I custom paint them and sell them either off of my website or at the many shows I attend) and they are very nice pieces.

They do not have a website, nor do they sell direct to the public.

Not sure when Ken Osen comes in with any of this, I am pretty sure he made the masters for many of the Conte terrain items (and I say this without 100% certainty).

That is about all I know on the subject, hope this helps..........

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate
Sounds good. Very good. I dont think you will be very far away here at all.
Was just as I was thinking also, without any factual.
Is supported through dealers only without any company back-up info like you get with all others K&C, WB, Figarti, H&A etc.
Logic suggsets must be production manufacturer only otherwise would surely advertise own brand through own website etc

I'm sure Ken could easily clarify for us all though on his return from Wisconsin, and perhaps shed some more light on for us??

thanks
Nigel

Hi all... I just read this question and will be happy to give you a general answer.

The items that are currently offered to toy soldier collectors are made by at least 4 different manufactures that specialize in Polyurethane foam molding. These manufactures mold the parts for several collectibles companies currently offering products.

There are many artists and pattern makers that have created items that you might see at shows today.

I have made patterns for many of them myself, including TSSD, Conte Collectibles, Formtech, Mountains in Minutes, Barzos and of course Hudson & Allen Studio. It is worth noting that a few of the buildings now offered through Hobby Bunker are buildings that I originally patterned for Mountains in Minutes for the large scale train industry. These have been offered as is, and converted into other buildings for the toy soldier market these past few years, although the original patterns are almost twenty years old now.

Look for several new items from H&A soon in this lightweight and useful material. Note that all of the buildings we offer are completely finished with additional parts made from other materials here in our studio. Polyurethane foam has some limitations so to duplicate details at the level of quality we prefer, this is essential.

I hope this helps!
Ken

Hi all... I just read this question and will be happy to give you a general answer.

The items that are currently offered to toy soldier collectors are made by at least 4 different manufactures that specialize in Polyurethane foam molding. These manufactures mold the parts for several collectibles companies currently offering products.

There are many artists and pattern makers that have created items that you might see at shows today.

I have made patterns for many of them myself, including TSSD, Conte Collectibles, Formtech, Mountains in Minutes, Barzos and of course Hudson & Allen Studio. It is worth noting that a few of the buildings now offered through Hobby Bunker are buildings that I originally patterned for Mountains in Minutes for the large scale train industry. These have been offered as is, and converted into other buildings for the toy soldier market these past few years, although the original patterns are almost twenty years old now.

Look for several new items from H&A soon in this lightweight and useful material. Note that all of the buildings we offer are completely finished with additional parts made from other materials here in our studio. Polyurethane foam has some limitations so to duplicate details at the level of quality we prefer, this is essential.

I hope this helps!
Ken

Hi Ken
thanks for this.

but sorry, i'm still a little confused.
to clarify, do we understand formtech as been individual branded company and one you have made patterns for previous, or one of the 4 polyurethane foam moulding only manufacturers.

I think becomes confusing when some retailers, TSSD, Hobby Bunker, MTS etc call their product formtech and then others like Barszo rebrand in their own name.
Your products are always H&A and never formtech.

Anyway, thanks Ken for shedding some light, and will keep supporting.
many thanks
Nigel

Formtech is one of the four molding companies currently servicing the industry. They also sell some scenic items that are branded as Formtech products that could be adding to your confusion.

MTSC has a habit of referring to all molded Polyurethane items as 'Fromtech' style products and this is incorrect.

As mentioned earlier, to further complicate things I have created patterns for many of these companies so some items have a 'family' appearance in style. This is unlikely to occur again in the future however. The exception might be Vatican Enterprises. The owner Ben Pope, purchased my entire line of 60 plus 28mm Wargame building patterns and still produces and markets them. We continue to have a great relationship and after some brainstorming secessions it is hard to say no to new ideas!

Again, I hope this helps!
Ken

Formtech is one of the four molding companies currently servicing the industry. They also sell some scenic items that are branded as Formtech products that could be adding to your confusion.

MTSC has a habit of referring to all molded Polyurethane items as 'Fromtech' style products and this is incorrect.

As mentioned earlier, to further complicate things I have created patterns for many of these companies so some items have a 'family' appearance in style. This is unlikely to occur again in the future however. The exception might be Vatican Enterprises. The owner Ben Pope, purchased my entire line of 60 plus 28mm Wargame building patterns and still produces and markets them. We continue to have a great relationship and after some brainstorming secessions it is hard to say no to new ideas!

Again, I hope this helps!
Ken

Absolutely, Ken. Many thanks

The mystery surrounding is certainly clarified now, and like you said does certainly 'add to the confusion' when MTSC calling all foam products 'formtech'.
Hobby Bunker and TSSD also calling formtech. Barszo calling Barzso etc. Can be very confusing, and particularly when also have that 'family' appearance in style.

I did have inkling was manufacturer only, otherwise would surely be advertising their brand and product perhaps through own website.

Hopefully is others appreciating your clarification besides just me, and many thanks again for this.

Ken did you get to see my other thread re grass dios. Was closely watching Mikes thread re your visit to his home in Wisconsin, and trying to attempt my own wild grass dio, similar to his ACW.
Any help, tips or advice there very humbly appreciated also
kindest regards with thanks
Nigel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back