King and Country "Style" (3 Viewers)

nmrocks

2nd Lieutenant
I was wondering if many of the K&C fans on the forum like me enjoy K&C because of a style that doesn't rely on absolute proportion and historical accuracy?
I'm having a bit of trouble expressing it exactly but, I kinda like K&C because of a, for lack of a better word, Toyish style?
The filled out figure proportions, the slightly brighter colors? I have bought the Newer, more historically accurate manufacturers figures and no slight to them, I really prefer the more filled out figures and vibrant colors.
Historical accuracy is really great and the ever increasing quality is a plus with all manufacturers, but for me it's not the end all, I thought when I bought the other brand it would kill my desire for K&C but, quite the opposite occured! which really suprised me!
Perhaps others could better express my views?
Ray

Yeah I know what you're say mate. I thinks its the whole K&C culture ;)

For me its the poses & the painting. I think there's an animation in their figures and vehicles that few other manufacturers match or do better....:D

They just seem to get it right most of the time and whats more they seem to listen to collectors and aren't afraid to try something different. :p

Cheers Toddy

Each company needs to develop a distinct style that stays constant.
K and C definitely has a unique style.
Trophy and Imperial also had a "style" You can pick out a Trophy or Imperial or K and C product just by the look by and large. One of the problems with WB during that company's nadir was that no two figures looked alike. Now that has been corrected there is once again a constant style to the WB figures.
CS is developing it's own unique figure style. There is no doubt it evolved over the last few years. CS first figures did not really appeal but Brian has stuck to his guns and changed the style sufficiently to still appeal to collectors but to be distinct from K and C. First Legion is another company that is developing well and has opted for a distinct style. They have made a decision to make their WWII soldiers totally incompatible with K and C. This is to distinguish them as company and a product. K and C obviously have a very popular style as they remain the dominant toy soldier company today. Even though the products have improved from K and C over the last ten years you would still say that DD1 was made by the same company that makes the current British Landing Craft.

Wouldn't be here if I didn't like it. I hope they stay doing just what they're doing. Very few complaints. The only one I can remember is the Arnhem guy with the umbrella. His back, head, & neck are so straight it is as if he has the umbrella stuck up his rear end. Over the top on that one for me.

I've been wondering if someone would post this.Its exactly because of their style that I collect K&C,for me its right on the button.The first time I saw their figures back in London some seven or eight years back I knew they were the best on the market,and my opinion remains the same.Yes there is now lots of competition no doubt,but K&C's style for me is the big draw.Somehow the figures define WW2 Toy Soldiers,and when you add the scope and depth of their releases its everything I'm looking for in a collection.

Now I know some people will profoundly disagree with the above statement,but my opinion is K&C are still doing the business,long may it continue:).

Rob

We are living in the " Golden Age " of Military Miniature collecting,K&C have become my main focus,for the moment,cant call them "Toy Soldiers",they are way too expensive to call them "Toys".It brings more credibility to collecting if we term them "Military Miniatures or "Military Figures"."Toys" to me are little crappie plastic objects children play with ,to call Figures that retail from £25 + and Vehicles that retail from £95+ "Toys" seems somewhat strange and immature.I take my hobby very serious and consider no item in my collection as a "Toy".I have only recently started to collect K&C pieces because they are beginning to look like serious colector pieces,rather than "toys",the recent releases are fantastic,a vast improvement from earlier releases that i have little interest in adding to my "Military Miniature" collection.K&C are clearly improving their product quality in line with the competetive market they find themslves in and i am sure will continue to strive to make further improvements.

We are living in the " Golden Age " of Military Miniature collecting,K&C have become my main focus,for the moment,cant call them "Toy Soldiers",they are way too expensive to call them "Toys".It brings more credibility to collecting if we term them "Military Miniatures or "Military Figures"."Toys" to me are little crappie plastic objects children play with ,to call Figures that retail from £25 + and Vehicles that retail from £95+ "Toys" seems somewhat strange and immature.I take my hobby very serious and consider no item in my collection as a "Toy".I have only recently started to collect K&C pieces because they are beginning to look like serious colector pieces,rather than "toys",the recent releases are fantastic,a vast improvement from earlier releases that i have little interest in adding to my "Military Miniature" collection.K&C are clearly improving their product quality in line with the competetive market they find themslves in and i am sure will continue to strive to make further improvements.

Well guys,all of us who've ever called them Toy Soldiers are apparently immature!;)

Rob

I tend to call most of them toy soldiers. For me to call them military miniatures I want a very high level of accurate detail including the correct size (scale) of all parts, the correct camo colours and weathering, and the exact division symbols and vehicle numbering specific to an actual vehicle which existed during the war.

Terry

I've heard the term "the Chinese style" applied to K&C and Frontline, and before them, King-White (Reeves). The term identified the origin of the figures--Hong Kong in the beginning, and later, both Hong Kong and the mainland; the level of detail of the castings, more detailed, say, than classic toy soldiers as exemplified by classic Britains or Johillco, but not as detailed as some miniatures; and the style of painting, which was and still is distinct from other figures. I think it's an appropriate and useful term to use.

Prost!
Brad

I tend to call most of them toy soldiers. For me to call them military miniatures I want a very high level of accurate detail including the correct size (scale) of all parts, the correct camo colours and weathering, and the exact division symbols and vehicle numbering specific to an actual vehicle which existed during the war.

Terry

Lets be honest,they have forever been known as Toy Soldiers.No one actually 'plays' with them as they did as kids,but they will forever be known as Toy Soldiers and most of us are very proud of being Toy Soldier collectors,even if they are nothinng like the plastic Airfix soldiers we played with as kids .

Rob

Lets be honest,they have forever been known as Toy Soldiers.No one actually 'plays' with them as they did as kids,but they will forever be known as Toy Soldiers and most of us are very proud of being Toy Soldier collectors.

Rob

Sorry Rob, but when I am setting them up in dioramas, I am playing with them :cool: Just like when I was 8 years old. The difference now is they are not set up in dirt in the back yard having to survive a bombardment of pebbles and firecrackers. :D

Terry

I don't think the term is all that important. It's like calling all adhesive tape Scotch tape when "Scotch" actually refers to a specific brand. I like the K & C style and although I know historical accuracy is important and you should strive for 100 percent accuracy, well, that's all I'll say....;)

Sorry Rob, but when I am setting them up in dioramas, I am playing with them :cool: Just like when I was 8 years old. The difference now is they are not set up in dirt in the back yard having to survive a bombardment of pebbles and firecrackers. :D

Terry

:D
In that case I'll come and knock at your door and swap some football stickers for some of your Toy Soldiers,mind you the Air fare to Canada may negate any profit from the deal!!!!:eek:;)

Rob

I don't think the term is all that important. It's like calling all adhesive tape Scotch tape when "Scotch" actually refers to a specific brand. I like the K & C style and although I know historical accuracy is important and you should strive for 100 percent accuracy, well, that's all I'll say....;)

A master class in diplomacy Brad!;)

Rob

You're dodging the question. Do you play with your toy soldiers or not :rolleyes::D:D

Terry

You're dodging the question. Do you play with your toy soldiers or not :rolleyes::D:D

Terry

I wouldn't blame Brad if he did,I could perfectly understand if he gave some of his figures Forum names and lined them up to be knocked down with aforementioned Fireworks and Marbles!!;)

Rob

A master class in diplomacy Brad!;)

Rob

Have to be.

Now for the usual disclaimer: these are just my opinions as a five year TS/MM collector, not one of the moderators.

Certainly the K&C figures mostly have a distinctive style that Ray has very well described. As in everything, it will appeal to some and not appeal to others; I think some of their figures have a more accurate and more muted style which appeals to me more. The joy of the current period is there are good choices and alternatives for whatever style you prefer.

I would guess in reality K&C figures, especially their WW2 line, the colors are way to bright. having said that, that is the attraction. I recently shifted my figures from one display room to another, and marveled at how well done K&C figures are. They still are the best, period!
Gary

BTW, no toy soldiers were harmed in the making of my posts :D:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back