King & Country Egyptian Pharaohs Chariot needing repair (1 Viewer)

nmrocks

2nd Lieutenant
So for many years I have had the K&C AE003 The Pharaohs Chariot, as is well known it is one of if not THE most fragile pieces K&C has ever produced. Beautifully rendered but the main axle of the chariot is of the same relatively soft metal as the rest of the set and is woefully under strength causing the chariot body to sag and the wheels bend in. Unfortunately for me during one move the axle snapped cleanly off one side and I'm looking at possibly getting it repaired. (think the whole axle assembly needs to be replaced with a more rigid material)
That being said, in the end I'm going to sell it anyway so i don't know if it's worth repairing or not?
Anyone want to recommend someone for the work?
Ray

So for many years I have had the K&C AE003 The Pharaohs Chariot, as is well known it is one of if not THE most fragile pieces K&C has ever produced. Beautifully rendered but the main axle of the chariot is of the same relatively soft metal as the rest of the set and is woefully under strength causing the chariot body to sag and the wheels bend in. Unfortunately for me during one move the axle snapped cleanly off one side and I'm looking at possibly getting it repaired. (think the whole axle assembly needs to be replaced with a more rigid material)
That being said, in the end I'm going to sell it anyway so i don't know if it's worth repairing or not?
Ray

Hi Ray,

Are you in the UK?

Let me know.

Regards,

Malcolm. :salute::

Ray

That's a shame Ray, as that's such an easy repair. All that is required is a new axle made from a solid piece of brass rod and cut to length (from the hobby shop) - and two new holes drilled into each of the wheels to accept the new axle. Then - just a touch of glue to fix wheels to axles - and with just a little care with the glue, the wheels will rotate freely. Probably the most difficult part would be matching up the paintwork - where it needs re-touching in afterwards - but that isn't too difficult either.

Whenever I build any new wheeled vehicle ( such as my new Chuck Wagon, for example), - I always use brass rod for the axles first - and drill out the wheel hubs to accept it.

If I lived close enough - I'd do it for you - BUT - I don't, unfortunately. And given the fragility of the piece - entrusting it to some carrier service might not be the best option either. Maybe safer to find someone closer that you can physically take it to?? How far away is KV from you????

But I see where you are coming from with this - as if you want to sell it on - it will be as a repair... Tricky one..........

Best of luck anyhoo.................jb:salute::

My repair man is the best in the world. His specialty is fixing King & Country. I can provide references from Forum members if needed. He makes things look better than new.

Brad

That's a shame Ray, as that's such an easy repair. All that is required is a new axle made from a solid piece of brass rod and cut to length (from the hobby shop) - and two new holes drilled into each of the wheels to accept the new axle. Then - just a touch of glue to fix wheels to axles - and with just a little care with the glue, the wheels will rotate freely. Probably the most difficult part would be matching up the paintwork - where it needs re-touching in afterwards - but that isn't too difficult either.

Whenever I build any new wheeled vehicle ( such as my new Chuck Wagon, for example), - I always use brass rod for the axles first - and drill out the wheel hubs to accept it.

If I lived close enough - I'd do it for you - BUT - I don't, unfortunately. And given the fragility of the piece - entrusting it to some carrier service might not be the best option either. Maybe safer to find someone closer that you can physically take it to?? How far away is KV from you????

But I see where you are coming from with this - as if you want to sell it on - it will be as a repair... Tricky one..........

Best of luck anyhoo.................jb:salute::

Hi Jb,
not quite as simple as that my friend, at least for me due to the wheel and axle

Hi Jb,
not quite as simple as that my friend, at least for me due to the wheel and axle

Ouch! What a shame Ray - a beautiful piece, for sure.

A cheap-and-cheerful way of repairing that Ray - would be to get someone to firstly straighten the axle with a gentle application of a smooth jawed pair of pliers. ( smooth jaws leave no marks - with careful bending). Then, once the axle is straightened - drill into the centre of the wheel part of the axle to about 5mm depth. Do the same into the centre of the axle that's fixed to the underside of the chariot (using a hand pin-vice - as it's gentle way of drilling). Then, pin both parts together using a piece of steel ( such as a strong paper-clip) cut to fit the depth each way - and using epoxy resin glue as adhesive. Okay, the wheel won't spin ( if they did before?) - but it will be stronger than previously. Then, it's just a repaint. As you have the existing colour scheme - it is relatively easy to mix paints to match, closely enough - especially as the fix is underneath the chariot, and the inside of the wheels.

The other attached wheel could be gently bent back - the same way. If it snaps off - repeat the repair method for the detached wheel - although if it was mine - I would remove the old axle entirely - and make a new axle from brass rod.

As I said earlier - it's not that difficult a repair, for someone familiar with such techniques.

Do you have any Modelling/ Toy Soldier Clubs near to where you live????? jb

JB,
I appreciate your suggestions for repair, but I'm looking for a true "fix" more than restoral? if i restore the item it will still be vulnerable to sagging and bending I think replacing the axle is probably the only way to do that.
Ray

JB,
I appreciate your suggestions for repair, but I'm looking for a true "fix" more than restoral? if i restore the item it will still be vulnerable to sagging and bending I think replacing the axle is probably the only way to do that.
Ray

Agreed.

Another idea - would be to perhaps place a support underneath the chariot and down to the base. At least that would stop the same thing happening again. Not aesthetically pleasing - but practical.

However - I do agree - a new axle in non-bending material - either steel or brass - would really be the best fix of all. As stated - if it were mine - that's what I would do too. jb

So it's been a long journey, but I just received the fully restored and magnificiently repaired Egyptian Chariot!
Brad and the service he recommended really restored to better than new status.
I would recommend this service to even the most difficult problems.
Ray

It's a beauty, excellent to see it back to it's former glory. Worth the effort. Robin.

Time for a shameless. commercial plug ^&grin

Mike DeMarco, who repaired the chariot, is simply the best repairman around, at least in the U.S. There is virtually nothing he can't fix. He has repaired countless figures for members here, from doing simple touch ups to repairing parts and even making new parts when necessary. He is on his tenth box for Tom Dubel. He is an excellent painter as he owns LeMans Toy Soldiers and recently painted soldiers for Rich Schuster for an exhibition at the NY Historical Society. He has also painted figures for Zach Lang.

If anyone is interested in his services, please contact me. There is also a thread under the Services section showing photos of his work.

Ray...

I'm delighted the repair worked out for you...

it looks great...

it's a beautiful piece but extremely fragile...

now...

put it in your display cabinet...

and touch it with your eyes...

not your hands...^&grin...^&grin...^&grin...

Ray...

I'm delighted the repair worked out for you...

it looks great...

it's a beautiful piece but extremely fragile...

now...

put it in your display cabinet...

and touch it with your eyes...

not your hands...^&grin...^&grin...^&grin...

Your right Mike, actually BETTER! than the original, just finished putting together some Ikea book cases were it will be proudly displayed.
Ray

So it's been a long journey, but I just received the fully restored and magnificiently repaired Egyptian Chariot!
Brad and the service he recommended really restored to better than new status.
I would recommend this service to even the most difficult problems.
Ray

That's a really excellent repair Ray. So good - you would never really know it had ever been broken ( but for the before and after pics in the thread). Once the trauma of the break has passed - there is really no feeling better, than to be able to "bring back", something to as it appeared before. Better than new, really - as you know that the repair in a stronger material than before, and has 'improved' the figure.

Mike is good Ray, very good indeed. jb

That's a really excellent repair Ray. So good - you would never really know it had ever been broken ( but for the before and after pics in the thread). Once the trauma of the break has passed - there is really no feeling better, than to be able to "bring back", something to as it appeared before. Better than new, really - as you know that the repair in a stronger material than before, and has 'improved' the figure.

Mike is good Ray, very good indeed. jb

Jb,
you are correct he truly is the best at this, I've already dent a new box of First Legion Napoleonics in need of minor repair.
Part of the back story is you could see from past photos how fragile the axle was, it's been totally replaced and was actually shipped with no support under the chariot which would have be catastrophic with the original.
Ray

Well after the sucess with the chariot I sent Brad anf Mike 4 First Legion Wurtemburg infantry I had purchased from a European Gentleman a couple of years back. On the trip over ALL 4 bayonets where broken off! I blame First Legions original packaging for putting pressure and breaking the bayonets, regardless these are the repaired figures, another wonderful restoral job, I remain a strong fan and would recommend them to anyone who needs help.
Ray

Ray...

bayonets are a hard fix...

especially to keep them from re-breaking...

yours look good...

These were a hard fix because the metal FL uses is very thin. One bayonet had to be made from scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back