King & Country Glossies (1 Viewer)

HB120050

Private 1st Class
Sad to see there's been no activity on this subject for a year. Is there no interest in glossies other than by individuals with old time collections? I had some of the early WS and LAH sets, but let them go a few years ago. I always enjoyed them though and still like seeing and hearing about them. Is anyone interested in glossies anymore?

I still have my big Glossy K&C diorama of the Siege of Chitral as the centerpiece of my collection. I haven't posted anything recently, because I have almost all of the K&C Glossy figures, and haven't found anything I don't have since the last time I posted. I hope people are still interested in these early glossy figures, as they are the foundation upon which Andy built King & Country.

Anything shiny is good for me! Somehow these "ultra realistic" model soldiers etc don't do much for me.

Show me a well painted glossy in good old fashioned toy soldier style especially if it has a red coat!

I am a huge fan of glossy figures. I have a large collection of Russian figures, but there is still something magical about gloss!!!

Like Louis, I have a large collection of K & C glossies but have almost everything except for a few pieces, which are a bit difficult to find. At this point I’m not purchasing anymore K & C glossies.

I don’t think many are interested in K & C gloss any more and except for the musical sets, the prices reflect the drop off in interest.

Sad to see there's been no activity on this subject for a year. Is there no interest in glossies other than by individuals with old time collections? I had some of the early WS and LAH sets, but let them go a few years ago. I always enjoyed them though and still like seeing and hearing about them. Is anyone interested in glossies anymore?
Here are some photos of my K&C Glossy Collection. First a diorama of the relief of the Siege of Chitral, designed and executed by Gordon Nielson himself at the third New York Symposium, around 15 years ago, using a circa 1995 K&C Wood and Papier Mache Roman Fortress, and some diorama materials purchased from a local hobby shop. 90% of the figures on the diorama are glossy K&C, with a sprinkling of Trophy, Heco Tinplate Models, and Metalshed items:

Attachments

• K&C Glossy 1.jpg
    K&C Glossy 1.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 401
  • K&C Glossy 2.jpg
    K&C Glossy 2.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 402
  • K&C Glossy 3.jpg
    K&C Glossy 3.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 396
  • K&C Glossy 4.jpg
    K&C Glossy 4.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 394
  • K&C Glossy 6.jpg
    K&C Glossy 6.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 395
Next, some K&C Shelf dioramas depicting the Zulu War, US Civil War, US War of Independence and the Napoleonic Era:

Attachments

• K&C Glossy 8.jpg
    K&C Glossy 8.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 413
  • K&C Glossy 7.jpg
    K&C Glossy 7.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 391
  • K&C Glossy 12.jpg
    K&C Glossy 12.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 397
  • K&C Glossy 13.jpg
    K&C Glossy 13.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 413
And finally, some K&C Glossy Romans, the Alamo (with some Edmunds Traditional Toy Soldiers as well), and a parade ground with a selection of K&C Bands:

Attachments

• K&C Glossy 9.jpg
    K&C Glossy 9.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 391
  • K&C Glossy 10.jpg
    K&C Glossy 10.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 390
  • K&C Glossy 11.jpg
    K&C Glossy 11.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 548
I'm the second largest glossy collector on the planet :rolleyes: I still buy anything I don't have and at a discount making it even better!

Good to hear there's still some life in the glossy market. I see that there are 155 current K&C glossy listings and 18 sold listings on eBay. Thanks to all for your input!

I managed to pick up a nice circa 1995 K&C Papier Mache Hong Kong Row House and a couple of glossy Streets of Old Hong Kong figures to add to my glossy K&C displays:

Attachments

• K&C Hong Kong Row Houses.jpg
    K&C Hong Kong Row Houses.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 285
I have been in the hobby this time 45 years, but never collected the early production Glossy Highlanders. When these were produced by K&C in the early 80`s I was focused on Pre WW 1 Britains, especially Boer War sets ,and Heyde`s. Now I`m concentrating on accumulating Gloss Highlanders both in Khaki and Garrison uniforms. Reminds me of all those early movies. "Drum,4 Feathers, Wee Winnie Winkle, Gunga Din" just to name a few! My attitude now a days is "Support Social Distancing, and Buy, Collect, and Play with Toy Soldiers! "Picked up my first sets from Hans H at the last CTSS show ,and realized how Ignorant and Uninformed I was on these. Yep! You guys are not ALONE!

I managed to pick up a nice circa 1995 K&C Papier Mache Hong Kong Row House and a couple of glossy Streets of Old Hong Kong figures to add to my glossy K&C displays:

I picked up this K&C classic Charlie Chaplin figure, to replace one I had to sell off after my first surgery a couple of years back:

Attachments

• K&C Glossy Charlie Chaplin 1 (2).jpg
    K&C Glossy Charlie Chaplin 1 (2).jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 198
  • K&C Glossy Charlie Chaplin 2 (2).jpg
    K&C Glossy Charlie Chaplin 2 (2).jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 206
Of the three entertainment related sets K & C made (Chaplin, Elvis and the Beatles) the one I’ve wanted (but not in a I have to have it all costs mentality) is the Beatles but I’ve never been able to find one at a price that was within some sort of reason.

Is that what the first generation of the backdrop pieces were made of, Louis-papier mache?

Prost!
Brad

Is that what the first generation of the backdrop pieces were made of, Louis-papier mache?

Prost!
Brad

The early pieces, WW II backlot buildings (I have two of them) and SOHK were made of papier-mâché.

Louis, did you buy the building at the recent OTS auction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back