King Tiger Opinions? Comments (2 Viewers)

Vezzolf

2nd Lieutenant
I received the new K/C King Tiger today along with the germans medics and Schiwmmwagen.......The medic set and the schiwmmwagen are excellent+++ but I have mixed feelings regarding the King Tiger.........It does not come up to what my exspectations of it would be.....For me it lacks realistic weathering.... the mud on the fenders is not realistic and in general it is too similar in style to the earlier K/C "Polystone LooK"........the grills are a big improvement..... BUT......IMO it does not measure up to the Tunsian Tiger nor the dessert Panzer IV in quality.......I would not discourage purchasing it and its scale is correct but I was exspecting a "better detailed" less flat appearing model.......IMO.....Thank you Vezzolf

I received the new K/C King Tiger today along with the germans medics and Schiwmmwagen.......The medic set and the schiwmmwagen are excellent+++ but I have mixed feelings regarding the King Tiger.........It does not come up to what my exspectations of it would be.....For me it lacks realistic weathering.... the mud on the fenders is not realistic and in general it is too similar in style to the earlier K/C "Polystone LooK"........the grills are a big improvement..... BUT......IMO it does not measure up to the Tunsian Tiger nor the dessert Panzer IV in quality.......I would not discourage purchasing it and its scale is correct but I was exspecting a "better detailed" less flat appearing model.......IMO.....Thank you Vezzolf

Any change of some pics :confused:;)

Any change of some pics :confused:;)

I'm sorry I don't have a digital camera..... maybe it's just that I had very high exspectations for this model...but...detailed realistic weathering would have made a fair to good model much better......IMO:eek:

I too was initially disappointed about the lack of weathering. But, I'm surprised to hear someone is disappointed with it overall. It looks great in the pictures.

If it makes you feel better, the King Tigers in Bulge were most likely very recent production.

Well I picked this up for half the price = Rc 1/16 all singing & dancing 1/16 King Tiger
rscn3534am5.jpg
[/URL]

I have no reservations about the lack of "road wear". This is a great model with a tremendous paint job. It is very subdued and accurate to color from what I can tell from my books. Who is to say that the tank didn't just come off the assembly line or benefit from a new paint job? It looks great. -- lancer

I think the weathering is fine, and comparable to the weathering for all the other KC vehicles I have. I would much rather have an "under"-weathered vehicle with colors that draw the eye. Years back, I got the FOV King Tiger and it was so "weathered" that you couldn't make out the camouflage at all. It was dark and uniformly tan.
Should it be muddier if it's tearing through the mud and muck of Ardennes roads? Probably. But then you've got what happened to the Normandy Panther. I love the Panther--the crew is outstanding and when they're combined with summer riders and foilage the vehicle is gorgeous. BUT...
The decision to carve brush and hedgerow into the vehicle itself is unfortunate.
I guess I would rather have a cleaner vehicle that I can decorate to suit my needs. Would I paint dirt or dust onto a $225 KT? Nah.

Although the degree of weathering is a personal perference........when it is done right and not overdone everyone knows it.......In my view the king tiger is lacking something.....(please see post#1 of this thread).......it seems to have the "polystone look" of the jagpanther and the previous smaller king tigers..... .....It is not by any means the worst K/C armour but is far from their best.....again the "mud" on the fenders is very unrealistic in my opinion.......With K/C prices rising rapidly better efforts at subtle weathering should follow.......I think their best efforts at realism were the Tunsian Tiger and the dessert panzer.....also the grey panzer.........again I don't think it is a poor model.....I just exspected more......

Yeah, but also realize that it's not an equal relationship. Weathing a single color like Dark Grey or Desert Sand is a whole lot easier than weathering a complicated camo scheme.

I am still wainting for my KT, but I already know weathering is so much a personal preference. Lot's of people like the Figarti PzIVF2, but to me it looks like it got dragged upside down from Egypt to Tunisia.

I can't wait to get mine. I heard some great things about it.

I like the KT. However, I'd like it better if it was more affordable. I thought the Tunisian Tiger would be my most expensive model. I'm being even more selective than ever. Love the turret. Ultimately I would want the tank crewmen to be the same size as the regular soldiers. Now a tank that big would be a true 1/30 scale.

Hi Guys,

Well as ‘Honest Abe’ said “You can please some of the people… some of the time… But you’ll never please all of the people… all of the time!” or something like that.

I never like to disappoint any customer or collector but at the end of the day… opinions are like noses… everyone’s got one!

Overall out latest King Tiger has been very well received by a very large number of K&C collectors all over the world at a very difficult time for all of us (K&C included). So, I thank all of you and send my commiserations to the disappointed few.

Best wishes and… happy collecting!
Andy C.

I have to say that I think it's one of the best tanks K&C as done to date. Mines on my desk covered with riders, and it looks great ! Only problem I have is that it's such a beast it doesn't quite fit in my wall display :eek:

I just remembered a tidbit regarding the new panzers of the Bulge. When Bradley first learned of fully fleshed heavy panzer divisions crossing the border en masse, Bradley exclaimed "where the hell did that SOB get all this stuff?"

The s.SS.Pz.Abt.101 (101st SS Heavy Tank Battalion) which fought in Normandy lost all of it's equipment in that campaign. When it was reconstituted it was redesignated s.SS.Pz.Abt.501 (501st SS Heavy Tank Battalion). It took roughly two months to bring the unit up to strength (45 Tiger IIs) and the last 11 were a transfer from s.H.Pz.Abt.509 (509th Army Heavy Tank Battalion).

Deliveries looked like this:
17.10.44 - 4
18.10.44 - 2
11.11.44 - 8
21.11.44 - 8
28.11.44 - 4
1.12.44 - 5
3.12.44 - 3
4.12.44 - 11 (from 509)

By time the war ended the unit consisted of two Jagdtigers.

.... Ultimately I would want the tank crewmen to be the same size as the regular soldiers. Now a tank that big would be a true 1/30 scale.
What does that mean? Are not the crew of these vehicles the same scale as the rest of the figures in the WW II line?

I do not know what that means either. My figures in the new K2 sure appear to be the same size as my other KC figures. -- lancer

All i can say is that i saw the tiger in person in chicago and it was awesome. now i have been known to be critical on camo uniforms in the past so i call like it is. and i think that it would be a big mistake not to purchse the king tiger.

What does that mean? Are not the crew of these vehicles the same scale as the rest of the figures in the WW II line?

The tank crewmen alot of the times, in my opinion, is slightly smaller than the regular soldiers. So if you made a tank to accomodate the regular soldiers, the tank would be slightly bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back