Labayen miniatures for sale (1 Viewer)

Luis Esteban

Private
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum. My name is Luis Esteban from Spain and I think this is an incredible forum for all fans of toy soldier´s world.
I am a modeler and also a collector of classic toy soldiers of the 20th century. Among the many miniatures I own, I would like to sell this small collection of Labayen miniatures manufactured between 1970 and 1980, and painted by Arturo and Fermín Galarreta, two of the best painters of the Labayen workshop.
The state of the miniatures is perfect, as you can see in the detailed photographs, and I can sell them one by one or in groups.
If someone is interested, please contact me by private message or in my email lmesteban64@gmail.com
Many thanks and I hope you like my collection of Labayen miniatures.

02.JPG

04.JPG

06.JPG

Very beautiful pieces - can see where some current companies got inspiration.

Anyone have a $ point of reference for pieces like these?

Gorgeous collection. I am not familiar with them as a manufacturer, so, what scale are they? -- Al

Gorgeous collection. I am not familiar with them as a manufacturer, so, what scale are they? -- Al

54mm, Al. Labayen's figures were available finished or in kit form. I have several kits of his Prussian hussars in my stash, awaiting finishing.

If I am not mistaken, Sr. Labayen just passed away within the last year or two. I recall an article in "Toy Soldier & Model Figure", I believe. I think he was in his 80s, but I don't recall exactly; this is off the top of my head. His career bridges the time from the beginning of the military miniatures, so, contemporary with Stadden, for example, to the resurgence in collecting toy soldiers and military miniatures in the late 80s/early 90s.

While they may be a little dated compared to our contemporary resin or white metal figure kits, they are still of a very high quality. You can find painters on PlanetFigure or TimeLines who still paint them. And these are beautifully done.

I'll have to dig up the article I'm thinking of and post it back here.

Prost!
Brad

At the risk of butting in too deeply between the seller and potential customers, I would look at current connoisseur figures as a reference, both for the quality of the painting and of the sculpts. I would then factor in the relative rarity of Labayen figures, finished, on the market today.

I search for them occasionally on eBay, looking specifically for kits of subjects from the Seven Years War. Kits and finished figures do not come up all too frequently. But here is one current auction (the only one):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colonel-She...266608?hash=item3f6fd67a30:g:JJMAAOSwdIFXxaSg

I do not know that seller, or Luis Esteban, for that matter, and I have no connection to that eBay auction. It is merely an auction I found in my searches.

Now, that is the eBay seller's asking price. We'd have to watch that auction to its end tomorrow, to see whether it sells, at that price, and to judge better whether that seller is asking too much. But one auction is too small a sample for forming an educated opinion.

Prost!
Brad

I just noticed that my search also returned another example, an auction in France:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soldat-de-p...866938?hash=item41b889197a:g:5AcAAOSwFdtXyo-j

This seller is asking 11 Teueros for his piece. Now, the quality of the painting is not very good. I have to reach to my German for a good word for it: gräßlich. So now we have two samples, with different asking prices, and of quite different levels of quality. Still not quite enough to make a good judgment, but I think my rough estimate of comparing these figures to other connoisseur figures available today, is a valid one.

Prost!
Brad

Interesting things TS collecting.

If I was local to Spain as opposed to opposite side of the world, and I could pop by to see these in person, I'm pretty sure I'd have a dozen of those to take home, yet I almost have an allergic response to buying pieces I can't 'see'.

I hope the seller gets a great price and with a bit of luck, the whole collection is sold together.

Be interested to see what happens. The e-bay price for the better painted model seems a little high but it's a single piece only. Sure if 10, 20 or the whole lot were sold then the price would be quite reasonable.

Best of luck with your sale. Lovely looking pieces.

At the risk of butting in too deeply between the seller and potential customers, I would look at current connoisseur figures as a reference, both for the quality of the painting and of the sculpts. I would then factor in the relative rarity of Labayen figures, finished, on the market today.

I search for them occasionally on eBay, looking specifically for kits of subjects from the Seven Years War. Kits and finished figures do not come up all too frequently. But here is one current auction (the only one):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colonel-She...266608?hash=item3f6fd67a30:g:JJMAAOSwdIFXxaSg

I do not know that seller, or Luis Esteban, for that matter, and I have no connection to that eBay auction. It is merely an auction I found in my searches.

Now, that is the eBay seller's asking price. We'd have to watch that auction to its end tomorrow, to see whether it sells, at that price, and to judge better whether that seller is asking too much. But one auction is too small a sample for forming an educated opinion.

Prost!
Brad

This is Eduardo Garcia, every figures he paints is offered at more than a fair price . The guy collected a fair amount of medals in various competitions
http://www.egminiaturas.com/Francais.html

I just noticed that my search also returned another example, an auction in France:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soldat-de-p...866938?hash=item41b889197a:g:5AcAAOSwFdtXyo-j

This seller is asking 11 Teueros for his piece. Now, the quality of the painting is not very good. I have to reach to my German for a good word for it: gräßlich. So now we have two samples, with different asking prices, and of quite different levels of quality. Still not quite enough to make a good judgment, but I think my rough estimate of comparing these figures to other connoisseur figures available today, is a valid one.

Prost!
Brad

The figurine here is so badly painted, that I can assure you that it's not a Labayen studio painting, should I bit on this one, I would offer 10$ maximum .

Those are real studio painted . Completely out of production . Ask yourself; what is the price of a First Legion OOP ?
They were painted with Plaka by renowned painters and not mass production painted by perfect nobodies as products from China are . So I dare to say that the reference would be near the price of E Garcia
Just note; those are not first releases of early 60ies ( those were soldered on a flat sheet of metal ) but they date of the 70ies 80ies .
In the 70ies original studio painting were sold around 15$ in Europe . I have seen lot of them in a shop in Brussels
Best

Thank you very much for your comments.

The value of this collection lies in having been painted by Ramón Labayen's painters in the 70's or 80's.
I think its quality can be seen well in the photos.

The price for each figure is 100 US Dollars (130 US Dollars horses / 115 US Dollars flags), but if the purchase exceeds a reasonable amount, the price would be lower. ;)

Luis, very nice blog. I read Spanish, having grown up overseas and lived in Barcelona and Madrid back in the late 1960s and 1970s.

Are all the soldiers you're selling French Army or do you have other nationalities?

Saludos,

Brad

I watched the entire Noticiario Diario. It was like going back in a time machine. Very enjoyable!

The clip about Labayen is well worth watching even if you don't speak Spanish.

Many thanks Brad, ......going back time machine, yes, yes !!! :D:D:D

The Labayen´s soldiers are almost entirely the Napoleonic army, but there are also a few Spanish, Prussian and British from the same time, if you look there are some in my cabinet ;)

Best regards

Luis, thanks. I may go back and watch a few of those NoDos from the 60s. I will have to tell some friends from Barcelona to take a look.

Do you think you could take a photo of the Prussians and the Spanish. I may be interested in a couple of them.

Thanks.

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back