Life In the American South of the 1860s (1 Viewer)

These are all wonderful scenes Randy. You've done yet another fine job at bringing the Hocker sets to life.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

Mark

I suppose some of Hocker's sets would work for the "innocence" period when people thought it would be a quick war, fought for limited objectives. Wonder if they would work for depicting the hard war. Probably, although it would get expensive for Randy :)

I've enjoy seeing your photos for the second time around as much as I did the first time while visiting CTSC and you always have a great way of presenting your sets and figures in a historical manner with few words no matter who provides them Randy. Thanks again for sharing them....Joe

Scene VIII: Steamboat dock. Charleston, South Carolina April 1861

Two planters in Charleston for the purpose of visiting the Cotton Exchange discuss the latest war news now that war has been declared by Abraham Lincoln. They are concerned about the impact it will have on their crops and business dealings with textile factories in the north.

Attachments

• WarNewsMatSm.jpg
    WarNewsMatSm.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 112
The previous scene was inspired by this painting by French artist Edgar Degas who had relatives in New Orleans and while there visited the cotton exchange.

Degas, Edgar
The Cotton Exchange in New Orleans

Oil on canvas
28 3/4 x 36 1/4 in. (73 x 92 cm)
Musée Municipal de Pau, France

Attachments

• cotton_exchange.jpg
    cotton_exchange.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 108
I know that matte figures are more popular now than ever before but who could not find the joy in these little guys with their glossy finish.

A pure delight to the eyes and thanks for sharing them Randy.

"....now that war has been declared by Abraham Lincoln."

Not to be picky but Lincoln called up troops to put down insurrection (started by the Charleston forces) Declaring war would have given the Confederacy legitimacy as a legal country. Anyone claiming oppression from an undermanned unfinished fort that was running out of food (Anderson told the Confederates that) needs to look at Boston in 1775.

On with the photos! Thanks!

"....now that war has been declared by Abraham Lincoln."

Not to be picky but Lincoln called up troops to put down insurrection (started by the Charleston forces) Declaring war would have given the Confederacy legitimacy as a legal country. Anyone claiming oppression from an undermanned unfinished fort that was running out of food (Anderson told the Confederates that) needs to look at Boston in 1775.

On with the photos! Thanks!

Scott

Thank you for your in-depth knowledge of the ACW. I'm learning as I go along:)

Randy

To say that Lincoln declared war is a fallacy. Now, if you want to say that he manoeuvered the South into declaring war, that wouldn't be completely wrong. Take a look at William Miller's second book on Lincoln or MacPherson's Tried by War. I think they have analyses of this decision.

Tried by War is pretty good. Funny that Lincoln gets Southern criticism for being a "politician" and for doing his duty preserving the Union as if the South expected him to let them go w/o a fight. Lincoln couldn't do much with what the South had already done before his inauguration and the situation already in Charleston. Major Anderson was doing all he could to avoid a fight withdrawing to Sumter and informing Beauregard that his food would be gone soon. Maybe the Star of The West incident was provocation. (There's a set up right there for Hocker miniatures.)

357.gif

He had to be careful not to recognize the CSA so that Europeans wouldn't either. If he maneuvered the South into starting the fight it was dealing with the situation he was handed.

Thank you Brad and Scott for your clarification on the outbreak of war in 1861.

Here is Lincoln's April 15th Proclamation and an article about it:

PRESIDENT'S PROCLAMATION.

WASHINGTON, D. C., April 15, 1861.

WHEREAS, The laws of the United States have been and are opposed in several States by combinations too powerful to be suppressed in the ordinary way, I therefore call for the militia of the several States of the Union, to the aggregate number of 75,000, to suppress said combination and execute the laws. I appeal to all loyal citizens to facilitate and aid this effort, and maintain the laws and integrity of the National Union and the perpetuity of popular government, and redress wrongs long endured. The first service assigned will probably be to repossess the forts, places and property which have been seized from the Union. The utmost care will be taken, consistent with the object, to avoid devastation, destruction or interference of peaceful citizens in any part of the country; and I hereby command the persons composing the aforesaid combinations to disperse within twenty days from this date. I hereby convene both Houses of Congress for the 4th of July next, to determine upon such measures as the public safety and interest may demand.

(Signed) ABRAHAM LINCOLN, President of United States.

By W. H. SEWARD, Secretary of State.

Lincoln's Proclamation of April 15, 1861
The President Called for Volunteers to Force Southern Compliance

May 3, 2009 Michael Streich

The April 1861 Proclamation was not a war declaration, although Southern States would respond to it as if it was, setting the stage for a long and bloody conflict.

On April 15th, 1861, President Abraham Lincoln issued a Proclamation that called for 75,000 men from the various states “in order to suppress said combinations…” The Proclamation followed the surrender of Fort Sumter in Charleston, South Carolina after P.T. Beauregard’s bombardment. The South had fired the first shot, outraging the North. Excepting the Border States, Lincoln’s Proclamation was well-received but it would be weeks before the mostly untrained militia arrived in the nation’s capital.
Scope of the Proclamation
Lincoln opened the Proclamation by addressing the needs for his actions. The Laws of the United States were opposed and their execution “obstructed.” Lincoln listed the offending states: South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas. These “combinations” represented a force too powerful to be dealt with through ordinary channels of compliance such as the judiciary and the Federal Marshals.
The language of the Proclamation indicates that Lincoln viewed his response as a “police action” designed to “repossess” Federal property, i.e., forts, armories, and other assets. This was not a “Civil War” but an “insurrection.” There was to be no “…devastation…destruction…or interference with property, or any disturbance of peaceful citizens…” Lincoln was well aware that pro-Union sentiment still existed in the South.
Lincoln, in calling a special July session of Congress, referred to unfolding events as “an extraordinary occasion.” As Commander-in-Chief, Lincoln believed that the Constitution supported his call for state militia volunteers to serve in the armies being planned in defense of Washington and the securing of Border States like Kentucky and Missouri.
As the Proclamation resulted in an outpouring of support and unity in the North, it extinguished lingering pro-Union sympathies in the South. Governor Jackson of Missouri replied to Lincoln that his request for men was “illegal” and “unconstitutional.” Both sides rushed to enlist men, dooming Lincoln’s “police action.” The April 27th, 1861 Harper’s Weekly commented that, “Nobody – outside of lunatic asylums – doubts that civil war is an enormous calamity.”

Results of the Proclamation
Initial plans by the end of April suggested three separate army groups. The first, under the command of General Scott, would defend Washington with 50,000 men. A “New York Army” commanded by General Wood would be held in reserve while General Sumner was to encamp around the Cincinnati area with 75,000 men to protect the river systems, ultimately enabling Union troops to control the Mississippi. (“The War,” Harper’s Weekly, April 27, 1861)
Most of the soldiers arriving from various Northern states were ill-trained. It took the troops several weeks to reach Washington, facing hostile opposition in Baltimore. Additionally, some of the army’s best officers resigned their commissions and returned to the South, as did Robert E. Lee, for example. The navy, it was predicted, would ensure that all Southern ports would be “hermetically sealed.”
In the South in the weeks following the Proclamation, war plans were also being refined. William T. Sherman, who visited Virginia months before these events, had already reported then that the South was preparing for war. General Beauregard wanted to attack Washington with 32,000 men but was overruled by Jefferson Davis on advice from Robert E. Lee. Although the advice was given based on military considerations, Davis did not want to be the aggressor, falling back on his oft repeated phrase, “I hope they leave us alone.”
The Proclamation Not a Call to War
Lincoln’s purposes were very clear: the Proclamation was not a call to war nor was it a war declaration – only the Congress can declare war. Any such war declaration would have legitimized the Confederate States of America. For Lincoln, the Proclamation was a carefully worded document aimed at recovering Federal property and forcing insurrectionists to comply with Federal law. It was the South that construed the Proclamation as a war declaration and responded accordingly.
Sources:
• Harper’s Weekly, April 27, 1861 (President Lincoln’s Proclamation reprinted, commentary, and daily news)
• Shelby Foote, The Civil War: Fort Sumter to Perryville (Vintage Books – Random House, 1986)

I have always admired Winslow Homer's paintings and watercolors done in Virginia during the Reconstruction Era of the 1870s. Among those is a watercolor entitled Contraband depicting a Union Zouave with an African American boy. The title is explained by this reference:

In the early months of the war, Union generals who encountered slaves were expected to return them to their “masters.” Troubled by the knowledge that slaves were used to support the Confederate military efforts, in May of 1861 General Benjamin Butler declared that fugitives who found their way to Fortress Monroe would be declared "contraband of war." Lincoln feared that offering even this limited form of freedom to slaves would alienate the border states that had been supporting the union. Congress, on the other hand, supported Butler's actions by passing the Confiscation Acts. Butler's formulation received some support in the Northern press, and representations of slaves seeking refuge inside Union lines became a staple of illustrated newspapers.

Below is my version of Contraband using figures from Hocker Sets 325 and 378

Attachments

• HomerWinslowContraband.jpg
    HomerWinslowContraband.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 168
  • ContrabandSm.jpg
    ContrabandSm.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 184
This is a wonderful thread. I enjoyed following it so much this evening.

Thank you for all who contributed, but first of all kudos to Randy for his exceptional research and photography. I appreciate the Hocker figures, but it is Randy who brings them to life.

There's a period print "out there" of Union troops entering a Southern plantation yard with the slaves gawking at a Zouave while officers talk to the owners. This set up reminds me of that. Nice.

There's a period print "out there" of Union troops entering a Southern plantation yard with the slaves gawking at a Zouave while officers talk to the owners. This set up reminds me of that. Nice.

Scott

Do you have a source for that print?

Randy

Nicely done Randy. However, Lincoln was less concerned about Butler's actions than those of Fremont or Hunter.

When Butler confiscated the slaves, he notified the Department of War of his actions and requested approval. The cabinet discussed the matter and approved it. Moreover, when the Confiscation Act was passed by the Congress, Lincoln signed it without comment.

Fremont's action in Missouri was a different matter. There Fremont freed the slaves of all Confederate sympathizers. This concerned Lincoln as you mentioned, particularly the possible loss of Kentucky, and he ordered Fremont to publicly modify the edict to conform to the Confiscation Act. This made the borders states happy but not the Radicals.

The same issue arose when General David Hunter attempted to free the slaves in South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. Lincoln rescinded it saying in effect that whether it should have become a "necessity indispensable to the maintenance of the government, to exercise such supposed power, are questions which under my responsibility, I reserve to myself."

It might be noted that Butler had asked for approval of the policy while the other two took it upon themselves to issue declarations without advising Lincoln in advance.

Great pictures and great history lesson Randy and Scott...

In 1860, on the eve of the Civil War, Galveston was the largest city in Texas and the major seaport for the state. The city’s population stood at 7,207, about 1,200 of whom were slaves. Galveston was a growing city; forty percent of her non-slave population was born outside the United States. Across the island’s wharves in 1860 passed 194,000 bales of cotton, three-quarters of the total shipped from all Texas ports that year.

During the mid 19th century, Galveston emerged as an international city with immigration and trade from around the U.S. and the world. The city became one of the nation's busiest ports and the world's leading port for cotton exports.

By 1900, Galveston was the leading U.S. port for export of cotton, and the third most important for export of wheat.

During the 1900's, Imperial Sugar Company's operations began on the docks in Galveston as imported sugar began arriving from Cuba.

I read an article that I can't find...that said Galveston was the perfect location to trade cotton...the humid climate would saturate the bales of cotton with moisture...adding several pounds to their shipping weight...thus cheating the buyer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back