"Love, War & Empire" (2 Viewers)

Randy,

You are indeed an expert researcher!! Your work here is very informative! As both a creationist and historian, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread so far. Thanks for always adding unique aspects of history to the forum that increase our knowledge.

Mark

Randy,

You are indeed an expert researcher!! Your work here is very informative! As both a creationist and historian, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread so far. Thanks for always adding unique aspects of history to the forum that increase our knowledge.

Mark

Thanks Mark

You can see how the Endless Forms exhibit at Yale inspired me.

Randy

Randy,

Mark

I have to agree with everything that Mark has just stated and also include the word inspirational also.

Great job Randy.

The Age of Rocks

In addition to the study of plants and animals, Victorians were fascinated by the developing science of Geology. The discoveries and theories of geologists were to play an important part in the development of Darwin’s theories. Just as Victorians collected and organized flowers and insects, they did likewise with rocks and minerals. Below is the detail of an 1843 calotype by English photographer William Henry Fox Talbot entitled “The Geologists” showing an amateur geologist examining the layers or strata of a local geological formation. The other illustration shows a drawer holding part of a typical private collection of the period.

Illustrations:

1. (1843) The Geologists (det.) by Wm. H. F. Talbot
2. Victorian Mineral Collection

Attachments

• TalobotGeologists.jpg
    TalobotGeologists.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 143
  • minerals.jpg
    minerals.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 140
Charles Lyell

The most important geological publication of the 19th Century was the 3 volume study Principles of Geology published in the early 1830s by Charles Lyell, an English lawyer and amateur geologist. Darwin took Lyell’s study with him on the HMS Beagle and read it with great interest. Lyell’s basic thesis was that “geological change takes place incrementally over long periods of time.” Lyell thus provided Darwin with a new geological time scale that would support his theory that new species evolve “through the accumulation of small changes over many generations.” The age of the earth and its past history became one of the most hotly debated topics of the 19th Century.

Illustrations:

1.Charles Lyell
2. Principles of Geology Vol.1 (1830)

Attachments

• lyell.jpg
    lyell.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 143
  • LyellPrinciples.jpg
    LyellPrinciples.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 144
The Strata of History

Lyell’s research involved looking at the layers or strata of that comprise geological formations. For Lyell and others, these layers which often contained the fossilized remains of extinct plants and animals were like chapters recreating the history of the earth. Artists of the 19th Century began to include these geological “books” in their paintings and drawings, often as a backdrop to human activity, providing a context for human history as it had evolved and was evolving. Cliffs and outcroppings of rock near the ocean were especially popular.

Illlustrations:

1. Lyell. Illustration from Principles of Geology
2. Wm. Dyce Pegwell Bay [England] (1858-1860)
3. Winslow Homer Flamborough Head [England] 1881
4. Photograph of Flamborough Head (showing the chalk cliffs strata)

Attachments

• LyellPrinciplesfrontispiece.jpg
    LyellPrinciplesfrontispiece.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 159
  • DycePegwellBay.jpg
    DycePegwellBay.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 162
  • HomerFlamboroughHead1881.jpg
    HomerFlamboroughHead1881.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 152
  • FlamboroughHead.jpg
    FlamboroughHead.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 149
Imperial Geology

The science of geology was an appropriate discipline for an Age of Empire. The Industrial Revolution which began in 18th C Britain had an insatiable appetite for coal and iron and other resources. Europe’s colonial possessions around the globe now became a new source to feed the industrial machine. In places like Africa and India the British military played a role in what might be termed imperial geology. In addition to creating maps and finding locations for future development and extraction, units of the military helped locate new resources while excavating the terrain for trenches and tunnels. Their work could also help pave the way for the construction of canals needed to enhance the transport of raw materials from the colonial periphery to the metropolitan centers in Europe. Engineering units such as sappers, miners, and pioneers usually provided the human labor for these projects. The sets below by Wm. Hocker are representative of the native labor that carried this out overseas.

Illustrations;

1. Wm. Hocker Set 124
2. Wm. Hocker Set 125

Attachments

• WHset124.jpg
    WHset124.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 166
  • WHset125.jpg
    WHset125.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 170
Darwin & "Love, War & Empire"

With this post I am returning (after a brief hiatus to complete some writing projects) to this thread that examines Darwin's impact on the Victorian Era by considering two main topics: the relation of the sexes and imperialism. In this examination, the world of toy soldiers, as represented by the work of Wm. Hocker, is used to illustrate Darwinian ideas. In the book illustrated below, written by three contemporary Darwin scholars, a closing chapter on Darwin's legacy observes that :

"[Charles Darwin]... symbolized Britain's success in conquering nature and civilizing the globe during Victoria's reign."

To explain that conquest and "civilizing" process is at the heart of this thread.

Most recently we have examined Imperial Geology as an example of the "conquest of nature" and in the next post I shall consider Imperial Botany.

Attachments

• DarwinVIP.jpg
    DarwinVIP.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 126
Imperial Botany I:

"The Seeds of Empire"

We have previously examined the role of Darwin’s voyage on the HMS Beagle in the service of Britain’s maritime commercial empire and the uses of geological science, as well, in the imperial project. We now turn our attention to the science of botany and its role in that context.

“Many a Kew man has laid down his life in the conscientious performance of his duty, as genuine a sacrifice to the cause of empire and humanity as any soldier or missionary has ever made”---W. J. Bean (1908)

Kew refers to the Royal Botanic Gardens in southwest London, England that played an important role in the expansion of the British Empire during the Victorian Era. This urban botanical garden was significant in the development of British commercial botany and helped spread profitable and strategic plant-based industries to all corners of the British Empire. Charles Darwin was closely associated with the Kew, through one of its directors, Joseph Dalton Hooker who provided Darwin with plant specimens for his research and was a close supporter of his evolutionary theories. In 1865, Joseph Hooker had succeeded his father William who had been director since 1841. In the 1840s, William Hooker was responsible for the construction of Palm House at Kew which became a symbol of the botanical source of much of the British Empire’s wealth.

Palm House was constructed from an industrial steel frame and covered with glass in the manner of a greenhouse. In style and construction, it foreshadowed another architectural emblem of the British Empire, the Crystal Palace of the 1850s which was created as a monument to Britain’s domination of world trade.

The Imperial project represented by Kew and economic botany is clearly expressed by Lucile Brockway in her book Science and Colonial Expansion: The Role of the British Royal Botanic Gardens:

“Inside the Palm House we are dwarfed by the soaring trunks of the palms and fascinated by the luxurious growth of the many tropical species---balsa, breadfruit, bananas, and bamboo…In this building we feel the extent of the British maritime and colonial expansion of the entire world. All of these plants have had significant economic uses. Before the Western expansion, they supplied food and drink, material for shelter, for furniture, tools, containers and ornaments to indigenous peoples in all the tropics, whether by the seashores, in the rain forests, or in the deserts. With the advent of the Europeans, many of these plants entered large-scale international commerce, on terms advantageous to Europeans. In our mind’s eye we see the copra schooners coasting from island to island in the South Seas, picking up cargoes of dried coconuts, or the heavily laden canoes coming down the Oil River ( the mouth of the Niger) to the trading post for transfer of the cargo to British ships. Palm oil was the black gold of the river then, though today tankers tie up at these same Oil River ports to ship out Nigeria’s petroleum. Breadfruit was taken by Captain Bligh [of the HMS Bounty] to Jamaica to serve as food for the slaves in the canefields.

“Through its development of the plants transferred [ back home and eventually among its colonial possessions], Kew converted knowledge to profit and power for the Empire and for the industrial world system of which Britain was then the leader. Kew gave whole-hearted support to it mission, and shared the nation’s spirit of crusading imperialism.”

The plants from Kew that helped the British Empire’s evolution also aided Charles Darwin in developing evolutionary theories that would subsequently be used by others as a supporting rationale for empire as a way of life.

Illustrations:

1. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
2. Joseph Dalton Hooker (BW photo)
3. William Jackson Hooker (color oil painting)
4. Palm House
5. Crystal Palace

Attachments

• palmhouse3SM.jpg
    palmhouse3SM.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 130
  • JosephDaltonHooker.jpg
    JosephDaltonHooker.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Hookerwilliamjackson.jpg
    Hookerwilliamjackson.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 130
  • palmhouse5SM.jpg
    palmhouse5SM.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 131
  • CrystalPalace1851854Sm.jpg
    CrystalPalace1851854Sm.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 130
Hi Randy, You wrote,
The 19th Century pictorial press such as the Illustrated London News or Harper's Weekly were quick to pick up on the public's current leisure interests.

Below we can see the cover pages of the London Illustrated News, 1934 & 1935, to which you refer.

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_3962.jpg

Darwin lived at Down House (at Downe, in the London Borough of Bromley) from 1842 until his death in 1882. It was here that he maintained a garden where he conducted experiments in support of his theories of natural selection and evolution.

Figures by Wm. Hocker
Set 402 "Origin of Species" (Issued to commemorate the 200th Anniversary of Darwin's birth and the 150th Anniversary of the publication of The Origin of Species)

Attachments

• DarwinDownHouseMatSm.jpg
    DarwinDownHouseMatSm.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 116
Here is a photo of Darwin's study at Down House:

Attachments

• DarwinsStudy.jpg
    DarwinsStudy.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 117
Hi Randy,
Nice photo of Daewin's study. It looks like a place where you could get some work done. Maybe write War & Peace :)

Darwin and the Royal Marines

In 1831, Darwin departed England aboard the Royal Naval vessel HMS Beagle as part of a military survey expedition to South America. Its purpose was to map ocean routes in response to Britain's desire for new markets for its industrial products and in return natural resources through expanded trade with this region of the world. The Captain of the Beagle was Robert Fitzroy and in addition to naval personnel there were Royal Marines aboard the vessel. In the British film on Darwin, Creation (2009) there are scenes showing Darwin and Fitzroy on Tierra del Fiego with the native Fuegians and Marines. Fitzroy gave the Fuegians trinkets and took 3 of their children back to England to "civilize" them. One died there of smallpox. Later Fitzroy returned to Tierra del Fuego with the other 2 "Westernized" children in the hopes that they would provide a model of modernity for the natives. Much to his surprise as soon as the children set foot on land they took off their Western clothing and rejoined the members of their tribe. This event is depicted in the film. Here are 2 stills from Creation showing the Royal Marines: one with Darwin (Paul Bettany) and the other with Fitzroy and the Fuegians. [It would be great of Bill Hocker made figures of Fitzroy, the young Darwin, the Royal Marines and Fuegians to go along with his set 402 Origin of the Species]

Attachments

• Creation1.jpg
    Creation1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Creation2.jpg
    Creation2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 83
I have the movie coming on my NETFLIX queue. I THINK the Royal Marines were in a newer uniform by then.

3300667.jpg

Scott

Here is a set of Royal Marines from All the King's Men website covering the 1830s Canadian Rebellions. Is this what you mean for the RM uniform they would have worn on the HMS Beagle?

Randy

Attachments

• 1830sBritishMarines.jpg
    1830sBritishMarines.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 83
Scott

Here is a set of Royal Marines from All the King's Men website covering the 1830s Canadian Rebellions. Is this what you mean for the RM uniform they would have worn on the HMS Beagle?

Randy

Nice miniatures.

Yeah I was going to post that picture but I was looking for something "period". The shako replaced the "top hat" by then. I'm not going to throw rocks at the costumes in the movie until I see the whole film. I recall a "Voyage of the Beagle" documentary where the Royal Marines looked correct but the ship was a modern sailing vessel.

I listened to Origin of Species and Voyage of the Beagle audio books on Librivox. Darwin was pretty cool guy who was very observant and descriptive. His adventures just in Argentina and Brazil would make a good movie.

Scott

Creation is a very strange film. It reminded me of a Victorian gothic horror story in some parts.

This review below captures what I am trying to get at here:

'Creation' explores Darwin's dark side
By Carly Steinberger
For the Daily On March 16th, 2010

“Creation” focuses on a lesser-known portion of the life of Charles Darwin, veering away from a simply biographical account. Instead of touching on his countless zoological endeavors and his development of evolutionary theory, the film, based on the novel “Annie’s Box” by Randall Keynes (Darwin’s great-great grandson), takes a more emotional approach. Director Jon Amiel chooses to highlight Darwin’s struggle to accept his own conclusions.

Throughout the film, Darwin (Paul Bettany, “The Da Vinci Code”) labors over writing his famous work, “On the Origin of Species,” recognizing that his theories challenge the existence of God. While he believes his findings to be correct, he fears them and questions whether they should be shared with the public. This bubbling anxiety drives him to near insanity and physical illness. His pious wife Emma (Jennifer Connelly, “A Beautiful Mind”), further contributes to his doubts. All the while, the ghost of his deceased daughter deepens his mental instability.

The bulk of the film depicts Darwin’s descent into madness. The tone is initially cerebral, though that quickly diminishes in favor of a distinctly morbid air. Advancing the dismal mood is the depressing score, dark lighting and Darwin’s constant interaction with the imaginary. He dreams up everything from the spirit of his daughter to re-animated stuffed birds. At times the film seems to teeter a bit too much into the horror-inspired, as eerie montages showcasing both fictional and actual events flash before Darwin’s eyes, fueling his torment.

“Creation” sets itself apart from typical, reverent biopics by attempting to portray a true genius as someone with human qualities and flaws. We see Darwin as a family man who seeks involvement in his children’s lives (though not at the climax of his madness) and is concerned for his wife’s feelings. Yet, the combination of the writing and Bettany’s performance takes the emotions to an almost unrealistic level — it’s as if Darwin has no strength at all. He seems too plagued by his insanity to ever have conceived possibly the most revolutionary theory in all of history.

The lack of mental progression within the film is also disconcerting. While Darwin grows to better handle his anxiety, his state of mind remains relatively stagnant. The man is still torn between promoting his research — which in his heart of hearts he believes to be correct — and avoiding the consequences of challenging established religion. He even consults his wife, and while she gives him her opinion, it’s still a bit unclear as to whether Darwin is completely sold on his own findings.

While “Creation” shows the softer side of Darwin, it’s very easy for the viewer to forget while watching the film the great impact of his accomplishments. It’s almost as if the film could be about any insanity-stricken man and there never was an evolution revolution.

Printed from www.michigandaily.com on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 21:21:32 -0400

A much better film is the PBS docu-drama: Darwin's Darkest Hour
Available from Netflix

http://video.pbs.org/video/1286437550/

Thanks! I haven't seen that one. It looks like they used the HMS Bounty movie ship for the Beagle. Revell models used to sell a slightly redone Bounty as the Beagle so it's close I guess.

I put Darwin's Darkest Hour on my NetFlix list. It's sad how much his works get "cherry-picked" for contradictions or racism, and his death, for example, is lied about by people who feel threatened by his works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back