M1a1 ward la france wrecker (1 Viewer)

noli-poli

Sergeant Major
Watch out for this site. Scratchbuilding the M1A1 WRECKER starting in January 2012

A beautiful 1/35 model is available and made by Accurate Armor...but too small to go side by side with KC, Figarti and TG AFVs.

Using Accurate Armor model as basis and template for this project...ETA-April/May 2012.

Currently researching and "scavenging" for parts.

Noli-Poli

Attachments

• fc13.jpg
    fc13.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 1,690
  • id_ward_lafrance_700_01.jpg
    id_ward_lafrance_700_01.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,228
Re: M1A1 WARD LA FRANCE - SCRATCHBUILDING UPDATE

Troops:

Here is an update on my current project. While I was hoping to use metal as the main medium, I have to settle for plastic and resin models as these are the only ones available. I also used balsa and brass metal parts. I used 5 kits to construct a 1/30 scale Ward La France Wrecker. The Revell 1/32 M35 Truck is the main spine for this project. The M35 in real life is bigger than the Ward La France...so a 1/32 M35 spine = 1/30 scale Ward. I used the scale calculator from: http://www.printmini.com/calc.shtml

The method used in the construction was similar to the Dragon Wagon I earlier built...glue scalped parts for detail & modify /sculpt similar/look-alike shapes to match with the model. Some 1/35 parts from Accurate Armor's Ward La France were used. These were lengthened, widened & increased height by embedding styrene plastic in between the gaps. Some 1/35 parts were used but on areas where it is partly hidden and hardly seen by the naked eye.

Attached are photos showing various stages of development...50% complete. Hope to finish this by May/June 2012

Attachments

• WLF MATERIALS.jpg
    WLF MATERIALS.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 320
  • WLF Hood.jpg
    WLF Hood.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 314
  • WLF Hood2.jpg
    WLF Hood2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 314
  • WLF Rear Deck & Bumper.jpg
    WLF Rear Deck & Bumper.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 321
More photos...

Attachments

• WLF Size Difference.jpg
    WLF Size Difference.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 295
  • WLF Tower & Winch.jpg
    WLF Tower & Winch.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 314
  • WLF Rear Deck.jpg
    WLF Rear Deck.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 305
  • WLF Partial Assebly 2.jpg
    WLF Partial Assebly 2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 361
Construction update...

Attachments

• TOWER.jpg
    TOWER.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 278
  • THE BUMPER.jpg
    THE BUMPER.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 245
  • FRONT GRILLE.jpg
    FRONT GRILLE.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 247
  • BOOM & TOWER.jpg
    BOOM & TOWER.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 270
Nice work N-P, reminds me of when I was collecting diecast military toys. I had a French Dinky Ward La France Fuel Tanker in 1/43 scale. It took me ages to track that rare beauty for my collection back in the pre eBay era.

I........REALLY.........REALLY love your projects. We are just getting ready to release our Super High quality 1/30 and 1/32 decals which will be perfect for your project. PM if you need them. Alex

Nice work N-P, reminds me of when I was collecting diecast military toys. I had a French Dinky Ward La France Fuel Tanker in 1/43 scale. It took me ages to track that rare beauty for my collection back in the pre eBay era.

Thanks Matt.

I........REALLY.........REALLY love your projects. We are just getting ready to release our Super High quality 1/30 and 1/32 decals which will be perfect for your project. PM if you need them. Alex

Are the decals posted on your Website? Right now, I am customizing decals from my computer using clear decal sheets from Archer's

N-P

A sneak peak...put the pieces together last night

Attachments

• Sneak Peak.jpg
    Sneak Peak.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 492
Lovely work - as usual Noli - so here's a present for you (which I'm sure you will have seen).

Compare this with the model chaps - it's a beauty. jb

id_ward_lafrance_700_11.jpg

A sneak peak...put the pieces together last night

ABSOLUTElY EXCELLENT...................I just spoke to Peter (Figarti) about doing some more US soft skin stuff, and used your project as a reference. He sais it WAS possible. I will PM you with the decal info. Alex

Last edited:
Really, really GREAT! I always thought that the Ward-La France M1A1 was a fascinating beast. Not only a wrecker for trucks and such but it was used used to recovery/repait halftracks and M5A1 light tanks. You are a gutsy son-of-a-gun to try this project. It's looking really nice so far.

Gary B.

You wait all day for one to come along - and then......................:D:D jb

Pairofwreckers.jpg

What great modelling skills you have! {bravo}} {bravo}}

Jeff

You wait all day for one to come along - and then......................:D:D jb

Pairofwreckers.jpg

I could surely use the photo as reference. I am starting to make the winch guard as shown on the Ward on the left and noticed that the flood lights are of different size as compared to the one on the right. Thanks JB

Welcome Brutus!

Please go to thread "ET TU BRUTE" M1A1 Ward La France Wrecker...

Attachments

• WLF.jpg
    WLF.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 227

Users who are viewing this thread

Back