Making your own mold (3 Viewers)

Latex can't be used for two part molds due to shrinkage and the fact that it isn't heat resistent. I make a lot of molds, usually for my work, that I use for plaster or resin casting. I do have heat resistent silicone and used it to make a Star Wars stormtrooper mold. I'll get a pic of it as soon as I can. Never got around to cast it:rolleyes:

Making a figure mold for a simple figure that requires two parts isn't hard.
- Use Lego bricks as a mould box; they won't leak and are very flexible to use.
- Use any oil based non hardening clay to cover half of the figure (use the factory mold lines as a guide)
- Pour the 2 part silicone.
- Turn the mold, remove the clay and cover the half of the mold with a release agent (silicone spray or wax.)
- Pour the second half of the mold.
- Cut all pouring/airing cannels afterwards with a sharp hobbyknife.

This is how I do it and how it's done most of the time for small hobby projects. Before I heard of the legos i always used to make wooden crates and sorts but the Legos really make it easy. Pouring a mold in a boxlike construction with enough 'body' around the subject makes that you won't need a supporting mold. They are just like the Dutkins molds really.

Hope any of this helps.

When you pour the second half of the mold, does the first half need to cure before the release agant is sprayed on?

Normal curing time (see manufacturers instruction for curing times as they may vary). But after the whole mold is done, it needs to 'rest' for a couple of days before you do your first pour. It extends mold-life.

Also an interesting note; don't use too much harder. It seems to shorten mold life. I use a measuring cup for the silicone and a syringe for the harder.

If you want to spray it with silicone; don't do it indoors as the silicone will make everything greasy. I use a brush-on wax myself most of the time. Cover everything or the silicone will stick to the other mold halve :eek:

OK, so a few months have passed. Has anybody pursued this black art? I am looking for a cast master.

Rats. I am converting a figure as we speak and was counting on the Count to make more of him...
Anyone? Bueller?...

Rats. I am converting a figure as we speak and was counting on the Count to make more of him...
Anyone? Bueller?...

Have you seen the kits that Dutkins sells? Take a look at them . Maybe we can work something out. Would like to see the figure too. That way I know what I am getting into.

Do they have casting kits? I looked on their Dutkins Collectibles website but all I saw were soldier figures, no mold kits.

Hey KV....been out of the loop for a bit but guess what?!? I got my first figure that I commissioned. It took a bit from the sculptor in Great Britain. He did the sculpting after I told him the original idea. I had sent some pics for what I wanted to add on. Since my grandpa had gotten me into this gig to begin with, I decided that my first trial run figure would be of a hunter. That way I could see how the sculptor worked, payment, shipment, detail etc. would pan out. It worked like a charm. Only took about 1.5 wks through shipping and customs. He was sculpted out of an epoxy resin so that he's good to go in a vulcanizing machine. I had feared I would have to add a step and go to RTV but he's good "as is." Next step is to begin commissioning the army to follow. I want to focus on Early 20th Century... Boxer Rebellion, Span/Am war, WW1. I think that the hobby needs a good marching CW figure. Even though there are like 5 or 6 molds available, none are great and all have some flaws. I would like a good detailed figure similar to LeMan's. I can post pics of the master Hunter if you'd like. Total price for this guy was $350.

Please do post a pic, I'm curious to see how he turned out!

Prosit!
Brad

Hey KV....been out of the loop for a bit but guess what?!? I got my first figure that I commissioned. It took a bit from the sculptor in Great Britain. He did the sculpting after I told him the original idea. I had sent some pics for what I wanted to add on. Since my grandpa had gotten me into this gig to begin with, I decided that my first trial run figure would be of a hunter. That way I could see how the sculptor worked, payment, shipment, detail etc. would pan out. It worked like a charm. Only took about 1.5 wks through shipping and customs. He was sculpted out of an epoxy resin so that he's good to go in a vulcanizing machine. I had feared I would have to add a step and go to RTV but he's good "as is." Next step is to begin commissioning the army to follow. I want to focus on Early 20th Century... Boxer Rebellion, Span/Am war, WW1. I think that the hobby needs a good marching CW figure. Even though there are like 5 or 6 molds available, none are great and all have some flaws. I would like a good detailed figure similar to LeMan's. I can post pics of the master Hunter if you'd like. Total price for this guy was $350.

I am glad to see you posting again. I have been very busy in all phases of our wonderful hobby. Bought a bunch of new molds and of course thought about your Russians. I have thought some good Wind and the Lion figures would be great. Spanish American war figures might work well for thee Marines. I will echo Barons request for pics. I would like to hear your mold making process. Are you going to try and get Rich to make the molds or DIY?
Doing a lot of WWII. Tried to stay out but oh well.

Did you get the email about the 6 new WW2 molds? If not, check out the Dutkins Website. www.dutkins.com They have 3 Germans (standing firing MP 38/40, kneeling firing MP 38/40, and kneeling firing Panzerfaust. Also, US loading rifle grenade, firing M3 in standing firing and kneeling firing poses).

Here are the pictures that Tony originally sent me. I haven't set him out yet and re-photographed him.

Attachments

• HunterBack.jpg
    HunterBack.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 120
  • HunterLong.jpg
    HunterLong.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 118
  • HunterFace.jpg
    HunterFace.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 110
I did get the email. It was odd to see the pieces incomplete. I guess he was in a rush. Would love to see them when painted.

This is a nice figure. What does he represent?

Really good to have you posting again.

He's a hunter. It's hard to tell from the all grey look but in the right hand there is an over/under shotgun and the left has a duck by the neck. He has an open jacket. Very detailed with zipper and all. The cap is extraordinary. The tie on top kind with ear flaps. He has shotgun shells in the right of the vest and one on the left but empty loops otherwise.
My grandpa was a big hunter and I wanted to see how the whole sculpting process worked first before committing to a time period or army. Since he'd be getting the first guy, I decided to go with a hunter and then branch out from there.

He's a hunter. It's hard to tell from the all grey look but in the right hand there is an over/under shotgun and the left has a duck by the neck. He has an open jacket. Very detailed with zipper and all. The cap is extraordinary. The tie on top kind with ear flaps. He has shotgun shells in the right of the vest and one on the left but empty loops otherwise.
My grandpa was a big hunter and I wanted to see how the whole sculpting process worked first before committing to a time period or army. Since he'd be getting the first guy, I decided to go with a hunter and then branch out from there.

A very nice tribute to him. Please show us when it gets done.

A very nice tribute to him. Please show us when it gets done.
I read the other comment. I see what you meant. I'm not sure why Rich is in such a rush for the molds that he puts the raw guy on the site. But, to make matters worse, some pictures he's never updated. The bazooka team still shows a non-painted loader and that mold is like 10+ years old. Others could stand to be repainted and rephotographed. I offered one time but he said, 'naw, I've got a guy that does that.' Yeah but only on *new* guys...and then, not even all of them.
I've got a flyer around here for an old toy soldier firm called Warwick Miniatures. They had the best catalogue I've ever seen. He photographed all the sets "in action" and then on the next page had a little diagram of the photo with just numbers showing what sets you need to purchase to make the scene (or something like it). I think that the molds should be sold on a catalogue like that...make up a diorama and then say "to do this you need LA-XXX and LA-XXX"

I read the other comment. I see what you meant. I'm not sure why Rich is in such a rush for the molds that he puts the raw guy on the site. But, to make matters worse, some pictures he's never updated. The bazooka team still shows a non-painted loader and that mold is like 10+ years old. Others could stand to be repainted and rephotographed. I offered one time but he said, 'naw, I've got a guy that does that.' Yeah but only on *new* guys...and then, not even all of them.
I've got a flyer around here for an old toy soldier firm called Warwick Miniatures. They had the best catalogue I've ever seen. He photographed all the sets "in action" and then on the next page had a little diagram of the photo with just numbers showing what sets you need to purchase to make the scene (or something like it). I think that the molds should be sold on a catalogue like that...make up a diorama and then say "to do this you need LA-XXX and LA-XXX"

Greg, Tell me you are not joking about the catalogue. I have about 20 of the Warwicks and have been looking for such a catalogue for several years. Is there anyway I can see it?

And it would be nice if more companies would do that. Maybe even offer it as a set of molds to make the dio.

Greg, Tell me you are not joking about the catalogue. I have about 20 of the Warwicks and have been looking for such a catalogue for several years. Is there anyway I can see it?

And it would be nice if more companies would do that. Maybe even offer it as a set of molds to make the dio.
No I'm not kidding about the catalogue. It remains the absolute best way I've ever seen to merchandise toy soldiers. I'll have to see if I can find it around. Some of that stuff I lost in The War. Did you know that he reformulated the company under the name Hampton Miniatures? I *do* have that catalogue. It's slightly stripped down (US CW are gone as are WW2, WW1, Papal Guards, etc.) On that note, I did buy 2 castings then of the Schutztruppen (officer and marching infantry) in the hopes of making molds (or having made) some day so I could knock off a bunch of those guys. And, I know exactly where they are....

No I'm not kidding about the catalogue. It remains the absolute best way I've ever seen to merchandise toy soldiers. I'll have to see if I can find it around. Some of that stuff I lost in The War. Did you know that he reformulated the company under the name Hampton Miniatures? I *do* have that catalogue. It's slightly stripped down (US CW are gone as are WW2, WW1, Papal Guards, etc.) On that note, I did buy 2 castings then of the Schutztruppen (officer and marching infantry) in the hopes of making molds (or having made) some day so I could knock off a bunch of those guys. And, I know exactly where they are....

yeah I knew about the Hampton name. It is the same people? I did not know they had a WWII series or any of the others. I have some really weird sets. An Irish Legion in Stove pipe hats, grey uniforms. I think they might be Austrians, but that was how they were listed when I bought them. They have a very distinctive look. You either love them or hate them. I have mostly ACW and ARW stuff and a little ceremonial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back