Making your own mold (3 Viewers)

I was thinking of creating some of my own, what is the level of difficulty?

Yes . . . but not s much as I used to!

Al
OK so spill. Let us see your stuff! I am looking to make some molds too. I see for me it is somewhat expensive and there appears to be learning curve. I have some flats that I would love to do for Christmas. Now would be a good time for some tips. So pics and tips for us neophyte/erstwhile mold maker wannabes please:D:):D

I've not made Chrismas molds, but have bought about a dozen 54mm molds from Dutkins. Found them easy to use and recommend them. Unfortunately, I've no pictures and they're packed away. Will try to pull some images of my 54mm infantry figures off my old computer this weekend.

Al

You know it is nice to see all of you guys posting here. Things are looking up around here.

I bought a really simple mold from Ebay. Its a white silicone mold of a small pine tree. I have to imagine, a mold like this would be easy to do. You would probably get a limited amount of figures out of it, but if you were doing a limited run, it would make te figures very unique.

Gene

wow thats great, thanks for that link.

Do a web search for mold making you should find plenty of how to,s even better then this. I,ve come across a bunch, this was the only one that was fresh in my mind. I,ve found a couple on molding your own toy soldiers also.

Do a web search for mold making you should find plenty of how to,s even better then this. I,ve come across a bunch, this was the only one that was fresh in my mind. I,ve found a couple on molding your own toy soldiers also.

Thanks, cause I've been trying to figure a way to do some more stuff, and I'm still in the learning process.

Re: Making your own mold OPINION NEEDED

Ok, I'm experimenting. I was at a Hobby USA store and they were selling latex rubber for scenery use. The latex rubber is designed for mold making. I'm presently trying to create a mold, do you think I'll be abl to pour lead into it?

Re: Making your own mold OPINION NEEDED

Ok, I'm experimenting. I was at a Hobby USA store and they were selling latex rubber for scenery use. The latex rubber is designed for mold making. I'm presently trying to create a mold, do you think I'll be abl to pour lead into it?

Gene, did you check to see if the material is rated for white metal?:eek:

No I did not, but I will be. The first steps did'nt work and the mold I was trying to create did not even work. Back to the old drawing board!
Gene

Latex can't be used for two part molds due to shrinkage and the fact that it isn't heat resistent. I make a lot of molds, usually for my work, that I use for plaster or resin casting. I do have heat resistent silicone and used it to make a Star Wars stormtrooper mold. I'll get a pic of it as soon as I can. Never got around to cast it:rolleyes:

Making a figure mold for a simple figure that requires two parts isn't hard.
- Use Lego bricks as a mould box; they won't leak and are very flexible to use.
- Use any oil based non hardening clay to cover half of the figure (use the factory mold lines as a guide)
- Pour the 2 part silicone.
- Turn the mold, remove the clay and cover the half of the mold with a release agent (silicone spray or wax.)
- Pour the second half of the mold.
- Cut all pouring/airing cannels afterwards with a sharp hobbyknife.

This is how I do it and how it's done most of the time for small hobby projects. Before I heard of the legos i always used to make wooden crates and sorts but the Legos really make it easy. Pouring a mold in a boxlike construction with enough 'body' around the subject makes that you won't need a supporting mold. They are just like the Dutkins molds really.

Hope any of this helps.

Hey, Joachim thanks for the tips. The more I see it the more likely I become to actually doing this aspect of the hobby

When I tried to extract the figure from the latex it ripped. ut as you said, it probably would not have stood up to the white metal. I read this last posting and checked out the webpage, which has a ton of good info. This put me on the right path.
Gene

Users who are viewing this thread

Back