March Madness (1 Viewer)

I’m not one of those who cries woke and actually dislike it when people do and as many of you probably know I’m left of center politically but my school, George Washington University, has decided to change the name of the team. They’re called the Colonials but apparently today’s students have complained about the name so the University, saying the name Colonials evokes native Americans and other “colonialized people” being subjected to bad treatment, etc., — you get it, the poor dears— so they’re changing the name. The choices are Blue Fog, Ambassadors, Sentinels or Revolutionaries. Maybe they can go with Revolutionaries and have a photo of Lenin on their chests. Knowing how these administrations work they’ll probably choose Blue Fog. I suggested to them that since I participated in the May Day demonstrations in 1971, they should call themselves the Weathermen but someone would probably complain and say it should be Weatherpeople. No response. Shocker!
Brad, I was watching the Colonials earlier this season when the whole renaming thing was brought up by the announcers. I was stunned that someone was actually offended by the team name. Never in a million years would it have crossed my mind that the team name could offend anyone. This whole renaming plague should be deep-sixed. I'm guessing the next target will be teams with animal nicknames as obviously a Terp might offend anyone ever attacked by turtles...the whole thing is ridiculous. -- Al

Brad, I was watching the Colonials earlier this season when the whole renaming thing was brought up by the announcers. I was stunned that someone was actually offended by the team name. Never in a million years would it have crossed my mind that the team name could offend anyone. This whole renaming plague should be deep-sixed. I'm guessing the next target will be teams with animal nicknames as obviously a Terp might offend anyone ever attacked by turtles...the whole thing is ridiculous. -- Al

Al, couldn’t agree more. I fired off a nasty gram to the University where I’m sure it will be round filed. I just don’t understand how the term Colonial could be offensive as we had a Colonial period in our history.

Here is an article that was in the NYTimes. Hopefully you’re not blocked from reading it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/26/us/george-washington-university-moniker.html

It's truly the age of idiocracy. Unfortunately, the idiots appear to be in the majority. There seems to be no reversing this insanity. Meanwhile every single institution and organization appears to be in steep decline.

I think I have mentioned this before, years ago I read an article that listed every major sports team’s name and why it should be banned.

While it was obviously tongue in cheek it did a great job of pointing out the fact that if you dig deep enough anything and everything is offensive to someone.

My favorite was weather related as it listed the Miami Heat and the number of deaths each year related to heat stroke (a number that nowadays exceeds 7 million per year worldwide).

Some really bad sportsmanship on the women's side. Fighting, taunting, trash talking. A real circus. On the upside, LSU women's team looked like they could compete in the NBA.

Some really bad sportsmanship on the women's side. Fighting, taunting, trash talking. A real circus. On the upside, LSU women's team looked like they could compete in the NBA.
I watched the Women's Championship and enjoyed it but the whole thing was soured by that idiot LSU player taunting the Iowa player at the end by waving her hand and indicating she gets a ring while the loser doesn't. Just a no-class move and it made LSU look like a bunch of no/low class losers instead of what should have been gracious winners. -- Al

I thought there were several bad calls against Iowa-and the announcers said so, too, during the game. The technical foul called on Clark, for example, which was for language, but it just looked like she had a quick huddle with her teammates after the free throws. The fouls for contact seemed a little spurious, too, should have been called on LSU.

In the end, though, LSU outplayed Iowa. Good rebounding, they prevented Iowa from doing the same, they stole passes that were too open, but most of all, they hit so many 3-pointers. In their previous game, they hit what was it? 3? I think their final total yesterday was 14. They just outplayed Iowa.

As for grace and sportsmanship go, Mulkey gives me a rash. If Bluder had gone over and smacked her upside the head, I wouldn't have blamed her.

Well, we'll see how the men's championship goes tonight.

Prost!
Brad

It is really disappointing to hear so much focus on the “non-athletic” part of sports.

Some idiotic pundits on ESPN have been saying that the high ratings for the women’s championship were due to all of the “trash talk”.

I’d like to think that most educated viewers of any sporting event tune in based on athletic prowess and not on the weak, and at best, theatrical “ability” to taunt the other side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back