Marlborough Military Models of Wales - Star Collectables (2 Viewers)

GICOP

Four Star General
I've just received this lovely set

STAR SET No 21: BRITISH OFFICER IN DOOLIE CARRIER, DELHI SEIGE TRAIN

NIM1.jpg

NIM2.jpg

I have adding it to my Delhi Relief Column, which I have in one of my display cases, it blends in superbly with my Trophy figures

The paper work I received with it states it is a Limited Edition of 100 sets and is a companion set to No. 20, I would love to see a picture of set No.20 if anyone has one. The set was produced by Marlborough Military Models of Wales exclusively for Star Collectables.

Cheers

Martyn:)

I've just received this lovely set

STAR SET No 21: BRITISH OFFICER IN DOOLIE CARRIER, DELHI SEIGE TRAIN

NIM1.jpg

NIM2.jpg

I have adding it to my Delhi Relief Column, which I have in one of my display cases, it blends in superbly with my Trophy figures

The paper work I received with it states it is a Limited Edition of 100 sets and is a companion set to No. 20, I would love to see a picture of set No.20 if anyone has one. The set was produced by Marlborough Military Models of Wales exclusively for Star Collectables.

Cheers

Martyn: Great set and find.

Who are Marlborough Military Models of Wales. Is that Brian?
I did not know he had an Indian Mutiny range.
Lovely set by the way.

Who are Marlborough Military Models of Wales. Is that Brian?
I did not know he had an Indian Mutiny range.
Lovely set by the way.

I don't know Damian, I just quoted the name from the original paper work that was enclosed in the set box. I bet someone on here will be able to tell you;)

Cheers

Martyn,

Attached is a picture of the Star 20 that goes with your Star 21. I've never seen a complete list but Star Collectibles marketed 23-25 Indian Mutiny sets as near as I can tell. The sets were made by the folks that made the Blenheim and Marlborough ranges for distribution in the US.

I just joined the forum about a month ago and this is my first attempt at attaching a picture. It lost more resolution than I would like in the compression.

Enjoy.

John

Attachments

• Star20-2.jpg
    Star20-2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 298
Martyn,

Attached is a picture of the Star 20 that goes with your Star 21. I've never seen a complete list but Star Collectibles marketed 23-25 Indian Mutiny sets as near as I can tell. The sets were made by the folks that made the Blenheim and Marlborough ranges for distribution in the US.

I just joined the forum about a month ago and this is my first attempt at attaching a picture. It lost more resolution than I would like in the compression.

imstar.jpg

Enjoy.

John

Welcome to the Forum

That is a superb set John, many thanks for posting the picture. I have added it to my list:wink2:

Cheers

Martyn,

Glad you liked the set... The Star Indain Mutiny series of sets is one of those little niche ranges that I just found interesting and subsequently pursued. With a little time, I could work on some additional pictures if you're interested. If anyone has a complete list of Star sets, I'd like to see it.

Best regards.

John

Martyn,

Glad you liked the set... The Star Indain Mutiny series of sets is one of those little niche ranges that I just found interesting and subsequently pursued. With a little time, I could work on some additional pictures if you're interested. If anyone has a complete list of Star sets, I'd like to see it.

Best regards.

John

Hi John

I would love to see pictures of any other sets {bravo}}

I'm sorry that I can't help with a list but I would love to see a copy as well

Cheers

I don't know Damian, I just quoted the name from the original paper work that was enclosed in the set box. I bet someone on here will be able to tell you;)

Cheers

Marlborough Military Miniatures was the company started by Frank and Jan Scroby after their Blenheim company went out of business in the early 1980s. The figures in both lines start off on their right feet which is somewhat contrary to most other manufacturers. It is sometimes difficult to tell Blenheim figures from Marlborough figures (many are the same castings), but Marlborough's are usually marked with "MMM" on the bottom of the bases while Blenheim in written in script.

Star Collectibles was the American distibutor for Marlborough located in Michigan. It was run by a woman, Curly Star, who I met at the Chicago Show about 18 years ago. They had just experienced a house fire which resulted in many figures being destroyed which basically put them out of business. I seem to remember that she had a list of what had survived the fire, many of which were singles or boxless and damaged. She also had Arkova Panoply knights from the battle of Poitiers in fire damaged boxes which came one figure to a box; I bought about two dozen from her at the time, but have subsequently sold them.

Star Collectibles was an exclusive line made by the Scrobys, in limited production runs of 100 sets, for Curly Star. I have never seen a catalog list of these sets, so I don't know how extensive the line was. However, the line did include Indian Mutiny sets. I bought two boxless sets from her of European Fusiliers that included a couple of pack mules and a mounted officer. Interestingly, on eBay, I recently bid on and lost a Star Collectibles set of Boer War Infantry. It sold for an amazing $255! I will attach some photos. In my opinion, they are just so-so sculpts, but I was interested in them because of the subject matter, but not at that price. I intend to ask Hiriart to make me a version of this set in the future.

Attachments

• Star Boer War.jpg
    Star Boer War.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 223
  • Star Boer War Officer (1).jpg
    Star Boer War Officer (1).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 285
  • Star Boer War Flagbearer.jpg
    Star Boer War Flagbearer.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 227
  • Star Boer War Soldier (1).jpg
    Star Boer War Soldier (1).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 236
Many thanks for that info Mike :salute::

Cheers

Many thanks for that info Mike :salute::

Cheers

You are very welcome Martyn. I may have transposed the owner of Star Collectibles name---it may be Star Curley. Also, I believe the two Star Indian Mutiny sets were numbered 27 and 28 and were BENGAL European Fusiliers. They were wearing gray caps and trousers with white shirts. Star boxes were just like the original Blenheim boxes with a pebbly blue finish and had a gold sticker on the box top that was very similar to Blenheim's, but, of course, said Star with some sort of unique logo that I can't recall.

You are very welcome Martyn. I may have transposed the owner of Star Collectibles name---it may be Star Curley. Also, I believe the two Star Indian Mutiny sets were numbered 27 and 28 and were BENGAL European Fusiliers. They were wearing gray caps and trousers with white shirts.

Thanks again Mike :salute::

Cheers

Martyn and Mike,

It took a few days. This is the best list I could put together for the Star series.

3 Camel Gunners-1850's India
5 Fifes and Drums-Grenadier Guards (1 of 3)
6 Fifes and Drums-Grenadier Guards (2 of 3)
7 Fifes and Drums-Grenadier Guards (3 of 3)
8 Madras Sappers and Miners
9 95th Regiment of Foot- 1850's India
10 26th Lancers-Indian Army (w/officer)
11 26th Lancers-Indian Army
12 Black Watch Pipies and Drums-Boer 1900 (1 of 3)
13 Black Watch Pipies and Drums-Boer 1900 (2 of 3)
13A Black Watch Pipies and Drums-Boer 1900 (3 of 3)
14 Probyn's Horse-Dismounted 1857-Mutiny
15 Probyn's Horse-1857 (w/officer)-Mutiny
15A Probyn's Horse-1857 (w/trumpeter)-Mutiny
16 Captain Peel and Navy Ratings-1857-Mutiny
17 72nd Highland Regiment-Kotah 1858-Mutiny
18 Coke's Rifles-1857-Mutiny
19 Fane's Horse-Dismounted 1860-Mutiny
20 British Infantry on Camels-Dehli Siege Train-1857-Mutiny
21 British Officer in Doolie Carrier-Delhi Siege Train-1857-Mutiny
22 Mutineers-1857
23 66th Ghurka Light Infantry-1857-Mutiny
24 Fane's Horse-1860 (w/officer)-Mutiny
25 93rd Regiment of Foot-Sutherland Highlanders-Lucknow 1857-Mutiny
26 Gordon Highlanders-1857-Mutiny
27 1st Bengal European Fusiliers-1857 (w/2 mules)-Mutiny
28 1st Bengal European Fusiliers-1857 (w/mounted officer)-Mutiny
29 Corps of Guides-Punjab Frontier Force-Mutiny
30 Desert Storm
31 9th Lancers-1857-Mutiny
32 British Officers in Tonga Cart-1857
34A Nana of Bithur Horse Guard (w/Banner)-Mutiny
34B Nana of Bithur Horse Guards-Mutiny
35 Gordon Highlanders (w/mounted officer) Home dress
36A London Irish Band-Home dress (1 of 2?)
36B London Irish Band-Home dress (2 of 2?)

I don't have information for (the presumed) sets 1, 2, 4, 33 or if there are sets numbers above 36. There may be "A" or "B" sets for 24 and 31. I believe the eBay Boer set Mike posted is 1 or 4. The $255 is the highest I've ever seen on eBay for a single set.

There is a reference on the Toy soldier Co. website to a Black Watch Colour Party-1900 which is probably 33 but I've never seen a picture. It is listed as MAR033.

If anyone has additional information, I'd appreciate it.

John

Martyn and Mike,

It took a few days. This is the best list I could put together for the Star series.

3 Camel Gunners-1850's India
5 Fifes and Drums-Grenadier Guards (1 of 3)
6 Fifes and Drums-Grenadier Guards (2 of 3)
7 Fifes and Drums-Grenadier Guards (3 of 3)
8 Madras Sappers and Miners
9 95th Regiment of Foot- 1850's India
10 26th Lancers-Indian Army (w/officer)
11 26th Lancers-Indian Army
12 Black Watch Pipies and Drums-Boer 1900 (1 of 3)
13 Black Watch Pipies and Drums-Boer 1900 (2 of 3)
13A Black Watch Pipies and Drums-Boer 1900 (3 of 3)
14 Probyn's Horse-Dismounted 1857-Mutiny
15 Probyn's Horse-1857 (w/officer)-Mutiny
15A Probyn's Horse-1857 (w/trumpeter)-Mutiny
16 Captain Peel and Navy Ratings-1857-Mutiny
17 72nd Highland Regiment-Kotah 1858-Mutiny
18 Coke's Rifles-1857-Mutiny
19 Fane's Horse-Dismounted 1860-Mutiny
20 British Infantry on Camels-Dehli Siege Train-1857-Mutiny
21 British Officer in Doolie Carrier-Delhi Siege Train-1857-Mutiny
22 Mutineers-1857
23 66th Ghurka Light Infantry-1857-Mutiny
24 Fane's Horse-1860 (w/officer)-Mutiny
25 93rd Regiment of Foot-Sutherland Highlanders-Lucknow 1857-Mutiny
26 Gordon Highlanders-1857-Mutiny
27 1st Bengal European Fusiliers-1857 (w/2 mules)-Mutiny
28 1st Bengal European Fusiliers-1857 (w/mounted officer)-Mutiny
29 Corps of Guides-Punjab Frontier Force-Mutiny
30 Desert Storm
31 9th Lancers-1857-Mutiny
32 British Officers in Tonga Cart-1857
34A Nana of Bithur Horse Guard (w/Banner)-Mutiny
34B Nana of Bithur Horse Guards-Mutiny
35 Gordon Highlanders (w/mounted officer) Home dress
36A London Irish Band-Home dress (1 of 2?)
36B London Irish Band-Home dress (2 of 2?)

I don't have information for (the presumed) sets 1, 2, 4, 33 or if there are sets numbers above 36. There may be "A" or "B" sets for 24 and 31. I believe the eBay Boer set Mike posted is 1 or 4. The $255 is the highest I've ever seen on eBay for a single set.

There is a reference on the Toy soldier Co. website to a Black Watch Colour Party-1900 which is probably 33 but I've never seen a picture. It is listed as MAR033.

If anyone has additional information, I'd appreciate it.

John

WOW John, looks like some great sets are listed there, many thanks :salute:::salute:::salute::

At least I have one of them^&grin

Cheers

Thank you John for the list. Maybe some other collectors can help fill in the blanks.

Star set #22 has been listed today on eBay. The seller says it is called Sepoy Mutiniers, India, 1857 and is set number 81 of 100. He is asking $50.00

Attachments

• Star 22 Sepoy Mutiniers, India, 1857.jpg
    Star 22 Sepoy Mutiniers, India, 1857.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Star 22 (3).jpg
    Star 22 (3).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 237
  • Star 22 (2).jpg
    Star 22 (2).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 191
Thanks for the info Mike :salute::

Cheers

Star set 17 the 72nd Highlander Regiment, Kotah Mutiny, 1858 is being offered today on eBay for $40.

Attachments

• Star 17 72nd HL.jpg
    Star 17 72nd HL.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 283
  • Star 17.jpg
    Star 17.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 285

Users who are viewing this thread

Back