Marx Soldiers Still Alive (1 Viewer)

Hi all-

Marx was truly a timeless company that I wish was still around today. Do any of you still have your Marx sets from the 70s? While I no longer own my old sets/vehicles, I am fortunate to have saved a shoe box full of US and German soldiers. Thanks to some reissued Marx items (destroyed building and 105 mm), here's a small diorama:

9141556539_bf265d8432_o.jpg

There are a lot of us Marx collectors around! I love them still and they're what I collect more than anything else.

Jim

When I was 6 or 7, the newspaper boy came by with that soldier with the grenade in your pic, the soldier with the tommy gun at his waist (not in pic) and a few others. I was blown away. I traded for them with some 7th cavalry. I have since lost everything and now try to recapture my childhood with expensive metal soldiers. I like to look at the Plastics section of this Forum the most. I especially like Scott's plywood battleground and his thousands of different plastic soldiers. I love the simplicity. Sometimes very surreal looking.

There's still a LOT to be said for many of the old Marx figures. They had the "usual" poses, standing and kneeling riflemen, etc but they also had a lot of pieces with character. Each guy was a bit different than the others. I traded for some of my friend's Marx guys circa 1960 and bought more when I got a job later on. The Kresge stores used to carry bags of Marx GIs, Germans, etc. Even today I find that I can use some of the Marx figures with minor upgrades alongside my Conte GIs. Good sculpting never goes out of date.

Gary B.

It's strange that this thread about Marx started now. My wife is out of town for a week or so and I have the place to myself. I was just finishing up a big Marx Blue and Gray set up on the dining room table when I took a break to check the computer and found this thread.

The lighting is lousy and I just threw the back drops together so it's hard to get any good angles, but the pics give an idea of what I'm doing with my playtime.

Most of the figures in the set-up are conversions.

Hi all-

Marx was truly a timeless company that I wish was still around today. Do any of you still have your Marx sets from the 70s? While I no longer own my old sets/vehicles, I am fortunate to have saved a shoe box full of US and German soldiers. Thanks to some reissued Marx items (destroyed building and 105 mm), here's a small diorama:

Looks good. Why not join the Marxplaysets Group at YAHOO Groups. Many MARX collectors are there.

-Frank

Hi all-

You need to get to OTSN in September, or the Marx Convention...last weekend.

It's strange that this thread about Marx started now. My wife is out of town for a week or so and I have the place to myself. I was just finishing up a big Marx Blue and Gray set up on the dining room table when I took a break to check the computer and found this thread.

What an awesome collection and diorama! Most impressive.

I've been playing with/collecting toy soldiers since the mid-fifties. Started out with Marx, Lido, Rel, MPC, ec. until the mid-ninties when K&C came around. Gave all my plastics away, sold them, and a few special pieces went to my attic. Had a huge collection of K&C, JJD, FL,etc. Last year visited the Alamo and on the plane ride back, got nostalgic about my Marx Davy Crockett Alamo Playset. Sold all but a few metal pieces, and got back into plastic and playsets. Now I have a almost complete Zorro, Ft. Apache, and Western Town (Dodge City), with partial space, Untouchables, etc. I haven't had this much fun collecting in years. IMO the best set of figures ever produced in plastic or metal is the 6 figure group of revised 60mm Marx pioneers..... The hunt is on.....

Neat story Pugio. I find myself still very much interested in Marx and Classic Toy Soldier plastics while now into King & Country. The plastics are very nostalgic, It's too bad that the plastic toy soldiers/army men sold in stores are so horrible now. The kids can't appreciate Marx and the fine sculptures/details of the figures and playsets that we had.

Marx soldiers, accessories, terrain, etc. are very much alive and infiltrating the Young Collector Consciousness by way of toy shows, flea markets, etc. I always sell at a loss to kids with their own money; Granpa pays full retail!
You might, if so inclined towwards face-to-face reselling or even ebaying, talk to the guys who control many of the original MARX molds:
http://www.hobbybunker.com/products/marx-57/mfg
'
They might work with you on resale discounts ... "play it forward!":salute::
'

pEEgEE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back