Merry Christmas from Ye Blue Boare Inn (1 Viewer)

Hi Ivanhoe,

I have a question for you. Nothing to do with toy soldiers, but with linguistics.
On the header of the message thread , you write "Ye.....Inn" but on the 'card' itself "The .....Inn" Any reason for the difference in spelling? Just curious.

Nothing to do (intentionally) with "linguistics", which an olde person like myself probably violates daily...sorry...just wrote "the" on the picture.

The sign on the Barzso Inn, was made after an illustration from Howard Pyle's _The Adventures of Robin Hood_.

I did see something, somewhat related on the television in October, a "linguistics" expert said that " Y[SUP]e[/SUP]" (with the raised "e") means "the" while "Ye" means "you"...however I suppose this is olde news to everyone but me.

Christmas Close-up_Blue Boare Inn_01.jpg

I did see something, somewhat related on the television in October, a "linguistics" expert said that " Y[SUP]e[/SUP]" (with the raised "e") means "the" while "Ye" means "you"...however I suppose this is olde news to everyone but me.

Yes, that is exactly right, "Ye olde shoppe" (and it was raised only in manuscripts, not on shop signs) should be pronounced "The old shop" not "ye old shop" (which doesn't make any sense anyway.). I just wondered if that is what you meant. Thanks for the discussion of linguistic matters :)

Yes, that is exactly right, "Ye olde shoppe" (and it was raised only in manuscripts, not on shop signs) should be pronounced "The old shop" not "ye old shop" (which doesn't make any sense anyway.). I just wondered if that is what you meant. Thanks for the discussion of linguistic matters :)

I did not know that it was "raised only in manuscripts, not on shop signs".

Even at my age..."Learn something new every day" !

This link, shows the illustration from Howard Pyle's book:
https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/p/pyle/howard/robin-hood/images/005a.jpg

Thank You !

May everyone on the Forum have a Blessed Christmas !

Sheriff_Chain_Small_2018.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back