Metal Molds (1 Viewer)

GIGene

Does anyone have any sound advice on using metal molds. I have a few and it always seems like its hit or miss on most of my pours. Any advice to make things a little more productive?

Does anyone have any sound advice on using metal molds. I have a few and it always seems like its hit or miss on most of my pours. Any advice to make things a little more productive?

You need to ask Kilted Vampire how not to use a Coffee Mug! :D:D:D

But seriously, KV has got a thread going concerning casting and might be the best for advice.

Jeff

Ah!!! Yes, This guy would be the guy to ask about how to cast figures because anything that can happen to you casting most likely has happened to the kilted one.:p
Rule number one! "NEVER" put hot molten metal into a coffe cup!!!:p

Sorry vamp, I just can,t resist such a good chance to rag on you again!

Yes the vamp has cast many figures and should be able to help you out and I think he has a few threads on casting.

DSC02680.jpg

1. Heat your molds so that they're warm but not too hot. (I put one on the grill and it melted!)

2. Use a candle to get soot over the entire mold cavity.

I started with A.G. Gilbert molds as a kid, but use silicone ones now as they're much superior in getting detail.

Al

1. Heat your molds so that they're warm but not too hot. (I put one on the grill and it melted!)

2. Use a candle to get soot over the entire mold cavity.

I started with A.G. Gilbert molds as a kid, but use silicone ones now as they're much superior in getting detail.

Al

I vill second all of Als' comments and add that you can use your lead pot to varm the mold as vell. MUAHAHAHAHAHAAaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OK, I'll have to work with it. Of course rubber molds are far superior. I bought some metal ones to increase the variety of figures that I can produce. But they are tough to use sometimes. By the way, I was surprised to hear that the ceramic cup exploded. I do some historic reenacting and I know this one guy who makes period pewter button by melting the pewter in a thick ceramic cup suspended over an open fire. Maybe you needed to preheat the cup?????

By the way..have you ever molded in pewter?

I love Pewter! When you have finished figures together in a pile they jingle! They melt at a lower temp. Fills the molds well. Expensive but worth it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I'll have to work with it. Of course rubber molds are far superior. I bought some metal ones to increase the variety of figures that I can produce. But they are tough to use sometimes. By the way, I was surprised to hear that the ceramic cup exploded. I do some historic reenacting and I know this one guy who makes period pewter button by melting the pewter in a thick ceramic cup suspended over an open fire. Maybe you needed to preheat the cup?????

Ah yes the famous mug. No doubt one of the inferior chineese mugs so prevalent today. Maybe the lead reacted with the lead I poured:eek::eek: The mug was already half way full.

Ahhh......there you go then, hot meeting cooler equals splash :eek::eek:

Jeff

Not so fast oh mighty painter. Taken out of context. We were talking about inferior chineese products that were undoubtably lead tainted.:D

Not so fast oh mighty painter. Taken out of context. We were talking about inferior chineese products that were undoubtably lead tainted.:D

LOL, Very good :D:D

How long have you had the "Lord Kilwillie" tag, is that new?

Jeff

LOL, Very good :D:D

How long have you had the "Lord Kilwillie" tag, is that new?

Jeff

I just added it. I and the gf are fans of Monarch. I have thought that Kilwillie is a very lovable character and needs more exposure. We are now watching the 5th series on DVD. Long live the McDonalds!

I just added it. I and the gf are fans of Monarch. I have thought that Kilwillie is a very lovable character and needs more exposure. We are now watching the 5th series on DVD. Long live the McDonalds!

Finshed the 5th series now working on 6th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back