Mignot repair inquiry - Set #04 Gauls in Combat (1 Viewer)

RVM - Mignot

Private
Hello,

This is my first post to the forum.

I am a collector of Mignot figures. I have a small collection of perhaps 50 individual post-war pieces. I like their charm and whimsy and also the fact that no two are alike.

Typically, I am able to easily repair them, but this Gaul (believed to date circa 1960s) presents a challenge. There is no ability to drill into the hand, and the diameter of the remaining spear shaft is too small to pin. My training is always to keep original material while doing the least amount of restoration possible (I'm a former museum metals conservator - not toy soldier related).

I would like to know from those more skilled than I am, should I:

A) attempt to solder
B) attempt multiple applications of cyanoacrylate or epoxy glue in small amounts
C) is there a benefit to using a metal (brass) piece as opposed to wood (more easily size matched but maybe not as strong)

Is there another method?

All help appreciated. Thank you.

Gaul.jpg Gaul-detail.jpg

First it looks like it suffer from lead rot/lead disease/lead plague
Read what a collector ( famous one ) say about this

Replacing half the lance, drill through the existing one with small drill 0,8 0,6 mm or even smaller, begin with small speed and accelerate slowly, not to fast because lead will heat and there is a danger of melding down

If soldering, use special low heat melding compound plus a specific flux or compound including flux, you must stay in a temperature below lead melding point
.. and use "third hand to fix the 2 pieces together during soldering
something like
troisieme-main-toolcraft-zd-10f.jpg

Best

First it looks like it suffer from lead rot/lead disease/lead plague
Read what a collector ( famous one ) say about this

Thank you for your reply.

Why do you say this piece has lead disease? I'm seeing no residual powder or any rough surfaces under magnification. I understand these former are the signs?

Your piece looks like it could be repaired by pinning. Use a pin vice - which is a hand tool - and not driven by electricity. It is a slow, but sure method of making holes of very small diameter using the appropriate sized drill-bit.

Drill into the end of your spear to a depth of around 5 millimetres - and then attach the "new" part ( of the same diameter) with a metal pin. You will of course have had to drill into the new part to be joined to a similar depth.

I would then pin the two parts together using an epoxy resin glue, which is much stronger than super-glue (cyanoacrylate) - and leave the whole thing to set.

An alternative method would be to either purchase a hand with a spear (or maybe cast up a new one yourself)- and remove the existing hand with spear- and pin the new part in place. But I'm with you on keeping as much original as you can - so would prefer the previous method - if it's possible.

Hope that helps. johnnybach

Thank you for your reply.

Why do you say this piece has lead disease? I'm seeing no residual powder or any rough surfaces under magnification. I understand these former are the signs?

It's a guess; because I see only pictures
On the second picture, lot of "bubbles" on helmet and arms ... that's what frighten me

Your piece looks like it could be repaired by pinning. Use a pin vice - which is a hand tool - and not driven by electricity. It is a slow, but sure method of making holes of very small diameter using the appropriate sized drill-bit.

Drill into the end of your spear to a depth of around 5 millimetres - and then attach the "new" part ( of the same diameter) with a metal pin. You will of course have had to drill into the new part to be joined to a similar depth.

I would then pin the two parts together using an epoxy resin glue, which is much stronger than super-glue (cyanoacrylate) - and leave the whole thing to set.

An alternative method would be to either purchase a hand with a spear (or maybe cast up a new one yourself)- and remove the existing hand with spear- and pin the new part in place. But I'm with you on keeping as much original as you can - so would prefer the previous method - if it's possible.

Hope that helps. johnnybach

It does, thank you. I think I will try to drill/pin, as you suggest; I have everything necessary save for the proper diameter replacement rod.

It's a guess; because I see only pictures
On the second picture, lot of "bubbles" on helmet and arms ... that's what frighten me

Hi, Mirof...

I do see that, yes. I did not realize that this could be a sign of the disease.

I have read there are immersive treatments for it, but I don't recall if one can use them on already painted figures?

While I am repairing the foot figure, I might as well tackle his riding companion as well. I believe this is from the same set. It has a crude epoxy repair to the hand/shield, and there is also a rubber piece that has been added to help the rider stay on the horse.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bf3.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bf5.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bf6.jpg

It does, thank you. I think I will try to drill/pin, as you suggest; I have everything necessary save for the proper diameter replacement rod.

I know from past experience that it can be difficult to source "spare parts" that will fit in with your repair requirements. However, there are a few good sources out there for bits and pieces that may be able to do the job.

Go for anything at all in softish metal that could be trimmed down or sanded back to be of use.

Here are a couple of ideas of places that could supply parts for use ( or if you already know about them - please accept my apologies)..

First one is http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/ Have a look at their 42mm range - and scoot down the menu at the side to find "Deutsche Homage". Here you will find castings which look rather similar to Heyde or Haffner etc, ( or even parts for Mignot - at a pinch, perhaps).

Remember that a bigger part, can always be trimmed down to fit - and these parts are made from soft metal that is easily worked - and also reasonably priced.

Another source of parts - but mainly towards the Britains range - is http://www.dorsetmodelsoldiers.com/

Both of these companies sell unpainted castings - and/or bits and pieces from them that could be useful to you. Both also have very good online catalogues that are full of illustrations of things you can buy - so maybe have a look - and think a bit "out of the box". Maybe a broom handle used by a sailor - might make a replacement spear?

Both companies are also run by enthusiasts who are willing to help out with parts you might be able to uses or adapt to fit in with repairs. An e-mail with maybe a picture of what you want to fix up might help?

Again - hope that helps. jb

I know from past experience that it can be difficult to source "spare parts" that will fit in with your repair requirements. However, there are a few good sources out there for bits and pieces that may be able to do the job.

Go for anything at all in softish metal that could be trimmed down or sanded back to be of use.

Here are a couple of ideas of places that could supply parts for use ( or if you already know about them - please accept my apologies)..

First one is http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/ Have a look at their 42mm range - and scoot down the menu at the side to find "Deutsche Homage". Here you will find castings which look rather similar to Heyde or Haffner etc, ( or even parts for Mignot - at a pinch, perhaps).

Remember that a bigger part, can always be trimmed down to fit - and these parts are made from soft metal that is easily worked - and also reasonably priced.

Another source of parts - but mainly towards the Britains range - is http://www.dorsetmodelsoldiers.com/

Both of these companies sell unpainted castings - and/or bits and pieces from them that could be useful to you. Both also have very good online catalogues that are full of illustrations of things you can buy - so maybe have a look - and think a bit "out of the box". Maybe a broom handle used by a sailor - might make a replacement spear?

Both companies are also run by enthusiasts who are willing to help out with parts you might be able to uses or adapt to fit in with repairs. An e-mail with maybe a picture of what you want to fix up might help?

Again - hope that helps. jb

Thank you, jb; I will explore the sites you recommend.

Thank you, jb; I will explore the sites you recommend.

Pleasure RVM. I just had a thought which might help you locate some spares in the USA. There's a Company called "London Bridge Toy Soldiers" - which I think is in Emmaus PA, who do spare part castings too. I think most are meant for Britains - but maybe they could help you out too??? Maybe send them a picture or two - and tell them what you want to do????

Here's a link; https://londonbridgecollectorstoys.com/

It may be a bit more "local" than getting parts from the UK.

Always a pleasure to help out a like-minded colleague, who wants to rescue some of our battered chums!;)

I know some people don't "get it" - but it really is a very pleasurable experience rescuing an old Toy Soldier from the rubbish bin. Especially so, when it's a bit of a rarity. Mignot's don't grow on trees these days - and if you do a good job - and with a good re-paint, it will take an expert to investigate and realise that they've been repaired.

Best of luck - jb

I know some people don't "get it" - but it really is a very pleasurable experience rescuing an old Toy Soldier from the rubbish bin. Especially so, when it's a bit of a rarity. Mignot's don't grow on trees these days - and if you do a good job - and with a good re-paint, it will take an expert to investigate and realise that they've been repaired.

Best of luck - jb

Hi, jb...

Thank you; I will check that site as well.

Totally agree re: saving these. Good fun and a good feeling when I am done (hopefully). :) Will post some photos as I go along.

Strangely enough - an e-bay find arrived today. As it is one of my favourite subjects - I cleaned off the grotty old paint straight away. He is in pretty good condition, although He had a snapped off lance in his right hand (similar to your snapped off spear - in a way - just the other end). I cut off the remaining bits - and drilled straight through the hand - then put in a new "lance" ( which is made from an umbrella spoke, that I saved when an old one finally blew inside out!). I'll make up the sharp end later from Milliput ( epoxy resin two-part putty).

This may also be an option for you to do - saving the spear tip to graft on - of course.

PIC_4475.JPG

Just a thought - as another option for your repair. jb

Strangely enough - an e-bay find arrived today. As it is one of my favourite subjects - I cleaned off the grotty old paint straight away. He is in pretty good condition, although He had a snapped off lance in his right hand (similar to your snapped off spear - in a way - just the other end). I cut off the remaining bits - and drilled straight through the hand - then put in a new "lance" ( which is made from an umbrella spoke, that I saved when an old one finally blew inside out!). I'll make up the sharp end later from Milliput ( epoxy resin two-part putty).

This may also be an option for you to do - saving the spear tip to graft on - of course.

That is a nice Knight jb !

That is a nice Knight jb !

Hi buddy - and yes, he is a corker. He came in with a job lot which included mostly, Cowboys and Native Americans - so quite a mixture of pieces - but it was too good a bargain to miss.

As he's an original (Old Hollowcast Britains Knights of Agincourt range) - and in VERY good condition - I won't chop him about TOO much this time.

However the point of showing him here - is to show another method of restoring a broken part - with this time - what was left of the lance, being removed by surgery - and just replaced completely. jb

View attachment 220636

Hi jb,

He is a beauty. Funny enough, your recommended repair option is exactly what I have decided to do. I will remove the spear from the top of the hand, re-attach, and use the original spear tip.

I found him a companion on eBay last night for a great price (no repair needed unless he is poorly packed and damaged in transit).

Hi jb,

He is a beauty. Funny enough, your recommended repair option is exactly what I have decided to do. I will remove the spear from the top of the hand, re-attach, and use the original spear tip.

I found him a companion on eBay last night for a great price (no repair needed unless he is poorly packed and damaged in transit).

Excellent - good luck with the repair. Just take your time - and you'll be fine - as some of this metal is getting quite elderly now. jb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back