Mk003 (s) (3 Viewers)

I just looked and the bid is already above what I paid. I was fortunate and bought out another collection which the man generously only charged me 10% below original retail for the whole collection, all NIB. The best was BBA15, AK39,WS72, WS80 and AE12 (Pair of Pharaoh's stutues)

How does one such originating post from me asking a question about a specific item and the interest being shown on Ebay lead to...others replying with sorry you made a bad investment & better luck next time!...How in the world did "bad investment" even find it's way in here if others had no idea how much I paid? So, I let them know...then comes sarcasm from 3 or 4 people and now here we are posting about infomercials and how this place shouldn't be turned into a place on "How to make millions flipping toys"

Odd how once again my post can be the starting point for yet another twisted post ending so far from the original post!

You ask why your post gets twisted? Do you have to get into what a great deal you got? Or how you figured out a way to get Kingsx freebies and then flip to ebay? Sounds like many late night infomercials to me. I can understand that were curious that nobody was watching your auction, and I believe I gave you some input on that. Its like hearing gamblers who only talk about there winnings. Are we going to get fair and balance reporting on the times you over paid for an item? The bottom line is, "good" investment, "bad" investment only comes up when you try to put a value on toys.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I just can't figure out why MarkeytMaker keeps getting slammed on this thread...

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I just can't figure out why MarkeytMaker keeps getting slammed on this thread...

I wasn't trying to slam anyone. My first post was "here we go again." Another peeing contest. I believe there are some people who may not take to his philosophies, but to each his own. I met MarkeytMaker at the Westcoaster and he seemed like a nice enough guy. My input is only to answer questions honestly. There is always going to be some tension when you have alot of smart people chasing toys around. I do not include myself as one of the smart guys because this toy collecting stuff has made me nuts.

Some observations...

Collecting toy soldiers is not like some other areas of collecting. In comparison, this is a small hobby. Only the largest companies are able to do production runs of 1000 or more. While the hobby is expanding in exciting ways, it's still a relatively small group of people who are passionate about it. Because of that, many (rightly or wrongly) see it more as a 'club.' They work within the hobby to take care of each other and help each other with their collecting needs.

Obviously, places like eBay change that equation. Due to the limited nature of some releases, there can be money to be made by purchasing at retail and selling for a profit. This has always caused tension on the forum.

On the one hand, it's within anyone's right to buy and sell as they see fit. It's a risk to buy an item to resell, as the market may not increase on that item. Some enjoy taking that risk.

On the other hand, as a small hobby, some people feel that 'gobbling up' low priced items to sell for higher prices hurts people within the hobby. The thought is that if 1000 items were made for 1000 collectors, why should 100 collectors have to pay higher prices because a few people want to make money by snapping up the extra 100 (these numbers are purely hypothetical). Again, as a small hobby, the thought isn't that 'some unfortunate person out there' is paying more than they have to.' The thought is that 'a fellow collector of toy soldiers (someone I may know) is paying more.' That changes the equation for some.

What I'm getting at is that every time someone talks about making money by selling soldiers (other than dealers, who have a lot more investment in it:D) some people get rubbed the wrong way. It has always led to conflict on the forum.

So we have two very different viewpoints crashing together. How do we live together without personally tearing each other apart?

Well to be fair, it seems like you have two; one for the above and the second for encouraging a more proactive moderation.;) Frankly, I think the moderators should be encouraged to be less draconian in their deletions and I think Scott made the right call. Unfortunately, that was second guessed, as happens; same old dog, same old fight.:(

It's funny what rubs some people the wrong way and not others. My advice would be if it bothers you ignore the thread or his posts. What Markey does with his money and his toys are his business. Comments on this thread to me seem to be of jealousy.

Remember that old saying, if you don't have anything nice to say.....

It's funny what rubs some people the wrong way and not others. My advice would be if it bothers you ignore the thread or his posts. What Markey does with his money and his toys are his business. Comments on this thread to me seem to be of jealousy.

Remember that old saying, if you don't have anything nice to say.....

Trust me. There is no jeolousy here. I'm just adding to my thread count.

Some observations...

Collecting toy soldiers is not like some other areas of collecting. In comparison, this is a small hobby. Only the largest companies are able to do production runs of 1000 or more. While the hobby is expanding in exciting ways, it's still a relatively small group of people who are passionate about it. Because of that, many (rightly or wrongly) see it more as a 'club.' They work within the hobby to take care of each other and help each other with their collecting needs.

Obviously, places like eBay change that equation. Due to the limited nature of some releases, there can be money to be made by purchasing at retail and selling for a profit. This has always caused tension on the forum.

On the one hand, it's within anyone's right to buy and sell as they see fit. It's a risk to buy an item to resell, as the market may not increase on that item. Some enjoy taking that risk.

On the other hand, as a small hobby, some people feel that 'gobbling up' low priced items to sell for higher prices hurts people within the hobby. The thought is that if 1000 items were made for 1000 collectors, why should 100 collectors have to pay higher prices because a few people want to make money by snapping up the extra 100 (these numbers are purely hypothetical). Again, as a small hobby, the thought isn't that 'some unfortunate person out there' is paying more than they have to.' The thought is that 'a fellow collector of toy soldiers (someone I may know) is paying more.' That changes the equation for some.

What I'm getting at is that every time someone talks about making money by selling soldiers (other than dealers, who have a lot more investment in it:D) some people get rubbed the wrong way. It has always led to conflict on the forum.

So we have two very different viewpoints crashing together. How do we live together without personally tearing each other apart?

I'm ready to start. Kumbaya..., Kumbaya.

Some observations...

If it's looked at as a fence with each his own side...I probably do stand out since I'm sitting on it...I buy/sell & collect...I admit I see the tension and I apologize for posting about my personal transactions, not all were purposeful, some I thought were even informative...nevertheless, I would like to add that I'm not one sided and I'm capable of any good deed a long time collector is capable of providing to another member here.

Some of us have collected for many years through thick and thin.Obviously it is nice to know that what you have bought, for whatever reason (love or gold) has increased in value or held it's own. But perhaps a degree of discretion as to what you rush to tell the world would go a long way. Telling us all how to buy long and sell short as if none of us have ever heard of it comes across as a bit self satisfied. Speculators vs collectors is an ongoing issue. Collectors may sell but they usually originally bought for love and just held on a long time. People like Louis did not go about in 1995 buying wooden tanks with the idea of selling them in 6 months time. If now Louis sells them at a big profit well then good for him. It is short term manipulation of a market that is a bda thing. Look at all the recent crashes of the last few years. Unfortunately the matt manufacturer approach of producing limited runs lends itself to this sort of behaviour. You know there are only 1000 of these pieces ect. Trophy and LL etc never limited production. That is why they never shot up in value when they were in production. Now that the company is out of prodcution the value goes up.
Teh same happened with old Britains back in the 1960's. They were childrens toys until legislation stopped the manufacture of lead based toys in 1966. Now they are collectors items.

If it's looked at as a fence with each his own side...I probably do stand out since I'm sitting on it...I buy/sell & collect...I admit I see the tension and I apologize for posting about my personal transactions, not all were purposeful, some I thought were even informative...nevertheless, I would like to add that I'm not one sided and I'm capable of any good deed a long time collector is capable of providing to another member here.
Good for you mate and I for one don't mind what you buy, for what price or how many. FWIW, I would add that while your "friends" posts are diverting, I really don't think you need gimics to find friends here; just be yourself and they will naturally appear as your interests are revealed. Just my two cents.:)

Well to be fair, it seems like you have two; one for the above and the second for encouraging a more proactive moderation.;) Frankly, I think the moderators should be encouraged to be less draconian in their deletions and I think Scott made the right call. Unfortunately, that was second guessed, as happens; same old dog, same old fight.:(

So, I try to encourage civility and someone decides to correct me by overanalyzing my idiom? This time I will use plain language to avoid misunderstanding: Be nice. Picking apart the post of someone advocating civil behavior is beyond pointless and, in this case, shows a misunderstanding of the use of idioms.

So, I try to encourage civility and someone decides to correct me by overanalyzing my idiom? This time I will use plain language to avoid misunderstanding: Be nice. Picking apart the post of someone advocating civil behavior is beyond pointless and, in this case, shows a misunderstanding of the use of idioms.
Oh I understand your idiom just find; it is your message that I do not happen to share. I believe those with differences with each other or their comments should be free to work them out. However if you were truly intending to encourage civility, your last post suggests a rather interesting syntax for your idiom.;)

Good for you mate and I for one don't mind what you buy, for what price or how many. FWIW, I would add that while your "friends" posts are diverting, I really don't think you need gimics to find friends here; just be yourself and they will naturally appear as your interests are revealed. Just my two cents.:)
If I personally choose to inquire friends by asking that I'm looking for friends...then what you assume it's a gimmick? Why don't you just avoid responding to any of my posts in the future and do us both a favor.

If I personally choose to inquire friends by asking that I'm looking for friends...then what you assume it's a gimmick? Why don't you just avoid responding to any of my posts in the future and do us both a favor.
It was a friendly suggestion nothing more and it was not the asking that I meant by the reference but whatever.

I think Peter made some good points. Personally, I collect toy soldiers to forget about the real world.

Oh I understand your idiom just find; it is your message that I do not happen to share. I believe those with differences with each other or their comments should be free to work them out. However if you were truly intending to encourage civility, your last post suggests a rather interesting syntax for your idiom.;)

I wasn't trying to encourage civility in my last post; I was annoyed by your post telling me that I didn't mean what I said. You still don't understand what I meant in my post containing the idiom, but I don't think a long explanation would help much. And I know what "syntax" means, but I don't know what it means in your post.
My "message," if there was one, was that cruel words were used against a forum member and should have been removed. These cruel words hurt the victim. The words were not removed by a moderator who read the post. I pointed this out as moral support for the victim. My reward has been 1) a moderator telling me I was wrong (which I wasn't), 2) a second moderator telling me I should have reported the post using the usual methods (which I considered but didn't do because the moderator had already read the words and I wanted to support the victim), and 3) you telling me that I didn't mean what I said in a tangential phrase of a later post.
No good deed goes unpunished.

I wasn't trying to encourage civility in my last post; I was annoyed by your post telling me that I didn't mean what I said. You still don't understand what I meant in my post containing the idiom, but I don't think a long explanation would help much. And I know what "syntax" means, but I don't know what it means in your post.
My "message," if there was one, was that cruel words were used against a forum member and should have been removed. These cruel words hurt the victim. The words were not removed by a moderator who read the post. I pointed this out as moral support for the victim. My reward has been 1) a moderator telling me I was wrong (which I wasn't), 2) a second moderator telling me I should have reported the post using the usual methods (which I considered but didn't do because the moderator had already read the words and I wanted to support the victim), and 3) you telling me that I didn't mean what I said in a tangential phrase of a later post.
No good deed goes unpunished.
Well by the usual meaning of your idiom you seemed to saying that while you have an opinion, you didn't have a interest in the outcome. That struck me as incongruous given that you had first expressed a concern about the first moderators lack of editorial action and a then a desire to protect the feelings of your "victim". That to me seems like two interests or "two dogs in the hunt". Now perhaps you intended a more subtle variation but if so you could have just explained it, since by definition, it would not be the more common meaning. In any event, pointing out how a series of words is taken by the reader is hardly telling someone they do not know what they are saying, merely attempting, however in vain, to improve the level of communication that has obvious become somewhat ineffectual.;) No matter what though, I love the cat.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back