Model soldiers vs. Toy Soldiers (1 Viewer)

chillywill

Private 2
I have not been to many toy soldier shows unfortunately but have always wondered why both types of collectors do not team up for more shows together. I enjoy both quite a bit and seems like there is maybe a little friendly rivalry or is it just me.

Hi, and welcome. I'm not sure what you mean by model soldiers, but...I'll assume that you mean the many figures that are out in kits in 1/35th scale. There are tons of those out there, and as I recall Tamiya was one of the very first companies to do so. Why they and others went the 1/35 instead of 1/32 I don't know. I'm amazed at all the various sets out there, mostly from WWII, but with other levels also. Actually, Airfix did 1/32 scale model figures, such as the multi-pose, and the blister-card models. You do see some kits at the big toy solider shows, and also some 1/32 at the model shows, but as to why they don't mix much, I don't know.
There is a little hobby store not to far from me that specialize in the 1/35 lines, and I don't think they would know a Marx or Airfix figure if it bit them.
Sorry, none of this is an answer, but hopefully someone has one.

Apples and oranges. Kits are generally out of scale with toy soldiers. In their favor kit built figures are low price, they are generally better sculpted, have greater detail and skills permitting can be more realistically painted than most toy soldiers come from the box. The downside of kits is the time, space, tools and paints required to make them ready for display.

I find the Ontario Model Soldier Society is a great mix of folks. The annual show even has 1/6 representation for sale and on display.
Grant

Thanks for the input guys!! Just wondered why the two hobbies do not put shows together. Maybe I am biased because i enjoy both. Have fun and hobby on.....

Pert of the reason there is not more cross over is that there are two different attitudes in play. I do models and I collect the "toy" soldiers. The model guy wants to see YOUR figure, the one you built, painted or modified and displayed. They don't care about the results of a Chinese lady sitting in a factory painting hundreds of the same figures. The toy guy is more into the collecting or creative displaying. For them to change or repaint a figure "ruins" its value. I like to build and modify, but because I have poor time management skills I rarely get my projects done, so I buy the "toys" because I find them pleasing to the eye. Yes, we should be able to get along, but the common ground is fairly narrow.

Gary B.

Very valid points Gary and thanks. I enjoy both very much also and like you my time is limited (sometimes due to my nature). Have a good day!

I have collected toy soldiers in plastic since 1955.
I like model soldiers, and often with my dad's help and encouragement
built MONOGRAM, REVELL and RENWAL
military kits in the 50's - '60's. Some of the figures are quite engaging.
The clubs to which I belong which cross over, i.e. have all types
on display and for sale at their annual shows, are the South Carolina
www.scmms.net
and Atlanta Military Miniatures
http://www.atlantafigures.com/
Societies.
The guys and gals who build and painstakingly decorate metal and plastic
and resin kits, then display them in museum-like settings, are to be admired.
I have painted a few kits as a result of my hobnobbing with them.
But for sheer joy, to me, nothing beats a playset!
http://www.barbigirl.com/mibplaysets.htm
and I have won medals for my displays!
'
pEEgEE:salute::

Users who are viewing this thread

Back