Mold manufacturers (1 Viewer)

If I do any sculpting I will certainly give you a call. Especially in light of your earlier mold making posts:)

I do some mold work- usually my fee is 'cost of materials x2'; but I would also recommend asking at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/prince_august_moulds/?yguid=53826605

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/casting/?yguid=53826605

Hi Big Miller Bro,

This being kilted vampires thread I do not want to intrude, and only was looking at possibilities after any work you may do with him, if you have time.

I do figure sculpting regularly as hobby & would love to make a duplicates of a few of my figures. But I haven't the desire to go though the learning and skill stages required to make my own molds. I typically make 65mm figures all in one piece, from sculpey on wire armature with seperate weapons and shields. I always imagined however that I would have to sculpt for molding in specific way, possibly in pieces, to avoid undercuts. And there may be much more to it, that I just don't know. If you have the time, I was wondering if you could tell me what is needed from the sculpting viewpoint and if you think you could make any molds for me. Materials X2 sounds very reasonable, but have to admit I have know idea what that materials cost, other then I have read they are expensive.. I can post pics of some examples of my work. Thanks

Hi Big Miller Bro,

This being kilted vampires thread I do not want to intrude, and only was looking at possibilities after any work you may do with him, if you have time.

I do figure sculpting regularly as hobby & would love to make a duplicates of a few of my figures. But I haven't the desire to go though the learning and skill stages required to make my own molds. I typically make 65mm figures all in one piece, from sculpey on wire armature with seperate weapons and shields. I always imagined however that I would have to sculpt for molding in specific way, possibly in pieces, to avoid undercuts. And there may be much more to it, that I just don't know. If you have the time, I was wondering if you could tell me what is needed from the sculpting viewpoint and if you think you could make any molds for me. Materials X2 sounds very reasonable, but have to admit I have know idea what that materials cost, other then I have read they are expensive.. I can post pics of some examples of my work. Thanks

Please post the pics. I do not own any thread. I may start them once in a while But it is free forum. I look forward to your participation.

Ok, now that Prince August has finally gotten the Romans/Britons out of their system, do you think they'll ever produce any more 54 mm toy soldier molds?? They are like molasses on production. They should give up the entire new range idea and just keep supplementing existing ranges. That spurs more excitement for the molds that are already for sale as well as the new ones. It's like they get so close to making a range complete...and then move on. British Napoleonic firing??? No, they did Christmas ornaments and Knights...and then didn't make a firing crossbowman. Again, not completed. They make good molds but come on already!!!!!

Oh, I never saw those romans!! Too bad they don't sell molds of the command groups as well. Maybe in the future.

Some additional info on manufacturers (not custom):
I bought two newly reissued schneider molds (wehrmacht/SS marching 2x and SA marching 3x) but haven't got around casting any figures.
They are from a seller in germany who makes them.

http://www.zinn-blei-soldaten.de/

Very nice aren't they? And they are in metal. All figures are semi flats BTW.

Oh, I never saw those romans!! Too bad they don't sell molds of the command groups as well. Maybe in the future.

Some additional info on manufacturers (not custom):
I bought two newly reissued schneider molds (wehrmacht/SS marching 2x and SA marching 3x) but haven't got around casting any figures.
They are from a seller in germany who makes them.

http://www.zinn-blei-soldaten.de/

Very nice aren't they? And they are in metal. All figures are semi flats BTW.
Did they have pictures of their products?

No, just the antique catalog pics on the site. They do give a reasonable impression of the figures. The molds themselves have those wooden screw on handles on the side. I do have a book on german soldiers with schneider pics but I can't find it right now. If you're interested I'll put up some pics when I find the book.

No, just the antique catalog pics on the site. They do give a reasonable impression of the figures. The molds themselves have those wooden screw on handles on the side. I do have a book on german soldiers with schneider pics but I can't find it right now. If you're interested I'll put up some pics when I find the book.

That would be great. How do you pronounce your name. Wakeem or Yo-a-kim?

That would be great. How do you pronounce your name. Wakeem or Yo-a-kim?

Yo-a-kim. Pronounced like Kahn's henchman in the second Star Trek movie :).
I don't know of any other spoken reference to refer to.

I dug up the book for you and found a couple of hdl/ideal casts as well. Will take pics later today. I also happen to have a copied catalog of molds they have and I might be able to hook you up with one if you want. Not all are on the website.

Another manufacturer you didn't mention in post nr1 is 'nurnberger meisterzinn'. Aluminium molds for semi flat 7 year war grenadiers, guns and cavalry and napoleonic multipose sets. I own a lot of them from my childhood and they are great fun. I really should start casting again.

http://www.meisterzinn.de/index.php

Left to right WB figure, 3x Ideal, Meisterzinn kneeling. Flat, but detail is fine. With (semi)flats, more is demanded from ones painting skills.

The meisterzinn figure has a bended weapon, the knights sword and roman spear are broken. So look beyond those flaws.

Schneider figures. Not all are available.

Schneider newly cast and painted.

More Schneider.

COOOOOOl!:cool:I do have some of the MZ molds . I bought them in Regensburg . When I was there last December. I cast some recently. Actually came out well enough that I am looking to buy more in the future, though, they will be 54mm ACW poses that the guy in WA sells.

Joachim, Have you cast any of these figures yourself? Those are really great. I like the French and the Animal poses the best. Are those still available?

Oh, another question, If one has a mold with openings on top and bottom, one assumes there is some sort of way to stopper the mold so lead does not get all over the place? How does that type of mold work? I bought one and have no way of using it. I do not have the handles either.

The MZ figure is my first casted figure ever :cool: I did cast/painted a lot of MZ figures but I can't find them. I will start casting again. Looking into this stuff got me excited again about german semi flat toysoldier casting.
I own the multipose band mold as well as most singles without the loose heads. But only the 7yw figures, not the landsknechts or knights. I also have cavalry and both artillery pieces (again 7yw).
The rest od the figures are bought in a dutch toysoldier museum. I was thinking of getting the romans mold.

In the picture of the guy casting, the text says he's holding a piece of wood to the mold to prevent leakage. To be sure, I wrote to the dealer selling the molds just now. I also asked him about the availability of molds in the printed catalogue. I know some animals and frenchies (in the colored pic) are available. The african guys, trees and straw hut as well. There might be some Zulu War potential there.

The handles are most likely useless anyway, you should clamp the molds for safety/stability.

The MZ figure is my first casted figure ever :cool: I did cast/painted a lot of MZ figures but I can't find them. I will start casting again. Looking into this stuff got me excited again about german semi flat toysoldier casting.
I own the multipose band mold as well as most singles without the loose heads. But only the 7yw figures, not the landsknechts or knights. I also have cavalry and both artillery pieces (again 7yw).
The rest od the figures are bought in a dutch toysoldier museum. I was thinking of getting the romans mold.

In the picture of the guy casting, the text says he's holding a piece of wood to the mold to prevent leakage. To be sure, I wrote to the dealer selling the molds just now. I also asked him about the availability of molds in the printed catalogue. I know some animals and frenchies (in the colored pic) are available. The african guys, trees and straw hut as well. There might be some Zulu War potential there.

The handles are most likely useless anyway, you should clamp the molds for safety/stability.

I always use spring clamps even for the metal molds. I look forward to your casting adventures and hope that your results will be posted here. I was unsucessful in my ebay attempt for 24th foot. I will proabbly end up buying them retail. I will take a closer look at the animal molds.Will you be getting any?

Probably not any time soon, it largely depends on the WB ZW release schedule. I will cast some MZ since I allready have the molds. And I have to try those SA figures; gives me a good impresiion of those reissued Schneider molds (if they are worth the money).

Probably not any time soon, it largely depends on the WB ZW release schedule. I will cast some MZ since I allready have the molds. And I have to try those SA figures; gives me a good impresiion of those reissued Schneider molds (if they are worth the money).

Well let us see some of the MZ figures. I am working on a new Santa set, hope to have some pics soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back