More “Who are those guys?”—ID puzzle. (4 Viewers)

mbennett

Private
I was rummaging through some stuff I had not looked at for a few years, and I came across these medieval men-at-arms figures. They may have been my very first eBay purchase some fifteen or sixteen years ago. The weapons are missing, and so are the bases, but I still think they would look pretty cool assembled and painted.
I have always wondered who made them because I have never seen any figures like them, either on eBay or at any Toy Soldier show I have attended.

Can anyone identify these four figures, or know anything about them? Sorry about the quality of the photos.

Mike

DSCN5754.jpg
DSCN5755.jpg
DSCN5756.jpg
DSCN5757.jpg
DSCN5758.jpg

My first guess is that they're from Tradition, given the style of the sculpt and especially given the pegs to insert in the bases. I'd have to have a look at the Tradition site, to see if I'm right.

I'm trying to think of other kit makers who made medieval figures, and New Hope Designs comes to mind, but their figures didn't have pins to fit to their bases. Rose Miniatures (Russell Gammage) made medieval figures, too, I think. I'd have to check my catalogs at home tonight.

There are also Russian makers who have figures similar to these in their catalogs, but again, I don't think they have the same pegs on their feet, to attach to the bases.

We'll see what the rest of the gang can come up with.

Prost!
Brad

No one else? I thought someone else might have responded by now.

Prost!
Brad

If you are interested,I must have a couple of hundred Crusade era castings from all over the world.I'd do $7.50 per foot figure/15.00 per mounted.Call me @ 716-743-7903 ...Randy

Definitely not Tradition, most likely New Hope Design, possibly Rosedale. Trooper

I was thinking about these guys this week and was wondering if they could be from Alymer's Banners Forward Line. They have great detail in the sculpts like Banners Forward did but this is certainly only a guess as I have no info on them other than a gut feeling. I certainly hope we can sprt it out and I look forward to seeing them once they are restored.

Dave

Last edited:
I was thinking about these guys this week and was wondering if they could be from Alymer's Banners Forward Line. They have great detail in the sculpts like Banners Forward did but this is certainly only a guess as I have no info on them other than a gut feeling. I certainly hope we can sprt it out and I look forward to seeing them once they are restored.

Dave

Good idea, Dave! Were they available in kit form, and did they have pegs to fit into bases? Other Alymer figures were soldered or glued to thin bases. I'll have to take a look in O'Brien when I get home tonight.

Prost!
Brad

Mike,

They might be easier to identify once assembled.

I would have thought they were New Hope Designs but hear what Brad is saying about the pins.

There are some old catalogues on Mirofs site, including Tradition and Rose that might be worth looking through-

http://www.mirofsoft.com/nostalgia-old-catalog-pdf/

Scott

There is lots of stuff on that site. I looked through quite a bit of it but did not find anything to match. Still, it was certainly worth a peek, and I did find the sources for some of the other figures I have.

Thanks for the hint, Scott.

Mike

i think Russian- saw a very similar figure in a photo in TSC magazine- an article about archers etc-

i think Russian- saw a very similar figure in a photo in TSC magazine- an article about archers etc-

Hi,
These figures are from the Al Charles Crecy Range.
There were archers and mounted figures as well..
Ray K.

Hi,
These figures are from the Al Charles Crecy Range.
There were archers and mounted figures as well..
Ray K.

I think you nailed it, Ray! Garratt has the following article in his "World Encyclopedia", dating the figures to 1978:

"Charles, A., Walsall (1975- ). Maker of 54mm solids. His first published models were period caricatures for Phoenx. In 1977 he designed 54mm semi-flats, molded on one side only, with three figures on one footstand, for Mainly Military and in the same year began making solids of Nazis and refugees, medieval troops engaged in looting, and 80mm models of females at war (clothed, for a change). All these were for Greenwood and Ball; in 1978 for the same firm he began a fine series of knights and footmen at Crecy, issued in kit form." (Garratt, "World Encyclopedia of Model Soldiers", p. 29)​

Prost!
Brad

I think you nailed it, Ray! Garratt has the following article in his "World Encyclopedia", dating the figures to 1978:

"Charles, A., Walsall (1975- ). Maker of 54mm solids. His first published models were period caricatures for Phoenx. In 1977 he designed 54mm semi-flats, molded on one side only, with three figures on one footstand, for Mainly Military and in the same year began making solids of Nazis and refugees, medieval troops engaged in looting, and 80mm models of females at war (clothed, for a change). All these were for Greenwood and Ball; in 1978 for the same firm he began a fine series of knights and footmen at Crecy, issued in kit form." (Garratt, "World Encyclopedia of Model Soldiers", p. 29)​

Prost!
Brad

Yes Brad,
Al Charles also did a Tournament series which is very rare.
I am fortunate to have some of those figures as well as some of the Crecy range,
I also have the Crecy range catalogue.
Regards,
Ray.

Yes Brad,
Al Charles also did a Tournament series which is very rare.
I am fortunate to have some of those figures as well as some of the Crecy range,
I also have the Crecy range catalogue.
Regards,
Ray.

Ray,
Thanks for the detective work.
And now, I have two questions.
First, is the figure that Brad found on Ebay in your catalogue?
Second, would you be able to post pictures from the catalogue so we could see the other figures in this range?

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back