New Britains Acw - Larger Size? (1 Viewer)

JRK

Private
I just saw "Desperate Valor." The figures are 1/2 inch larger than previous Britains Civil War figures and are so big they look ridiculous next to the older figures I have. They can not mix together in a diorama. Does anyone know if this is an aberration or if Britains has changed their figure sizes? Thanks - JRK

Some of the earlier ACW sets were slightly larger than 1/32nd scale. For example the 00281 Fr Corby set, 17245 Hold at all costs, 17292 140th Penn Medal of Honor tribute and so forth were off-scale to the other sets. Look at the comparison between the "Clubs are Trumps" or "Fight'n Irish" relative to the "Hold at all 17245/17295" and the difference is there even at first glance. One of the reasons that prompted my sell-off of ERTL/Britains ACW sets was the lack of predictability regarding compatibility. Hopefully Richard Walker and co will stabilise things a bit but it seems that no matter how happy people claim to have been with many of the Ken Osen sculpts there was still quite a lot of variation in their execution. So the short answer is "when did they stop changing?" rather than "is this an abberation?"

The Britains figures over the past few years are somewhat inconsistant in size. For example most of the figures that are included with their artillery range (155 mm, 105 mm, 75 mm Pack etc) are K & C size. Many of their 'characters' such as Rommel etc are also 60 mm.

CannonFodder1971 said:
Some of the earlier ACW sets were slightly larger than 1/32nd scale. For example the 00281 Fr Corby set, 17245 Hold at all costs, 17292 140th Penn Medal of Honor tribute and so forth were off-scale to the other sets. Look at the comparison between the "Clubs are Trumps" or "Fight'n Irish" relative to the "Hold at all 17245/17295" and the difference is there even at first glance. One of the reasons that prompted my sell-off of ERTL/Britains ACW sets was the lack of predictability regarding compatibility. Hopefully Richard Walker and co will stabilise things a bit but it seems that no matter how happy people claim to have been with many of the Ken Osen sculpts there was still quite a lot of variation in their execution. So the short answer is "when did they stop changing?" rather than "is this an abberation?"
Thanks for the observation on the variations...but I would also like to point out that all of those sets mentioned were made by RC2... and after I left that company to work for another figure company. The ACW sculpts I have produced will all work together very well, from company to company as it is just the style I sculpt in. I would say that I think the newest work is better than the things I did even 2 or 3 years ago. The painting on the new W. Britain and ONWTC ACW sets is some of the best production painting I have seen...

:) Hello Ken! Larger is better! Hopefully, you will be doing the 60MM Size for the NEW WW2 Figures? That's what MOST Collector's need to see? Thankyou!

John,

I don't think that's true. I believe the majority, in spite of K&C's popularity, still collect 54mm. Also, I believe a company like Britains will stay true 54mm: it's what they have been doing for over a hundred years. And they would loose A LOT of customers. I don't think they would change size just because they want to attract some K&C collectors...

If most collecters want 60mm then why are the overwhelming majority of toy soldier companies producing 54mm - and they're still in business?

Well to be quite honest I dont have any soldiers larger than 54mm I think its really a matter of preference for each collector but will say I like the 54mm best. I heard a rumor that Britains might make some of their line in 60mm to try and eat into the K&C market place but this will not replace the standard 54mm.

By the way Thanks for the lead on the Dias I have to thank you a lot jrsteel if I can ever help you please ask.

Dave

No problem Dave. If you're ever looking for retired Britains, I'd try London Bridge. He has a lot of retired items in stock and he sells them for the original price. He doesn't try to gouge you.

Well Britain's is finally back ! I just received my first three sets of the new ACW figures. In my opinion they are the best the company has ever produced. I can't wait until the Union releases. Keep it Up !

Yes indeed, I recieved the same 3 sets and am pleased as punch! Splendid troops. Looking forward to the rest of the Rebs, but the Yankees are what I am really excited to get my paws on.They look fantastic.Frockcoats and double bagger knapsacks! Can't wait.By Summer I'll be foaming at the mouth to set up all the troops I've painted and collected. Happens every year, my fevered brain goes into ACW overdrive.
FUBAR:D

Thank you for the nice feedback guys. It looks like we will be out of these first few sets shortly - the strong response has been much appreciated. Thank you all for your support.

Gents,

How do the new Britains compare with the Conte ACW series, are they compatible? Just wondering as I'm probably going to buy the first three sets at the London show on the 25th.

Andy

They are very close if not the same size as Conte. I have them next to each other and I can't see any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back