New Hope Design Napoleonic figure- what uniform? (2 Viewers)

Hazebrouck

Sergeant
One for the Napoleonic experts.

Another New Hope Design figure I can't identify. I'm looking to identify the uniform.

This figure I believe to be 65mm (possibly 70mm base to top of hat).

I am lead to believe he is a Napoleonic cavalryman in walking out dress. I believe French.

The hat is bonnet de police?

He appears to have a whistle on a lanyard on his left shoulder.

Walking with attitude.:smile2:

Any ideas?

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_4435.jpg
    IMG_4435.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_4436.jpg
    IMG_4436.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_4437.jpg
    IMG_4437.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_4438.jpg
    IMG_4438.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 362
Scott,

it seems to me that you have a 2nd Chevau-Legers Lancer of Dutch Lancer, of Napoleon's Grande Armee.

My reason is the cut of the jacket, the fringed epaulette on his right shoulder and aiguillettes on the left shoulder.

He is in town dress uniform, and so not wearing riding trousers of his shapska hat, but wearing a police bonnet and carrying a cane.

His coat is read, with a blue front, cuffs collars and turn backs, with yellow epaulettes. Trousers could be white/linen.

n32.jpg

Uniforms from HISTOREX

d_lancer_1.jpg

One of my lancers on-campaign (Errol John Studios)

I hope that helps?

John

Not to argue with John I am sure he knows more than me in this field, but I think it may be something else. The cut of the jacket, though it does look like those of the lancers, may very well be that of a carabinier, chasseur a cheval, or even light infantryman. The epaulet style does not denote branch or regiment, and its position/type only show rank. There are exceptions to this, but usually only certain types of epaulets, like shoulder scales. He is wearing spurs, so that does suggest cavalry, but two things jump out at me: he is not wearing riding pants and his bonnet is not a lancer style. While the pants may be explained by him being off duty, he is wearing spurs, though that is just an odd contradiction. The hat, though it could be correct for some lancer regiments, would more likely have been something like this (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/06/37/5f/06375f9c3894ae610cbd18a8c1509a49.jpg).
I would guess chasseur a cheval, maybe dragoon.
Sandor :saute::

Sandor,

this is a line drawing, again from HISTOREX showing the uniform, for a Dutch Lancer of the Imperial Guard and note the coat, with the turn backs, buttons, aiguillette on left shoulder which is only worn by the Imperial Guard Cavalry.

682b.jpg

His bonnet would be red top, blue lower band with yellow piping.

John

One for the Napoleonic experts.

Another New Hope Design figure I can't identify. I'm looking to identify the uniform.

This figure I believe to be 65mm (possibly 70mm base to top of hat).

I am lead to believe he is a Napoleonic cavalryman in walking out dress. I believe French.

The hat is bonnet de police?

He appears to have a whistle on a lanyard on his left shoulder.

Walking with attitude.:smile2:

Any ideas?

Scott

Please check under the base
If it is written New Hope Design Men at Arms, it come directly from an Osprey Book "Men at Arms"

Thanks John and Sandor.

Looks like you have positively identified the figure for me.

Hope you don't mind some more questions.

Would it be correct to paint the pants red with the blue stripe? Reason I ask as the casting has the stripe down the edge. Would white linen pants have this?

Is the metal object at the end of the aiguillette a weight?

Scott

Please check under the base
If it is written New Hope Design Men at Arms, it come directly from an Osprey Book "Men at Arms"

It is marked Osprey Mirof. I will have a look around for a book. There is a title Napoleon's Red Lancers, however it was published in 2003, so an earlier title I expect.

Scott

Scott,

You Asked:

Would it be correct to paint the pants red with the blue stripe? Reason I ask as the casting has the stripe down the edge.

Yes, pants, with 2 blue stripes

Would white linen pants have this?

No

Is the metal object at the end of the aiguillette a weight?

Possibly, to keep it held into position.

I have checked all my Men At Arms Books, and I cannot see this figure, which is MOST unusual for a NHD figure.... but I'll keep investigation.

John

If I remember well, this one come from an Osprey
There was also a Hussard, reclining on a fence holding a small dog in his arms
The figurines coming from this one, were in 65mm . For the other publication, it was 54mm
Aiguilettes ( not a whistle) but a kind of wheight
aiguilette.jpg

The "hat" is called Bonnet de Police
even grenadier were wearing it,when on leave ( different color) see here for the grenadier
grenadier_planche_couleurs.jpg

here the bonnet is usualy the color of the jackett, lining of the facing color

Does this uniform look correct? I am at the tidying up stage and have to add some more buttons and details.

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_4508.jpg
    IMG_4508.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4511.jpg
    IMG_4511.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 116
Does this uniform look correct? I am at the tidying up stage and have to add some more buttons and details.

Scott

Yes,

he looks the part,(with a little help from your friends :))

so well done on this painting,

John

Nice finish, Scott!

He would go nicely with the Prins August figures of some troopers sitting around a table enjoying a drink. I can see him strutting past them with a look of disdain.

Prost!
Brad

Attachments

• IMG_4518.jpg
    IMG_4518.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4520.jpg
    IMG_4520.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4525.jpg
    IMG_4525.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 92
Scott,

thanks for the picture with the comparison of the height,

but I'd say that he is 54mm !!!

here is my pic of the same fifer, with a couple of other Light Infantry, Officer and Vivandiere ...

NHDlightinf.JPG

What do you think??

John

Scott,

What do you think??

I think you are right John. The figure looks larger until you place it against other 54mm figures. I painted a WW2 British Commando by New Hope that is similar. Possibly a different sculptor.

This figure is one of the nicest New Hope castings I have come across.

Anyway thanks for that image. I have that French fifer and Light Infantry officer coming up in my pile of figures needing refurbishment. Along with another French officer.

Looks like you have another Napoleonic convert on the forum:eek:

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_4529.jpg
    IMG_4529.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4530.jpg
    IMG_4530.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 108
Yeah, New Hope Design's "Men at Arms" figures are classic 54mm. I use them alongside Staddens, Tradition, Rose, Imrie-Risley and others.

Prost!
Brad

Thank you John and Brad.

Your help is appreciated.:eek:

For a 65mm figure it is on the small side ( I've placed him against another New Hope fife player), so he probably would look OK with the Prince august figures.

This kit I believe Brad-

http://shop.princeaugust.ie/cast-me...54mm-campsite-no1-cast-figurines-accessories/

Some final touch ups and some gloss this morning and suddenly the colours come out.

Scott

Yes Scott - love that moment, when the matte suddenly develops into a lovely gloss finish. Nice work. jb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back