New Hope Design uniform ID- Napoleonic stable dress? (1 Viewer)

Hazebrouck

Sergeant
Stuck on another New Hope ID.

I am restoring another figure that I cannot identify through the Dutkins catalogue or Mirof's catalogues.

It is from the Osprey Men at Arms series.

It appears to be a cavalry man in stable dress. His head wear is distinctive, however I cannot identify it.

I have seen an image of a French Dragoon in stable dress with a similar cap, the sides of which folded down over the ears.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_4768.jpg
    IMG_4768.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_4771.jpg
    IMG_4771.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_4772.jpg
    IMG_4772.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 160
I agree, that's an interesting cap, and I don't think I've ever seen it, either. I've only ever seen the "stocking cap", the conical-shaped cap worn with the long sleeve trailing or tucked into the band. If I can find anything in my references, I'll post it back. Most of my Napoleonic references are on the German states.

I'm meeting with some friends today, a couple of whom are Napoleonic fans, I'll ask them, too.

Prost!
Brad

We met today at Dennis Shorthouse's store, On Military Matters (Hopewell NJ), and I asked about that cap. We all agreed that we'd seen something like it, but no browsing in any of the books, prints and other documents turned up any images of it. There were some that were close, but dated much later, and were more like the round caps worn by the Germans or the Russians, without the same kind of flap as this cap has. Practically every image of cavalry in fatigue or stable order for the Napoleonic period showed troopers wearing the bonnet de police in the regimental colors.

We also checked through Dennis' stock on-hand of Osprey "Men at Arms" volumes, but he happened to be missing the particular volume on French Napoleonic dragoons (Nr 53, Dragoons and Lancers).

I'll keep looking, but I think it'll be tough, if I couldn't find anything in the stacks at OMM. Hopefully one of the other Napoleonic fans will be able to confirm it for us.

It was tough scoring otherwise, today, too. We went to Triple-A Hobbies, and out of the vast selection of paints, I couldn't find the specific ones I wanted.

Prost!
Brad

Thanks Brad,

Yes, a tough one.

Have even resorted to looking through the New Hope figures on E-bay trying to identify this one. If only NHD had engraved the bases like Hinchliffe.

This is the French Dragoon (Middle of the top row in green) print I found on the internet-

https://www.pinterest.com/marnics/napoleonic-french-dragoons/

It is not a perfect match, but close. I could probably paint him up in these colours anyway.

I don't think that he is British.

Will keep looking.

Those hobby shops sound interesting.

Regards,

Scott

I've seen a similar uniform in the OPREY book 'Napoleon's Hussars' but its a B&W image on page 29, in stable dress c1813, but the hat looks very similar.

Therfore you could paint him in any of the colourful 14 Hussar Regiments, and be correct.

John

I've seen a similar uniform in the OPREY book 'Napoleon's Hussars' but its a B&W image on pgw29, ins table dress, c 1813 but the hat looks very similar.

Therefore you could paint him in any of the colourful 14 Hussar Regiments, and be correct.

John

Oops, sorry about the double posting, I tried to edit, and it didn't seem to post back, but it must have !!

Anyway, further investigation has thrown up 2 more possibilities.

This time from the book 'Napoleon's Army 1790-1815' by Lucien Rousselot where he shows on page 134 a Cuirassier is stable dress wearing a pokalem hat c 1813 and on page Carabineer also in stable dress with pokalem c 1813.

They both wear while linen trousers, but the first has a dark blue jacket and hat with red piping, while the second has the sky blue coat and white hat with sky blue grenade and piping.

Therefore from all these sources, you can choose any of these line cavalry units and their many colourful regiments.

If you want any more details, just ask, but looking forward to seeing the finished trooper, in whatever colour scheme you choose,

John

This time from the book 'Napoleon's Army 1790-1815' by Lucien Rousselot where he shows on page 134 a Cuirassier is stable dress wearing a pokalem hat c 1813 and on page Carabineer also in stable dress with pokalem c 1813.

They both wear while linen trousers, but the first has a dark blue jacket and hat with red piping, while the second has the sky blue coat and white hat with sky blue grenade and piping.

Thanks John.

Now knowing that the hat is called a pokalem helps.

Would the Cuirassier look something like this? Dark blue on a buff jacket with dark blue piping.

This is a fusilier from a French re-enactment site (post 7)-

http://histoirevivante.forumculture.net/t15-le-barroux-1812-14-15-avril-2007

Scott

Attachments

• Fusilier 1.jpg
    Fusilier 1.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 88
  • fusilier 2.jpg
    fusilier 2.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 87

Thanks Mirof.

That is the image that I originally found.

Just working out if it is this type of pokalem cap or similar to the type John mentioned. It is slightly different at the front than the one shown in that image- although I don't think it would be noticeable when painted.

Scott

Thanks, Mirof! That's similar to one of the images I saw, too, but I wondered about the different style of the flap. I think between this and Obee's info with the name, I think we've got an ID. Searching now on "pokalem cap", I find a number of articles, including this blog post that mentions that the cap was introduced in reforms in 1812:

http://2nd95thrifles.myfastforum.org/archive/forage-cap__o_t__t_153.html

I also found an eBay auction for a pattern to make one. Apparently they were made from the material from worn-out coats. That's in keeping with the history of forage caps--making them from old material, a very frugal idea.

Prost!
Brad

pokale10.jpg

it seems that on the New Hopde Design figures, the flap protecting the ears are folded on the top, crossing, and the points pushed under the opposite side of the cap, thus flatening the cap

reconstitution of such a cap, note : very high

poka 2.jpg

Would the Cuirassier look something like this? Dark blue on a buff jacket with dark blue piping.

Scott

Scott found the image on-line...

bb98d976caca480eea22a08a5da5e0e5.jpg

John

it seems that on the New Hopde Design figures, the flap protecting the ears are folded on the top, crossing, and the points pushed under the opposite side of the cap, thus flatening the cap

reconstitution of such a cap, note : very high

Thanks Mirof- I see what you are saying.

Thanks John- I will go with that blue fatigue jacket and pokalem cap.

Scott

Finished the figure and made a little friend to keep him company.

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_4783.jpg
    IMG_4783.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_4786.jpg
    IMG_4786.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4788.jpg
    IMG_4788.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4790.jpg
    IMG_4790.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 112
Nice work Scott, but I think that a horse would be appropriate for the animal to be patted :) :)

Love the gloss finish,

Well Done,

John

Nice work Scott, but I think that a horse would be appropriate for the animal to be patted :) :)

Love the gloss finish,

Well Done,

John

French cavalry, so a mule is appropriate! ^&grin (light blue touch paper and stand well back)

Martin

It was the mule or a pig.:smile2:

Slowly running down the Tamiya farm animal set.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back