New James Opie Book on Britains Toy Soldiers (1 Viewer)

Arnhemjim

Corporal
Most people who collect vintage (1893 – 1966) W. Britains Ltd. toy soldiers are probably already aware of the fact that James Opie’s newest book has been published. The book; Britains Toy Soldiers – The History and Handbook 1893 – 2013, J. Opie, Pen & Sword Books Ltd, Barnsley South Yorkshire, 2016, ISBN 978 1 84884 444 5, is another magnificent tome (480 p., 495 colored photographs) of knowledge by the author. It includes an 18 page Table of Significant Hollowcast Sets. This is a definitive reference document for Britains collectors. Those who may be interested can obtain more information at; https://www.amazon.com/dp/184884444...&ascsubtag=b097b50d9ce9cf932311fc0a899e2cd4_S .

Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory

My review of Mr.Opie's book will be in the next issue of Old Toy Soldier magazine.
It is a definite "must have" for anyone interested in Britains. Great price on Amazon.

My copy arrived yesterday morning ! Lots of information, highly recommended if you are a Britains collector. Take me a few days to get through this book that is for sure.

My book has just lander 'down under, and I am also most impressed !!!

While not a huge Britains collector, I am very interested in anything about our hobby, and this is a great reference on this iconic British (well originally) company. I do like that it also contains details of the figures that have been issued this century, seeing most other reference book don't.

I found that Book Depository was much better value than Amazon, especially because I had a 10% discount voucher from them, so I landed it here for $US 33.00 including Postage!

John

Roger that, John! Even if you don't collect Britains, this book is an important reference for any toy soldier collector's library. When people say, "Wow, Brad really knows a lot about this maker or that", it's precisely because I buy books like this for my library. Opie's, and Norman Joplin's, books are essentials in my opinion.

Prost!
Brad

I once asked James as to why his volume was so difficult to get. His reply was that several cases of the book had gone missing. Now that would indeed be a treasure trove!

Bosun Al

I once asked James as to why his volume was so difficult to get. His reply was that several cases of the book had gone missing. Now that would indeed be a treasure trove!

Bosun Al

Quote from his website (which desperately needs updating as it doesn't even mention this new book)

Apparently some 2,000 copies went missing in the US, and if anyone knows where they are, I would like to know, as the publisher hadn't sold them, and therefore was unable to pay me any royalties for them !

ABE Books has a couple of dozen listings, starting at $32, although only 8 or 9 are US listings. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back