New Releases for December 2018 - Conquest of America (1 Viewer)

That bearded Aztec figure looks a bit odd to me. He reminds me more of an Ancient Greek in Aztec garb for some reason.

I passed on him. He doesn’t look like an Aztec to me.

I passed on him. He doesn’t look like an Aztec to me.

My initial thought too, Brad, but I kept my preorder anyway.
Now I’m happy since reading the various postings and seeing the Osprey color plates.
Hard to tell from the promotional picture, but I really hope that the “beard” is just painted on.

Konrad

My initial thought too, Brad, but I kept my preorder anyway.
Now I’m happy since reading the various postings and seeing the Osprey color plates.
Hard to tell from the promotional picture, but I really hope that the “beard” is just painted on.

Konrad

Konrad...my sentiments exactly...originally I wasn't crazy about this figure...but decided to order it anyway...not sure the picture does it justice...I can't tell if it's a beard or if it's war paint...so it's on the way...

His face is painted black, not a beard!
Here are some photos for you all to assess.
az-02_3_.jpg

az-02_4_.jpg

Julie

Putting the "beard" aside, I still think this one is a strange looking figure. He looks more Greek to me than Aztec. It looks out of place with the others. That doesn't mean it isn't accurate. Just different.

Putting the "beard" aside, I still think this one is a strange looking figure. He looks more Greek to me than Aztec. It looks out of place with the others. That doesn't mean it isn't accurate. Just different.

yes, he does look Greek now that you mention it... :)

How many have you met? 😂😂😂

As I have visited Mexico several times and was a Latin American History masters candidate, I’d wager I’ve more Native Mexicans than you have :wink2:

Agreed. As I can’t collect all the figures from this range, this is one I will gladly pass. I should have the newest Spanish figure by next week.

As I have visited Mexico several times and was a Latin American History masters candidate, I’d wager I’ve more Native Mexicans than you have :wink2:

They must have been bloody old when you met them then, Precious.

I'm still getting this figure, he'd be great for a vignette.

There are two things I would comment on.

The figure looks more European that Mexican. I learned from a great sculpter (Ron Highnotte) that many individuals create what they look like. A perfect example was Pat Bird of Series 77. He was a short stocky individual, and many of his figure are the same.

The second comment is the skin tone used, it needs a more brown tone, not much. Considering they are in a sunny environment a tan would be expected.

I appreciate John’s ideas, and he is creating some nice pieces. I do hope he keeps up.

Don

I too wish these figures had a darker skin tone. After all these are pre contact Mesoamericans, the same type of indigenous people we know as Native Americans.

Thanks Julie. A close-up pic cleared up a great many questions. We think he's a beautiful figure & an essential Aztec to collect.

So it's face paint. But does he have a moustache? Or an upper lip attachment that's also painted black? Not that it matters much - Aztecs could grow patchy facial hair though they considered it uncouth except for old, wise men (we've read - we are far from experts). Still, this guy would probably shave. Then paint his beard on & dress up in feathers:confused:;). Very exotic. Good for Jenkins yet again! Great range!
Keep collecting & Happy Holidays soon!,
Christmas is always a great time to open toy soldiers - even pleasant pagans!
Pat & Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back