New Releases for January 2024 - The Crusades (1 Viewer)

Julie

Administrator
Staff member
NEW RELEASES FOR JANUARY 2024
EL CID AND THE RECONQUISTA
THE SPANISH

The age in which El Cid lived has since been termed the “Reconquista”, or Christian reconquest of Spain from the Moors, and was one of the most colourful periods in military history.
The armies are spectacular and varied, ranging from the noble Christian Knights to the Muslim Andalusians, through to the religious zeal of the African invaders, the Almoravids and Almohads.
Although the period is often portrayed as a simple war of religion, it was in fact a great deal more complex, with Muslim commonly fighting Muslim, and Christian fighting Christians, with both sides using allies and mercenaries whenever it suited them.
This period, during the lifetime of El Cid 1040-1100AD saw the rise of heavy cavalry charges and other northern European influences, especially in the kingdoms of Aragon and Catalonia, which had the strongest links to France.

CID-23
THE CRUSADES,
EL CID AND THE RECONQUISTA,
SPANISH SPEARMEN.
(4 pcs)

CID-23N
THE CRUSADES,
EL CID AND THE RECONQUISTA,
4 SPANISH SPEARMEN.
(8 pcs)

THE GREAT SIEGE OF MALTA 1565

The Great Siege of Malta occurred in 1565 when the Ottoman Empire attempted to conquer the Island of Malta, then held by the Knights Hospitaller.
The siege lasted nearly four months, from 18[SUP]th[/SUP] May to 11[SUP]th[/SUP] September 1565.

malt-11_2_.jpg

The Knights Hospitaller had been headquartered in Malta since 1530, after being driven out of Rhodes, also by the Ottomans, in 1522, following the Siege of Rhodes.
The Ottomans first attempted to take Malta in 1551 but failed. In 1565, Suleiman The Magnificent, the Ottoman Sultan, made a second attempt to take Malta.
The Knights, who numbered around 500 together with approximately 6,000 footsoldiers, withstood the siege and repelled the invaders. This victory became one of the most celebrated events of Sixteenth Century Europe, to the point that Voltaire said,
“Nothing is better known than the Siege of Malta”.
It undoubtedly contributed to the eventual erosion of the European perception of Ottoman invincibility, although the Mediterranean continued to be contested between Christian coalitions and the Muslim Turks for many years.

MALT-11
THE CRUSADES,
THE GREAT SIEGE OF MALTA 1565,
KNIGHTS OF THE ORDER OF ST.JOHN OF JERUSALEM,
KNIGHT.
(2 pcs)

** PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL DEALER FOR FURTHER INFORMATION **

THE GREAT SIEGE OF MALTA 1565

The Great Siege of Malta occurred in 1565 when the Ottoman Empire attempted to conquer the Island of Malta, then held by the Knights Hospitaller.
The siege lasted nearly four months, from 18[SUP]th[/SUP] May to 11[SUP]th[/SUP] September 1565.

malt-11_2_.jpg

The Knights Hospitaller had been headquartered in Malta since 1530, after being driven out of Rhodes, also by the Ottomans, in 1522, following the Siege of Rhodes.
The Ottomans first attempted to take Malta in 1551 but failed. In 1565, Suleiman The Magnificent, the Ottoman Sultan, made a second attempt to take Malta.
The Knights, who numbered around 500 together with approximately 6,000 footsoldiers, withstood the siege and repelled the invaders. This victory became one of the most celebrated events of Sixteenth Century Europe, to the point that Voltaire said,
“Nothing is better known than the Siege of Malta”.
It undoubtedly contributed to the eventual erosion of the European perception of Ottoman invincibility, although the Mediterranean continued to be contested between Christian coalitions and the Muslim Turks for many years.

MALT-11
THE CRUSADES,
THE GREAT SIEGE OF MALTA 1565,
KNIGHTS OF THE ORDER OF ST.JOHN OF JERUSALEM,
KNIGHT.
(2 pcs)

** PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL DEALER FOR FURTHER INFORMATION **

There was a question about whether knightly (or knight in shining armor) like this would have been present at the Great Siege of Malta. In this paper https://www.academia.edu/23269704/M...?auto=download&email_work_card=download-paper

They discuss that noble knights would have had "field armor" which the above is an example. It was popularly produced in Milan and Germany (as well as other places but those most famously.)

Partial armor was coming into style and you can see it on some of John's figures, but knights would still have had this type of harness and used it at the siege.

During this period militias and early versions of professional armies such as the Tercios were replacing the feudal armies, but there would still have been plenty of knights like this trudging around.

(And yes, I am such a geek that I get notified about papers and other scholarly work on the Knights of St John!)

Thanks for the info but i am going to focus on the Conquistador style figures. Much more versatile,

Some partially destroyed walls and Ottoman siege artillery would be fantastic. But not sure the range would be popular enough for John to expand it in this way.

Some partially destroyed walls and Ottoman siege artillery would be fantastic. But not sure the range would be popular enough for John to expand it in this way.

I hope walls and siege equipment will follow and I hope you are not correct on the popularity of this range.

"Nothing is better known than the siege of Malta," said Voltaire in the 18th Century.
Let's hope John can still capitalize on this fascinating fight today.
I'm warming up to both types of defenders - "knights in armor" and "pike & shot."
Remember the Turks are coming.
And John had to finish Jamestown.
And scores of other ranges.
So it may be a wait.
Ayway, Best Collecting Wishes!
Paddy

"Nothing is better known than the siege of Malta," said Voltaire in the 18th Century.
Let's hope John can still capitalize on this fascinating fight today.
I'm warming up to both types of defenders - "knights in armor" and "pike & shot."
Remember the Turks are coming.
And John had to finish Jamestown.
And scores of other ranges.
So it may be a wait.
Ayway, Best Collecting Wishes!
Paddy

Hopefully the new defenders will not have grass on their bases. Most of the fighting and defending took place behind fixed fortifications. I will buy them either way.
Brian

I hope walls and siege equipment will follow and I hope you are not correct on the popularity of this range.
I would be in on Ottoman siege equipment and some destroyed walls. The Turks-had such a big and powerful empire that the Ottoman troops could be widely used. Same with the defenders. I have collected a few templer knights, Jamestown figures and Conquistadors to defend my Malta. So I think the figures will be popular as they are multifunctional

Users who are viewing this thread

Back