New to Plastics (1 Viewer)

cement shoes

Hello,

I just bought the Tamyia Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I. Its the first model kit I've attepted since I was a kid, and I have some questions I hope you guys can help me with.

-Is Tamiya a good name?, are there any better for quality?
-Are Tamiya acrylic paints the right choice? (this is what I bought)
-I bought a grey Tamiya primer, is this o.k?
-Should I prime all the pieces while they are attached to the mold, or will this cause problems with gluing?
-How can I get a good paint finish using a brush for a large area (wing span, etc.)

Are there any good books or sites that I can get tips on plastic modeling. Im intrested primarily in WW2 Aircraft

Thanks

Rick

Last edited:
Tamiya is the best for plastic models. Hasewaga and Dragon models are also good. It is best to prime model after assembly. parts that are hard to get to could be painted before assembly. (inside cockpits). Use liquid glue like Tenax 7 and tube glue for wheel struts or heavier parts. Any paint would have to be scraped off areas to be cemented.Large areas painted with brush should paint in one direction if possible. Spray cans or an air brush investment would be good if you plan to do more models.Good starting book is Kalmbach paperback by Paul Boyer titled "Finishing and Painting models. Squadron. com or Great Models .com are both reputable companies that handle most models and books. Tamiya paints are good and use their thinner. Leadmen

I agree with Leadmen that Tamiya is one of the best. I suggest you visit Hyperscale.com they have forum with many helpful people.

Thanks guys,

Ia acrylic not a water based paint. What would I need thinner for?
I am looking into an airbrush, looked on ebay last night. Any suggestions for an inexpensive starter kit with compressor?

Tamiya thinner works best for Tamiya paint and other acrylic paint.It thins paint better then water.I also use distilled water to thin paints. Painting with acrylics use damp brush- clean brush with thinner also. Some good deals can be had on airbrushes and compressors. Make sure you get one with a filter to catch humidity in hoses. Water spots can go on model if no water filter on compressor. I like the 2 part airbrushes that have air and paint control buttons. I had a internal brush but did not like it. Some people do. It is suspose to do air pressure and control together. I found them harder to clean. Model-Expo has some brushes and compressors on sale. Don't know how good they are. I got a reasonable price air brush by Badger-350 model? Had it for over 20 years. No problems and parts easy to get. Also have a Passche brush. Good also. Leadmen

ok- glad you got an airbrush. A little practice and you will get use to it. Tamiya paint has some ingredients in it that makes their thinner work better then water. Water does well and so does rubbing alcohol. If putting decals over flat paint it is better to apply gloss to area and after decal dries recoat with flat finish. Usually I thin paint to consistancy of milk. Leadmen

If I can find the correct decal, I use Archer Fine Transfers and use the waterless, rub-on method. They just seem to be of better quality than water applied.http://www.archertransfers.com/

I too use a Badger air brush with adjustable air and paint controls. I use the air compressor to clean my men too.

I also like Tamiya, Dragon is good too. I have used both Tamiya and Testers paints. I do not like oils or gloss.

My advice is to experiment with your painting and other modeling technics by using some of the really cheap models and if you make a mistake, throw them away. You can also use some poster board to experiment with air brushing. It is not the same finish as plastic, but, it does come close if you use the glossy stuff. My 2 cents.

Yes, use another model to practice on. I have this old halftrack that is painted in about 12 different colors and several techniques applied in various places.

Thanks for the tips guys. There is a hobby shop not far from me. $45 for 3 hr lessons on airbrushing, I might start there. Seems reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back