Nobody does ACW better... (1 Viewer)

HistoryfortheAges

Staff Sergeant
... you just have to see this youtube link to know why... :):):)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0kp4KD8BB0

The variety, dynamism and simply just well-thought out progression of this series by Britains deserves praise! No other manufacturer has done a better job of covering the American Civil War than Britains... and still at somewhat affordable prices for matte/metal...! :salute::

Probably right at the moment. Such quality and depth IMHO. FL's range is just starting though (their figures look excellent) and K&C's ACW figures look so so nice but their ACW range looks a bit stalled (why? not enough sales?).

Paulo

First Legion does a great job with their new Civil War figures but, at this stage in my collecting, I am very happy with Britains ACW figures and see no reason to change or start in a new direction with regards to this range. My ACW collection is comprised of 80% Britains and 20% Conte. I find that both of these two producers mix well together in the ACW era.

Just as K&C puts out a lot of WW2 releases, Britains does the same for ACW which leads me to believe that it is a very successful series for them!

Bravo Britains! :salute::

I agree that WB sets the standard for ACW. I also mix them with the older Conte series.
WB has great scenics and accessories as well.

Probably right at the moment. Such quality and depth IMHO. FL's range is just starting though (their figures look excellent).

Paulo

I agree with this. However, if you do want a comprehensive dio, Britains is the only way to go right now. Mike's wonderful dios are a testament to this :smile2:

Brad

Britains ACW figures are the only ACW figures I own, for all the reasons mentioned, especially the range available. -- Al

By the way, for ACW Glossies Trophy and Tedtoy cover a wide range and blend well in a diorama.
I also use GuardsCorp for dismounted cavalry.

I have said this many many times in the past . . . . For historical accuracy in uniforms, wearing of equipment, and period appearance W. Britian ACW figures are the best. I always recommend them and give them high marks, especially for the purposes of making large dymanic dioramas (as mentioned by Brad, above . . . thanks for the compliment :smile2:). With that said, I must also say that First Legion has made some very nicely sculpted and painted figures that are also worth collecting IMHO.
:) Mike

I suppose this doesn't need be said but Britains to ACW is kind of like K & C is to WW II; you really can't think about one without the other.

On the ACW glossy figure side of things, I have a small representation as well. My makers of choice here are Tedtoy and Tradition. They both mix well together. I don't have any Trophy figures or Guard Corps but, I can see all 4 of these makers mixing well together.

Yes, I agree that Britains has been doing a great job with their Zulu Wars range and I have collected their Rorke's Drift series exclusively in this range. Their Sudan Wars range is very well-produced too but, I won't be venturing into that one...

I agree with the points in regards to WB depicting the ACW. I also agree with Mike that FL is making a nice run at making nice ACW albeit at prices close to double that of WB's.There Confederate infantry is particularly outstanding. Over on the diodramas thread UK Reb just modified some FL dismounted Union Cavalry by re painting the trousers (eliminating the yellow stripes off the troops except for non-coms), reducing the number of figures wearing slouch hats, shaving off the regulation brass sabres, letters and numbers off the hats to reflect a more weathered and authentic look, cutting down on the number of troops depicted with pistols (used more by troops in a mounted action) that adulterated the authenticity of deployed dismounted cavalry and modified the boots at least slide away from the decidedly expensive private purchase high kneed boots that dominated every figure in the line gravitating the look with just shin high boots which is a better compensation considering that ankle high brogans were the standard issue. You never have to make those types of critical observations with WB figures. Richard and Ken get it right and that will be a focal point for FL going forward if they wish to be consistent, credible ACW players. They got it right with Rebel infantry and then had to wrestle with issues on Buford's cavalry starting with later war issue Spencer repeating carbines w/Blakeslee boxes depicted on the prototypes to the above mentioned details that were just a bit too contrived and basically non historically supported to justify the $55 price tag. To FL's credit there figures are shaded...the high quality paint jobs are for the most part what is driving the price upward. WB's figures are not shaded. But they are consistently high quality and historically spot on.Therefore in paying $20-$26 per dismounted figure vs $55 it is significant while mounted figures at $65 trump the $139 + that FL gets. It is a worthy comparison in the scheme of things.

WB has made a nice strategy shift on a couple of fronts. The recently released Pennsylvania Zouave line is much more comprehensive in terms of rollouts that are worthy of what collectors are looking for. In other words the collectors do not necessarily want just three or four figures to display or place in a diorama or diodrama depiction. The stakes are higher, the demand is greater for depth and quantity, more highly numbered various posed yet unit specific of consistent looking figures that make the overall depictions more plausible, more realistic, more enriching. FL for example did a 15 figure rollout for its 8th Illinois Cavalry and over 20 figures for there 55th Confederate North Carolina Infantry. There AWI British infantry redcoat line is most impressive: the essence of the sweet spot for what I believe makes this hobby so much fun. You want to purchase, gather and depict the figures to basically tell a story: to make the rollouts in the curio cabinet to be a conversation centerpiece of the den, basement or man cave.Why do you think Ken's Hudson and Allen spinoff is such an incredible amenity to the overall hobby? The scenery enhances the look of historically accurate figures. It is about the total package.

WB has circled back and gotten it right with ACW. For example there Union Infantry and then a splinter into the wildly popular and justifiably so Iron Brigade figures. They have take Union and Confederate artillery up a notch with more crews, unit specific guidons and lots of accessories to create six and four gun Union and Confederate battery's respectfully almost to fruition. Yet there is much more work to do. In the world of manufacturers wanting to be jack of all conflicts master of none the hobby is speaking out: You are now producing in an era of specialization: If you want to do the ACW then do it: Do it well, do it comprehensively and don't just emphasize one or two branches. You can only go so long neglecting the cavalry. We need more mounted troops for both Union and most importantly Confederate depictions, we need to get a gathering of figures to supplement that splendid dismounted 1st Virginia Cavalry trooper that was rolled out for the collectors club in 2011 and we need to get more unit specific Union and Confederate cavalry into both early and late war motifs. So as good as WB is they can still give us even more and candidily I think they are up to the task.

Well said, I assume you have an MBA in marketing!!!!!!!

I agree with the points in regards to WB depicting the ACW. I also agree with Mike that FL is making a nice run at making nice ACW albeit at prices close to double that of WB's.There Confederate infantry is particularly outstanding. Over on the diodramas thread UK Reb just modified some FL dismounted Union Cavalry by re painting the trousers (eliminating the yellow stripes off the troops except for non-coms), reducing the number of figures wearing slouch hats, shaving off the regulation brass sabres, letters and numbers off the hats to reflect a more weathered and authentic look, cutting down on the number of troops depicted with pistols (used more by troops in a mounted action) that adulterated the authenticity of deployed dismounted cavalry and modified the boots at least slide away from the decidedly expensive private purchase high kneed boots that dominated every figure in the line gravitating the look with just shin high boots which is a better compensation considering that ankle high brogans were the standard issue. You never have to make those types of critical observations with WB figures. Richard and Ken get it right and that will be a focal point for FL going forward if they wish to be consistent, credible ACW players. They got it right with Rebel infantry and then had to wrestle with issues on Buford's cavalry starting with later war issue Spencer repeating carbines w/Blakeslee boxes depicted on the prototypes to the above mentioned details that were just a bit too contrived and basically non historically supported to justify the $55 price tag. To FL's credit there figures are shaded...the high quality paint jobs are for the most part what is driving the price upward. WB's figures are not shaded. But they are consistently high quality and historically spot on.Therefore in paying $20-$26 per dismounted figure vs $55 it is significant while mounted figures at $65 trump the $139 + that FL gets. It is a worthy comparison in the scheme of things.

WB has made a nice strategy shift on a couple of fronts. The recently released Pennsylvania Zouave line is much more comprehensive in terms of rollouts that are worthy of what collectors are looking for. In other words the collectors do not necessarily want just three or four figures to display or place in a diorama or diodrama depiction. The stakes are higher, the demand is greater for depth and quantity, more highly numbered various posed yet unit specific of consistent looking figures that make the overall depictions more plausible, more realistic, more enriching. FL for example did a 15 figure rollout for its 8th Illinois Cavalry and over 20 figures for there 55th Confederate North Carolina Infantry. There AWI British infantry redcoat line is most impressive: the essence of the sweet spot for what I believe makes this hobby so much fun. You want to purchase, gather and depict the figures to basically tell a story: to make the rollouts in the curio cabinet to be a conversation centerpiece of the den, basement or man cave.Why do you think Ken's Hudson and Allen spinoff is such an incredible amenity to the overall hobby? The scenery enhances the look of historically accurate figures. It is about the total package.

WB has circled back and gotten it right with ACW. For example there Union Infantry and then a splinter into the wildly popular and justifiably so Iron Brigade figures. They have take Union and Confederate artillery up a notch with more crews, unit specific guidons and lots of accessories to create six and four gun Union and Confederate battery's respectfully almost to fruition. Yet there is much more work to do. In the world of manufacturers wanting to be jack of all conflicts master of none the hobby is speaking out: You are now producing in an era of specialization: If you want to do the ACW then do it: Do it well, do it comprehensively and don't just emphasize one or two branches. You can only go so long neglecting the cavalry. We need more mounted troops for both Union and most importantly Confederate depictions, we need to get a gathering of figures to supplement that splendid dismounted 1st Virginia Cavalry trooper that was rolled out for the collectors club in 2011 and we need to get more unit specific Union and Confederate cavalry into both early and late war motifs. So as good as WB is they can still give us even more and candidily I think they are up to the task.

On the ACW glossy figure side of things, I have a small representation as well. My makers of choice here are Tedtoy and Tradition. They both mix well together. I don't have any Trophy figures or Guard Corps but, I can see all 4 of these makers mixing well together.

Yes, I agree that Britains has been doing a great job with their Zulu Wars range and I have collected their Rorke's Drift series exclusively in this range. Their Sudan Wars range is very well-produced too but, I won't be venturing into that one...

Tedtoys are beautiful and personally I enjoy them more than Tradition (which are quite nice too but not as well painted IMHO and without as much variety).

Paulo

Jefman:

Many thanks for the kinds remarks and review of the ACW market. In 2012 we will be working hard to fill in some gaps, commemorate some obvious anniversaries in the ACW, and add a few surprises. Ken and I want to come back at cavalry in a bad way, but we also want to do it comprehensively. It is really tempting to "slide " in a couple cavalry here and there, but I am trying to stay obssesively focused on finishing what we have started and then being "the firstest with the mostest" in the words of NBF. So, what does all that mean, if we can clone Ken (who is virtually devoted 100% this next year to ACW) then lots of cavalry in 2012, if not then it might be toward the end of next year and early 2013....watch this space. My apologies for the wait, I want the troopers and sales as bad as you do, and it will be worth the wait, I promise you!

Thank you again for collecting, for taking an active interest in the hobby and for keeping after me!

Richard

Jefman:

Many thanks for the kinds remarks and review of the ACW market. In 2012 we will be working hard to fill in some gaps, commemorate some obvious anniversaries in the ACW, and add a few surprises. Ken and I want to come back at cavalry in a bad way, but we also want to do it comprehensively. It is really tempting to "slide " in a couple cavalry here and there, but I am trying to stay obssesively focused on finishing what we have started and then being "the firstest with the mostest" in the words of NBF. So, what does all that mean, if we can clone Ken (who is virtually devoted 100% this next year to ACW) then lots of cavalry in 2012, if not then it might be toward the end of next year and early 2013....watch this space. My apologies for the wait, I want the troopers and sales as bad as you do, and it will be worth the wait, I promise you!

Thank you again for collecting, for taking an active interest in the hobby and for keeping after me!

Richard

Well Jeff (Jefman), this info is certainly making me smile . . . what about you?
:) Mike

Richard/Mike: That's good news to learn that WB is going to make more ACW cavalry. It's not like other manufacturers have stepped in to manufacture this branch with any sustained conviction. Perhaps cavalry/mounted troops are not as popular as infantry and artillery. However,in my opinion, the look of mounted figurines in a numbered setting really is visually pleasing...down right exhilirating and helps tie in a lot of the many stories and lore behind the written accounts so well documented on the conflict. WB has in the distant past brought lots of cavalry to the market and I'm sure they guage demand to match their production intervals. Hopefully the next few years should be exciting for us afficianados of the horse soldier.

Hi there!
I just was catching up on some of the new postings and noticed this thread. Thanks for the positive feedback!

Richard and I are hard at work filling in gaps in all of the ranges and I have been very busy with ACW. There are at least 32 new ACW figures I could think of off the top of my head that haven't made the catalogs yet with plenty more coming.
You can all look forward to seeing important additions to the existing Artillery and Infantry and I will soon roll up my sleeves to revisit the other branches of service on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line too.
As always please keep the requests coming... we really do make lists!
DSCN9983-1.jpg

All the Best,
Ken

Just throwing in my two cents -- IMHO the WB ACW figures are the most accurate currently on the market. I've spent many years studying the war, visiting museums, reading diaries and letters from participants, etc., and the WB series gets so many details right.

Since Ken and Richard are making a list, here are some of my wishes:

1) Federal infantry in shell jackets, which were quite common in the Army of the Tennessee and the Army of the Cumberland.
2) More Confederate "command" figures (officers, color bearers, musicians) in static (that is, not charging) poses. The upcoming sergeant with the CSA 1st National colors is great.
3) More personalities from the Western theaters -- Sherman, Thomas, "Black Jack" Logan, Cleburne, Forrest, Hardee, etc.
4) The Orphan Brigade

Thanks!

As far as I am concerned, i will never collect ACW. But if you made a boat WITH interior, I could see myself getting that- maybe some add on sailors? Or civilian scenes, which could be used with other things, such as Durbar or even Nap.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back