Not HECO but maybe Tin Toys or possibly of German origin (1 Viewer)

Hi,
thank you very much for this detailed and interesting answer. Yes you are totally right with your historic assumptions on the history of those planes.
On many period photographs one gets easily confused about which engine was used on the plane. Anyway this and the HECO thread had led me to
join the ranks of the tin plate enthusiasts. I have been a follower of Heyde figures of Dresden for a very long time and I allways felt like adding figurines
- not replicas but addition to this fantastic range of figurines. The Baron left the contact details for the Heyde Archiv here at the forum, you got to register
but that page surely is fantastic.

So I started with tin-plate and snips to create my own WWI fighter plane. Had the brilliant idea to use the same plan for building three planes at the same time.
The idea is to get-one-through, easier said than done but tinplate is a fantastic material and great fun to work with. I constructed a bending tool and did bend the wings today - worked amost perfect. Oberursel engines are done so are the rudders and parts of the fuselage and landing gear. Hope to get progressing forward, but I started a civil (anno 1900) beach scene with boats and a lot of other stuff as well. When done I might open a thread on it.

Hope to see more of your work in due time
Take care
Wolfgang

I also look forward to seeing your work Wolfgang.

Much to much on my workbench but at least I managed to get on with my WW1 german fighter aircraft.
The old tinplaters will cry out loud when they see that I used filler and epoxy glue instead of solder.

i1.JPGi2.JPGi3.JPG

Hi Wolfgang

Nice work - and like you I too use superglue and filler - perhaps that's why my creations always seem to weigh a little more than the HECO

Keep it up and I hope to see the finished product.

Mark

My Final Fokker DVII - the DVII (Alb)

When the chance came up to cheaply purchase another Tin Toys Fokker DVII identical to that in post 2 of this thread, I decided to complete the full set by adding the missing Fokker DVII (Alb) to my collection. Thus Albatros having lost out to Fokker in the January 1918 fighter trials ended up tasked with building about 1,000 of the 1500 Fokker DVII fighters made designed by their hated rival approximately 500 at each of its factories marked (OAW) and (Alb) respectively. The main differences of the (Alb) versions was a round access panel below the cockpit and the dark green painting of the metal parts (where not overpainted)
DSCF0521.jpg DSCF0522.jpg

The plane is finished in the markings of Otto Creutzmann who flew a Fokker DVII with a ‘trident’ as a personal marking although his plane is usually depicted as red with a black trident. It is now believed that the planes of Jasta 43 were more likely to be dark green which would mean the trident was probably red to be visible against the green.

DSCF0523.jpg

All four of my Fokker DVIIs (l-r) Buchner'sDVII'F' (note the conical quick- release propeller hub) - Tin Toys, Hemer's early Fokker made DVII - HECO, Schlegel's DVII(OAW) HECO, and Creutzman's DVII(Alb) note the access panel.

Last edited:
Re: My Final Fokker DVII - the DVII (Alb)

When the chance came up to cheaply purchase another Tin Toys Fokker DVII identical to that in post 2 of this thread, I decided to complete the full set by adding the missing Fokker DVII (Alb) to my collection. Thus Albatros having lost out to Fokker in the January 1918 fighter trials ended up tasked with building about 1,000 of the 1500 Fokker DVII fighters made designed by their hated rival approximately 500 at each of its factories marked (OAW) and (Alb) respectively. The main differences of the (Alb) versions was a round access panel below the cockpit and the dark green painting of the metal parts (where not overpainted)
View attachment 289718 View attachment 289719

The plane is finished in the markings of Otto Creutzmann who flew a Fokker DVII with a ‘trident’ as a personal marking although his plane is usually depicted as red with a black trident. It is now believed that the planes of Jasta 43 were more likely to be dark green which would mean the trident was probably red to be visible against the green.

View attachment 289720

All four of my Fokker DVIIs (l-r) Buchner'sDVII'F' (note the conical quick- release propeller hub), Hemer's early Fokker made DVII, Schlegel's DVII(OAW), and Creutzman's DVII(Alb) note the access panel.
Beautiful quartet of D-VII's. -- Al

Hello,
very fine work once again. Wonderful display of Mr. Saxon and his machine(s). Paint job is very well done indeed.
Always willing to welcome more of your nice work here.
Have a great weekend
rgds
Wolfgang

Interesting info on Tin Toys possible origin

I accidently recently came across an advert for a wrongly name probable Tin Toys Pfalz DXII interestingly from South Africa and the vender appears to have two for sale. Does this mean the origin of the models is South Africa not Germany as I originally thought ?

The Pfalz DXII is one of their more accurate models but at 30cm (12 inches) long is too big for my collection but here are two pictures.

1.jpg 2.jpg
If anyone is interested the planes and more pictures are available from this site - info@johnnieblue.co.za

Users who are viewing this thread

Back