Novembers figure releases are here! (1 Viewer)

Gunn Miniatures

Command Sergeant Major
Dear All
Welcome to our latest newsletter the penultimate for 2017 I am sorry to say, where has the year gone?! Once again we have some exciting releases from our Ancients series plus some all new medieval figures. A new range of Ancients will be available next year as well as other new genres which we hope you will enjoy. As per normal we will start off in historical sequence which this month means the Greeks and the Persians.

SPA018 Theban warrior wearing Corinthian helmet and thrusting spear – The Thebans were allied with the Spartans and 400 of them under their General Demophilos chose to stay and face the numerically superior Persians at Thermopylea, they all perished to the last man. Theban warriors traditionally wore black dress to reflect the sobriety of their undertaking.
The A version comes with traditional Theban half-moon design on the shield.
The B version figure carries a shield with 2 horses on gold background.
The C version figure with shield depicting maiden begging forgiveness from Zeus.

SPA018 (2).jpg

SPA018 (3).jpg

SPA018 (4).jpg

SPA018 (5).jpg

SPA018 (1).jpg

Last edited:

SPA021; Theban soldier with Corinthian style helmet with shield raised above head and sword drawn.
A version with half-moon Theban design on shield
B version carries a shield with a Lion on red background
C version carries a shield with 3 headed Griffon on a red background

051.jpg

057.jpg

052.jpg

053.jpg

059.jpg

SPA022 A little unusual for our fighting Spartans as this one blocks the enemy with shield held in the right hand whilst preparing to thrust his sword with the left hand.
A version carries the Spartan shield with Lambda on gold background
B Zeus carries a shield design with maiden being ravished by a god.
C version carries a shield depicting a Mermaid with sailor.

060-800x533xffffff.jpg

064.jpg

065.jpg

067.jpg

069.jpg

The Athenians were also allied with the Spartans in their fight against the Persians and their naval forces were crucial at the battle of Salamis where they helped defeat a much larger Persian force. The Athenian Marines also fought on land much like the Persian Marines when the need arose.

SPA024A Athenian Marine in combat with traditional Marine shield depicting anchor on blue background:
SPA024B Athenian Marine with Minotaur head on shield.
SPA024C Athenian Marine with Medusa head on shield.

045.jpg

038.jpg

048.jpg

041.jpg

SPA025 Kneeling Spartan wearing Corinthian helmet with Red Lambda on gold background. Great for a front rank shield wall kneeling figure or just waiting to go into action.
The B version carries a shield with Boar on red background
The C version carries a shield with a Lion on red background

All the above are available now and are priced at $55/£45 with a limited edition of 100 pieces available for all variants.

071.jpg

076.jpg

072.jpg

077.jpg

079.jpg

XE011; Xerxes the Great was one of the most significant Persian rulers of his time, born to Darius I and Atossa. The Greeks and Persians had been at war many times and whilst Darius was preparing for another war against Greece, a revolt spurred in Egypt in 486 BC due to heavy taxes and the deportation of craftsmen to build the royal palace at Susa. Darius could not lead the campaign due to his failing health and died in October 486 BC at the age of 64. Xerxes was crowned following his father’s death when he was 36 years old. From 483 BC Xerxes prepared an expedition to conquer Greece for the final time, the Xerxes Canal was dug through the isthmus of the peninsula of Mount Athos, provisions were stored in the stations on the road through Thrace and two pontoon bridges later known as Xerxes' Pontoon Bridges were built across the Hellespont. Soldiers of many nationalities served in the army, they came from from all over his multi-ethnic massive Eurasian-sized empire and beyond, including the Assyrians, Phoenicians, Babylonians, Egyptians, Jews, Macedonians, European Thracians, Greeks, Ionians, Aegean islanders, Greeks from Pontus, Colchians, and many more. Xerxes set out in the spring of 480 BC from Sardis with a fleet and army which Herodotus estimated was roughly one million strong along with 10,000 elite warriors named the Persian Immortals. More recent estimates place the Persian force at around 60,000 combatants but we will never know for sure.

At the Battle of Thermopylae, a small force of Greek warriors led by King Leonidas of Sparta resisted the much larger Persian forces, but were ultimately defeated as most of you will know from your school history lessons or from Hollywood offerings. Later at the Battle of Salamis (September, 480 BC) the Persians were defeated by the Greek fleet, after which Xerxes set up a winter camp in Thessaly. According to Herodotus, fearing that the Greeks might attack the bridges across the Hellespont and trap his army in Europe, Xerxes decided to retreat back to Asia, taking the greater part of the army with him. Another cause of the retreat might have been continued unrest in Babylon, which being a key province of the empire required the king's personal attention. He left behind a contingent in Greece to finish the campaign under Mardonius. This force was defeated the following year at Plataea by the combined forces of the Greek city states, ending the Persian offensive in Greece for good. Our depiction of Xerxes shows him in magnificent Persian regalia addressing his men with the traditional Persian symbol of encouragement, a severed Greek head! This is a limited edition of 150 pieces worldwide and is priced at $65/£55 per figure, which we know is more than we normally charge but if you look at the detail you will see why and you only need 1 of these! We are hoping for some Immortals next month who will look great being addressed by Xerxes just before they do battle with the Greeks.

086v2.jpg

087v2.jpg

088v2.jpg

089v2.jpg

Moving onto the Romans we have a stunning new figure which depicts a legionnaire charging in scale armour ROM072. Probably one of our nicest Roman figures to date we have 3 versions on offer; Red shield unlimited so long as demand warrants, with the 9th and 30th Legion shield variants limited to 100 pieces. Priced at $55/£45 and available now.

001.jpg

002.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

014.jpg

After a lengthy development period we are proud to release our first medieval figures from the 3rd Crusade, the first are 3 Kings (just in time for Christmas) and are as follows:

MED001 Richard I (8 September 1157 – 6 April 1199) was King of England from 6 July 1189 until his death 10 years later. He also ruled as Duke of Normandy, Aquitaine and Gascony, was Lord of Cyprus, Count of Poitiers, Anjou, Maine, and Nantes, and was overlord of Brittany at various times during the same period. He was the third of five sons of King Henry II of England and Duchess Eleanor of Aquitaine. He was known as Richard Cœur de Lion or Richard the Lionheart because of his reputation as a great military leader and warrior. By the age of 16, Richard had taken command of his own army, putting down rebellions in Poitou against his father. Richard was a central Christian commander during the Third Crusade, leading the campaign after the departure of Philip II of France and scoring considerable victories against his Muslim counterpart Saladin, although he did not retake Jerusalem from Saladin. Richard spoke both French and Occitan. He was born in England, where he spent his childhood before becoming king, however, he lived most of his adult life in the Duchy of Aquitaine, in the southwest of France. Following his accession, he spent very little time, perhaps as little as six months, in England. Most of his life as king was spent on Crusade, in captivity, or actively defending his lands in France. Rather than regarding his kingdom as a responsibility requiring his presence as ruler, he has been perceived as preferring to use it merely as a source of revenue to support his armies. Nevertheless Richard was seen as a pious hero by his subjects. He remains one of the few kings of England remembered by his epithet, rather than regnal number, and is an enduring iconic figure both in England and in France.

041.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

Last edited:

MED002 Philip II, known as Philip Augustus (21 August 1165 – 14 July 1223), was King of France from 1180 to 1223, a member of the House of Capet. Philip's predecessors had been known as kings of the Franks, but from 1190 onward, Philip became the first French monarch to style himself "King of France." The son of King Louis VII and his third wife, Adèle of Champagne, he was originally nicknamed Dieudonné "God-given" because he was the first son of Louis VII, born late in his father's life. Philip was given the nickname "Augustus" by the chronicler Rigord for having extended the Crown lands of France so remarkably
Philip travelled to the Holy Land to participate in the Third Crusade of 1189–1192 with King Richard I of England and Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa. His army left Vézelay on 1 July 1190. At first, the French and English crusaders travelled together, but the armies split at Lyon, after Richard decided to go by sea, whereas Philip took the overland route through the Alps to Genoa. The French and English armies were reunited in Messina, where they wintered together. On 30 March 1191, the French set sail for the Holy Land and Philip arrived on 20 May. He then marched to Acre, which was already under siege by a lesser contingent of crusaders, and started to construct siege equipment before Richard arrived on 8 June. By the time Acre surrendered on 12 July, Philip was severely ill with dysentery, which reduced his zeal noticeably. Ties with Richard were further strained after the latter acted in a haughty manner once Acre fell to the crusaders. Philip decided to leave for France shortly afterwards to secure his kingdom following the death of Philip Count of Flanders. This decision did not endear him to Richard and the two went to war upon Richards release from captivity after he had been captured and imprisoned returning from the 3rd crusade, by Leopold V Duke of Austria.

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

037.jpg

MED003; Frederick I (1122 – 10 June 1190), also known as Frederick Barbarossa, was the Holy Roman Emperor from 1155 until his death. He was elected King of Germany at Frankfurt on 4 March 1152 and crowned in Aachen on 9 March 1152. He became King of Italy in 1155 and was crowned Roman Emperor by Pope Adrian IV on 18 June 1155. Two years later, the term sacrum ("holy") first appeared in a document in connection with his Empire. He was later formally crowned King of Burgundy, at Arles on 30 June 1178. He was named Barbarossa by the northern Italian cities which he attempted to rule: Barbarossa means "red beard" in Italian; in German he was known as Kaiser Rotbart, which has the same meaning. Historians consider him among the Holy Roman Empire's greatest medieval emperors. He combined qualities that made him appear almost superhuman to his contemporaries: his longevity, his ambition, his extraordinary skills at organization, his battlefield acumen and his political perspicuity. Among his contributions to Central European society and culture include the reestablishment of the Corpus Juris Civilis, or the Roman rule of law, which counterbalanced the papal power that dominated the German states since the conclusion of the Investiture Controversy. Frederick died in 1190 in Asia Minor while leading an army on the Third Crusade in conjunction with Richard 1 and Philippe of France above. Our vignette depicts the 3 heads of state prior to the 3rd crusade perhaps reviewing their troops as they march past, or possibly discussing the campaign ahead.

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

036.jpg

All the above medieval figures are priced at $55/£45 and limited to 150 in number worldwide. We will be releasing some foot soldiers later on to accompany these figures.

That’s all for this month, we will hopefully have a small release of more figures early December plus some aircraft.

All the above figures will be on display at the London show and on our website in the very near future.
Best wishes The Team@Gunn

the Spartans...the Athenian Marines...the Theban soldiers...these are all fantastic...great job!

but............my Greeks are starting to far outnumber my Persians...

as there were once believed a million Persians vs a few thousand Greeks...

I'm sure hoping you guys are starting to develop a ton of Persians pretty soon...

my battlefield is getting pretty disproportionate with way more Greeks than Persians...

I'm gonna start getting selective on buying Greeks...until I can get some more Persians...

please tell me many more Persians are on the way?........^&grin

the Spartans...the Athenian Marines...the Theban soldiers...these are all fantastic...great job!

but............my Greeks are starting to far outnumber my Persians...

as there were once believed a million Persians vs a few thousand Greeks...

I'm sure hoping you guys are starting to develop a ton of Persians pretty soon...

my battlefield is getting pretty disproportionate with way more Greeks than Persians...

I'm gonna start getting selective on buying Greeks...until I can get some more Persians...

please tell me many more Persians are on the way?........^&grin

Not quite a million Persians on the way Mike but plenty of Immortals soon I hope!

Vicki...

when ordering...
the Kneeling Spartan wearing Corinthian helmet with Red Lambda...

is it referred to as SPA025 or SPA025A?

Think it will be the Roman for me, plus the Spartans with Lambda shield, I like the other shields,maiden being ravished by a god and shield depicting a Mermaid with sailor] but started with the Lambda shields, like the small group I have of 15 Spartans with Lambda shields, not bothering with the enemy as they make a good group on their own. Would be interested to know the difference between the shields and when and where they were used?

Like the Medieval figures, but a little to 'posed' for me. They do look excellent.

Are we finished for November releases?

i hope there wil come some american revolution figures in the future.any info or they wil come?best regards ronald.

Love these, especially the kneeling Spartan and the Thespians.

Please note XE011 Xerxes should be XE010 - sorry it was a long day yesterday!

Last edited:
Adding a couple more Greeks this month. Looking forward to more Romans next month hopefully !

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back