Odds and Ends (1 Viewer)

Hi Luiz,

Ask away anytime. If I can help, I'll be happy to do so.

Here's another book that I have been reading. Although not a foreign book, I put it on this thread because it covers the archaeological aspects of research of a foreign civilisation. I got this because it contains a lot of detailed line drawings made by the author based on the bas-reliefs found at Angkor Wat and other sites. These were carefully decoded from archived photos and redrawn here for clarity. The book shows detailed costumes and armaments as used by the Cambodians and their contemporaries. If you have been to Angkor Wat, you would have been drawn to the numerous bas-reliefs and also would have been flustered by what they all mean. This book brilliantly covers the military aspects of that.

In summary, the Cambodian (Khmers) army was composed of infantry, cavalry, chariots and elephants. Quite a rich assemblage.

Rgds Victor

mj.jpgmj2.jpgmj3.jpgmj4.jpg

About to start on this book now. A detailed coverage of Anglo Saxon weapons and warfare by Richard Underwood, Tempus Pub,1999. Has numerous line drawings but I've only added the colour photos here.

un.jpgun2.jpgun3.jpgun4.jpg

Nice book ! The herringbone pattern on the sword is an interesting feature, different method of course , but reminds me of the hamon on a samurai sword.

Interesting comparison.
The herringbone design on this blade was merely etched decoration. In fact, etching would weaken the blade. The hamon was a result of beating, folding and polishing over and over another stronger alloy to make the edge over the blade backbone. It had a practical purpose. That's how I see it.

Rgds Victor

And I couldn't resist this book at Foyles.

Excellent coverage on decorated Roman armour. All pics are in full colour and there are magnificent colour plates! Any Roman fiend should get a copy!

re.jpgre2.jpgre3.jpgre4.jpg

Interesting comparison.
The herringbone design on this blade was merely etched decoration. In fact, etching would weaken the blade. The hamon was a result of beating, folding and polishing over and over another stronger alloy to make the edge over the blade backbone. It had a practical purpose. That's how I see it.

Rgds Victor

As I read into the Anglo Saxon book, there is a description on how sword blades are forged from small pieces of iron ore, flattened, stacked and twisted to get rid of the slag weakness. This creates a surface herringbone fine structure. Hence my earlier comment on it being merely etched decoration is wrong.
See this page below and diagram.

qwe.jpg

Just reading this great book by Yves Martin. He is a well-known contributor to Napoleonic lore and images on various forums. Here, he deals with the updated research on the French Army in Egypt with considerable verve. There are very many coloured images in this book including some exotic ones on the dromedary corps.

aq.jpgaq2.jpg

BTW, I've never seen camel necks bend at such sharp angles in all the photos on-line.

You remember the earlier Bourbon book 1789-1815 which I got cheap? The book quality was excellent so I decided to splurge real lira to buy the rest of the books. This one covers the Bourbon army 1830-1861. A huge 2-tome set. Part 1 is just text and part 2 (this one) contains illustrations with captions. The selection gives just a taste of what's inside. Mixture of real artefacts, line drawings and colour illustrations. What a feast!

bb.jpgbb2.jpgbb3.jpgbb4.jpg

Another Italian book on the Tuscany Militia which surveys the uniform changes over a 60 year period. Really nice mix of reconstructed paintings from period drawings. These books give info as close to the primary sources as possible. It makes a nice change from the osprey books.

qw.jpgqw2.jpgqw3.jpgqw4.jpg

Just reading this great book by Yves Martin. He is a well-known contributor to Napoleonic lore and images on various forums. Here, he deals with the updated research on the French Army in Egypt with considerable verve. There are very many coloured images in this book including some exotic ones on the dromedary corps.

View attachment 231323View attachment 231324

Victor,

thanks for showing me this book, I already had it on order, and now it's arrived, I am very impressed.

I have recently used the info for the painting of this figure, an EK casting of a bugler of the Dromedary Corps (on the left)

drom.jpg

but I also saw the original uniform in Paris last year at Les Invalides.

bugler drom.jpg

John

Hi John,

Great book, wasn't it? Really nice EK figure you've got there and the dromedary lancer as well. I remembered the bugler mannequin in the museum too. They just don't make uniforms like that anymore! I'm getting tempted to buy more EK figures (great prices!) but trying to hold off.

Meanwhile, I am planning a kettledrummer based on the Tuscany book. There was a grand duchy of Tuscany and my reconstructed figure will probably be unique as it was an obscure costume.

Rgds Vic

Here is a followup book. Lucca province was part of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany. Notice the very strong Napoleonic influence on the cut of the uniforms. Lots of detailed unit info.

aa3.jpgaa2.jpgaa1.jpgac.jpg

I got this book which is mostly a reproduction of some very rare drawings of the Spanish army uniforms. It is well laid out, with sensible coverage on the different arms. I do like these sorts of books as they give us a chance to glimpse at contemporary illustrations of the time, showing up finicky details here and there, amplifying or contradicting other uniform sources.

g.jpgg2.jpgg3.jpgg4.jpg

Here is an excellent book on Tudor fashion. Packed full of colours and well-written, it gives a fascinating insight into the nuances of Tudor dressing, conspicuous consumption, projection of courtly images, power play, that codpiece was for show...etc. Great info for building figures from the ground up.

aaa.jpgaaa1.jpg

I got this magnificent tome on Qing Dynasty Empresses, a subject never quite covered before. 5 of these women are covered here, including the Dowager CiXi. Definitely a niche subject but the colour illustrations are just too good to forego for me.

em.jpgem2.jpgem3.jpg

I get the occasional Ancient Warfare mag (lovely magazine) on the newsstand. The articles are very detailed and include great illustrations. Many inspirational for modelling soldiers.

Here's one which I rather like about a Thracian prince. Just have to search around for a suitable horse and I'm off...

aw.jpg

I've just received this oversized and magnificent book on the pre-Napoleonic Dutch army. Their uniforms not being well known in the English sources, this book reprints two very copious documents on this under-explored topic.

aw2.jpgaw3.jpgaw4.jpg

I've obtained a copy of this nicely illustrated book on Byzantine costumes. Numerous colour plates and a nice text on medieval costumes of this unusual period.

aa3.jpgaa4.jpgaa5.jpg

I got hold of this great looking book on Hapsburg court costumes. Nice hard cover and with many illustrations.

ax.jpgax2.jpgax3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back