Old War photos found on a Brownie Camera (1 Viewer)

Those photos are fantastic. Thank you so much for posting. It is rare to see action war photographs as not many people took photos while things were blowing up or getting shot at. Are these they orginal prints? Negatives?

Keep it silly

I hate to be a skeptic, but I don't believe these pictures are from film found in a Kodak Brownie hidden away in a footlocker and only recently found.

For one thing, as an owner of a Kodak Brownie, I can tell you that even the newer roll film will deteriorate in a short time, especially after it's been exposed. I cannot believe that these crisp images come from film developed after it sat for more than a year. I know, because I've had film that I left in my camera, Kodak film, that I had developed after over a year. The quality of the images was relatively poor; the pictures had a sort of faded look.

For a second, several of those pictures are already well-known pictures from other, documented sources. The picture taken from 1010 Dock, I believe it was, of the Oglala capsized at her mooring astern of the cruiser Helena is in the US Navy's catalog, and was printed in Walter Lord's Day of Infamy first published in 1957. Same goes for the picture of the Shaw blowing up (see post 11)-she was in a floating drydock during the attack, and one of her magazines exploded. Lord recounted how one of her 5-inch shells landed on Ford Island after the explosion.

Those photos may actually have appeared in Life in the months after the attack.

This in no way detracts from the bravery of the men (and women) who lived through the attack, but I'm afraid the claim about the source is not valid.

Prost!
Brad

Last edited:
It is a shame people have nothing better to do with their time. Why not just post up the photos without making an elaborate song and dance about the origins. Are people really that desperate for bragging rights, so sad :(

Even though the story is a hoax, I still think they are pretty sweet photos.

Interesting to me is that it says...Thought you might find these photos very interesting; what quality from 1941. Pearl Harbor photos found in an old Box Brownie stored in a foot locker.

THESE PHOTOS ARE FROM A SAILOR WHO WAS ON THE USS QUAPAW ATF-11O.

I THINK THEY'RE SPECTACULAR!

PEARL HARBOR

December 7th, 1941

It doesn't really mean he was on the USS QUAPAW at that time...to me it could mean he was at a time in his career on the USS QUAPAW. I have been to many Estate Sales where items are found and family members say things like...My father was on the USS QAUPAW and this is his camera we found in his footlocker.

I need more evidence:D

It is a shame people have nothing better to do with their time. Why not just post up the photos without making an elaborate song and dance about the origins. Are people really that desperate for bragging rights, so sad :(

I don't think you mean to imply that marketymaker posted the photos and made up the story about their origins, do you? I think it's rather an anecdote that would have been better run through Scopes first, or HoaxSlayer (as fmethorst did).

And sorry, marketymaker, I'm still skeptical that all of those pictures come from the same source. It wouldn't seem possible for the same camera to have taken all of those pictures, from widely separated vantage points around the harbor, and at different times during the attack. Some of them may have come from that sailor, but I don't think all of them did.

In any case, it's a Streit um des Kaisers Bart, German for "much ado about nothing", the origin doesn't really matter, as I said before.

Prosit!
Brad

I don't think you mean to imply that marketymaker posted the photos and made up the story about their origins, do you? I think it's rather an anecdote that would have been better run through Scopes first, or HoaxSlayer (as fmethorst did).

And sorry, marketymaker, I'm still skeptical that all of those pictures come from the same source. It wouldn't seem possible for the same camera to have taken all of those pictures, from widely separated vantage points around the harbor, and at different times during the attack. Some of them may have come from that sailor, but I don't think all of them did.

In any case, it's a Streit um des Kaisers Bart, German for "much ado about nothing", the origin doesn't really matter, as I said before.

Prosit!
Brad

No not at all. I was referring to originator of the story.

Interesting to see so many people just standing around in those photos. Those fires could have burned for days after the attacks - so some of the photos may have been taken days after the attack. I remember being in DC on Sept. 11 and the fire at the Pentagon burned for a day or two afterward. There would have been a great deal more fuel on those ships and tankers.

The quality of the photos is far too good to have been taken wtirh a Brownie. The film wouild have degraded over the years, weroding the quality even more. The Quapaw hadn't even been launched by then . . .

Conclusion . . . it's a hoax!

Al

As Fmethorst said - the photos look real, but they could have come from several sources. Some of those shots are too good for a Brownie even if developed in 1942.

Terry

The photos are real, but it's the story that isn't. The photos are almost all very well-known pictures, published elsewhere and often, beginning in the immediate aftermath of the attack and our entry into the war.

We're beating a dead horse at this point.

Prost!
Brad

In addition to everything else that has been said about them the color toning (some are quite sepia) of the pictures varies from print to print pointing to different development batches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back