On The Streets of Ancient Rome (1 Viewer)

King & Country

1st Lieutenant
Hi Guys,
As some of you may know K&C has been working with our friends in Australia, ‘LAST POST’, to develop this new series ‘Streets of Ancient Rome’.
Sven and Frank of ‘LAST POST’ produce the buildings and K&C design and produce the figures…
At the same time LP have inspired me to produce a building or two that we can use in some of our own promotional material to show off our figures. Here’s the latest one, hope you like it and… Thanks again to ‘Last Post’ for the inspiration and cooperation. If you look closely you will also find a preview of a few upcoming figures.
All the best and enjoy!

Andy

TF1.jpg

TF2.jpg

Always great to see something upcoming and to think about. Nice setup Andy. Robin.

Yes a great looking scene setter of a building, well done with the modelling of this especially the balconies Andy !:salute::

Apart from the Lictors, a set of four I'm guessing, I see five unreleased figures, including the carpentry duo. As you will have seen Andy I have been using LOJ figures to plump my little scenes out and a re-release of some of these but repainted for Rome, might be a good way of quickly fleshing out the streets of Rome such as the Shoemaker we've both used and the Carpenter set would be a great addition, though without the Arab headdress for the boy. A Money changer and customer would be a good addition also to both ranges.
Also some home life figures across the social spectrum would be great.

Yes a great looking scene setter of a building, well done with the modelling of this especially the balconies Andy !:salute::

Apart from the Lictors, a set of four I'm guessing, I see five unreleased figures, including the carpentry duo. As you will have seen Andy I have been using LOJ figures to plump my little scenes out and a re-release of some of these but repainted for Rome, might be a good way of quickly fleshing out the streets of Rome such as the Shoemaker we've both used and the Carpenter set would be a great addition, though without the Arab headdress for the boy. A Money changer and customer would be a good addition also to both ranges.
Also some home life figures across the social spectrum would be great.

Such as....

DSCF1516.JPG

And you couldn't go wrong with a flip through Ron Embelton's, who I know you to be a fan of, "Hadrians Wall in the time of the Romans," book of illustrations for inspiration, though I suspect you'll have already done that !

And you couldn't go wrong with a flip through Ron Embelton's, who I know you to be a fan of, "Hadrians Wall in the time of the Romans," book of illustrations for inspiration, though I suspect you'll have already done that !

Hi Steve,
Your assumption is 100% correct!
I have been a huge fan of the late, great Ron Embleton’s illustrations ever since I was a schoolboy back in the day before yesterday…My brother Gordon and myself used to devour a fantastic British children’s comic called ‘Look and Learn’ which was where we discovered Ron’s amazing work especially on historical subjects.

A few years ago I came upon a gallery in London that sells the original artwork of many of the artists that produced some of the fine works Gordon and me most enjoyed. Among the artists was Ron Embleton, sometimes he also signed his work, ‘R.S.Embleton’ and I was able to purchase several fine examples.

By the by, that Roman book of Ron’s is in my ‘K&C library’ and has been an great source of inspiration for ‘Streets of Ancient Rome’…as you will discover in the coming months.

All the best and happy collecting!
Andy.

Hi Steve,
Your assumption is 100% correct!
I have been a huge fan of the late, great Ron Embleton’s illustrations ever since I was a schoolboy back in the day before yesterday…My brother Gordon and myself used to devour a fantastic British children’s comic called ‘Look and Learn’ which was where we discovered Ron’s amazing work especially on historical subjects.

A few years ago I came upon a gallery in London that sells the original artwork of many of the artists that produced some of the fine works Gordon and me most enjoyed. Among the artists was Ron Embleton, sometimes he also signed his work, ‘R.S.Embleton’ and I was able to purchase several fine examples.

By the by, that Roman book of Ron’s is in my ‘K&C library’ and has been an great source of inspiration for ‘Streets of Ancient Rome’…as you will discover in the coming months.

All the best and happy collecting!
Andy.

Think we all have the same or similar bookshelves, The Haynes Manual in the picture [who were famous in the UK for car repair manuals] is also a good read and it has reconstructive pictures from Historic England and Phillip Corke Illustrations. As well as a nice breakdown of the 4 different types of Milecastle on the wall and whom they think built them. I am resisting buying the book by Mathew Symonds called Protecting The Roman Empire [£75 to £80] about the forts, castle and towers of the Roman Empire, as i have around 40 books on the Wall and spending £75 to £80 on another is a bit too much at the minute. I manage to get up to the wall for a few days every year and it is stunning.

One question always has me thinking about the milecastles, the barracks inside the vast majority of them are buildings with 4 defined walls and a gap between the back wall and the castle wall. Why did they not just build them out from the castle wall, that way only two sides, the front and roof needed to be constructed and more room inside the barracks of if build same size more room in the castle. Have chatted with the historians at the various Wall museums about it and they said no one knows why? But as always there is lots of theories, but the main was they seem to think is that is what thy were ordered to do, in the same way as a lot of the milecastles has entrances in the North of the wall that led nowhere as they were on high plateaus.

If anyone is in North Wales then the new Roman Fort at the Past in the Park is really worth a visit.

Britain's Big Fort Build - Park In The Past

Attachments

• po655.jpg
    po655.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 136
  • oploi.jpg
    oploi.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 136
This is a fantastic thread. The building and lictors look amazing. I would love to get my hands on some of those Pembleton books

Users who are viewing this thread

Back