Only 2 Painted Barbs (1 Viewer)

Thyer

Private 2
Been a while since I have painted anything up, so here they are! Perhaps of the Cherusci peoples from the famous battle of the Teutoburg forest. I hope to paint the others up and will put them here when complete!

Thanks guys for the comments! When I was doing research on these guys and what they wore (germanic barbarians) there isn't alot of information out there. I read over Tacitus's description of them from long ago, and found a smattering of academic endeavors looking into their garb. It seems they weren't nearly as ornamented as the Celtic tribes were (more fur, less plaid and metal), but there was definite overlap and mixing of the 2 cultures attire. They also had dye's available to them to color the wool. So I didn't want to go crazy with plaid as I might want to do more for a Celtic warrior. I also looked at the various metal figures that are produced and how they painted them. To answer your question Joe, I thinned out a dark umber and started with the vertical stripes, followed by the horizontal ones. I probably should have gone a little lighter on the stripes so where they overlap it would have been a darker square. I then added the linen vertical stripe. If anybody has further knowledge on these warriors I would appreciate any tips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back