Panther #413--Battle of the Bulge? (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know of any photos of Panther #413 showing its paint scheme before it was overturned during an airstrike during the Battle of the Bulge?

Photo link: http://www.flickriver.com/photos/deckarudo/5410604366/

It was flipped over at Houffalize, then later pushed into the nearby Ourthe River and eventually recovered in 1948. It is still at Houffalize. I don't know if it was ever repainted or renumbered, but the paint job is correct for the time.

326761559_55f1d57759_b.jpg

326765614_82bb375106_b.jpg

VALMY33:

Thanks for the photos. I have seen the 21st Century Panther #413 before. It appears the paint scheme on the right side of the turret barely visible in the photo of the real #413 doesn't match the 21st Century model. Another collector provided me with a photo of 21st Century's 1/32 Panther #413 which has a different paint scheme from the 1/18 model. Neither model matches the photo of the real #413.
Thanks again for the info.

PHANTOM WARRIOR:

Thanks for the photo and article. I had seen it before but was thrown off by the #401 instead of #413. It appears the number was changed, so maybe the paint scheme was changed from the original paint scheme, too.

I was hoping someone had photos of #413 showing its paint scheme before it was knocked out in the Battle of the Bulge.

It was flipped over at Houffalize, then later pushed into the nearby Ourthe River and eventually recovered in 1948. It is still at Houffalize. I don't know if it was ever repainted or renumbered, but the paint job is correct for the time.

326761559_55f1d57759_b.jpg

326765614_82bb375106_b.jpg

Thanks for posting these pics. :)

GUYS:

Thanks for the replies.

^&confuse Now I have a second question: what was the fate of Franz Frauscher, commander of Panther #431 (not to be confused with Panther #413 which I previously asked about), 2nd SS Panzer Division?

So far, I know during the Battle of the Bulge, on December 24, Frauscher and another Panther attacked a column of Shermans of the 7th Armored Division and knocked out nine. I can find nothing else about what happened to Frauscher and #431.

Holy cow, I just read the story of Barkmann's wild ride through American lines while Frauscher was knocking out the Shermans. Gave me goosebumps.

Page 17 of Panzer Aces III by Franz Kurowski (Stackpole.)

Franz Frauscher was a Hauptscharführer, in the Waffen SS during World War II who was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. He was awarded the Knight's Cross in December 1944, when he was a platoon commander with the 4th Company, 2nd SS Panzer Regiment, Das Reich.

Survived the War and passed away in 1990 aged 70

I remember seeing something about him in one of the Panzer Ace books but would have to look to see which one it was in.

Hope this info helps

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back