Paragon's Latest CW figures. (3 Viewers)

Scott

Major
Somewhat lumpy and the old trick of US and CS having the same kits and clothing. Yeah it happened but....... 15270X_2.jpg15269X_2.jpg

Certainly not the worst new figures out there. The Paragon cavalry sets were noticable smaller than the TSSD cavalry, how does their Civil War infantry stack up?

Gary B
Waverly, NE

Certainly not the worst new figures out there. The Paragon cavalry sets were noticable smaller than the TSSD cavalry, how does their Civil War infantry stack up?

Gary B
Waverly, NE

They may fit in with Conte's CW plastic for hand to hand poses . We'll see.

I like them, but I have to wonder why the second Confederate from the left is wearing a pilgrim hat. I think he's going to carve a turkey with that bayonet.

I like them, but I have to wonder why the second Confederate from the left is wearing a pilgrim hat. I think he's going to carve a turkey with that bayonet.

It may be the sculptor's interpretation of the US issue "Hardee Hat". Brims are way too wide for infantrymen trying to shoulder his weapon. Conte, Cunynham, and Classic do much better 1860s versions of soldier's brimmed hats.

These are kind of expensive to just treat as "green army men". I might try the Union set and blend them in with my Conte figures.

I have a bunch of Expeditionary Force arms left. Maybe those "Hulk"
arms on the figures can be replace.

Those look pretty authentic. I wish they would come out with some with blanket rolls. Then they could be used for Union Infantry of the later Western campaigns or maybe even early Indian War.

I always liked the old Marx CW figures since they all had packs or blanket rolls. Most modern makers are not so consistent. It would really be nice to have some infantry with fatigue blouses, rolled trousers in socks, and the blanket roll.

Too bad HaT doesn't do marching CW infantry!

At one time HaT had plans on the drawing board for at least some ACW marching sets in 1/72 scale but I don't know what came of them. I do know they have no current plans for any new 1/32 scale sets for awhile.

Sorry, but the sculpting on these is just not that good. Look at the legs, especially on the 3rd guy from the left. What is that? Elephantitis??
The heads are too small (again) and the proportions are just off.
It's a shame to go through all this trouble to make plastic figures and then have them turn out so poorly.

I know some of you will disagree, but take a minute to compare these sculpts to the Airfix 7 th cavalry sculpts.
Or the Marx 54 mm Cavalry sculpts.
Check out the legs and the heads on those and compare.

Some people are happy with any new product. If you like these, then buy them and enjoy them.

I'll pass.

I don't mind the sculpting.....Really bad choice of poses though!

Those look pretty authentic. I wish they would come out with some with blanket rolls. Then they could be used for Union Infantry of the later Western campaigns or maybe even early Indian War.

I always liked the old Marx CW figures since they all had packs or blanket rolls. Most modern makers are not so consistent. It would really be nice to have some infantry with fatigue blouses, rolled trousers in socks, and the blanket roll.

Too bad HaT doesn't do marching CW infantry!

It's difficult when you try to build units when all the firing men have full packs and all the loading men have blanket rolls. Conte's really good plastic CW have that issue.

I can handle guys in full field gear, I guess - it seems the makers are going to continue giving them to us. I would really like to have action poses without packs or with the option of having them or leaving them off. After all, the SOP when expecting contact with the enemy was to "ground" your heavy gear like packs or anything you think might slow you down before going into battle.

You would have guys with full packs and such if two opposing units ran into each other, but if expecting battle, like the second day of Gettysburg (or even the attack on Culp's Hill the first day) I would imagine very few of the troops would have kept their packs or blanket rolls on - even if they weren't ordered to ground them.

How do these figures compare in size with Conte or TSSD? I bought some western cavalry and they were smaller and "slimmer" than the TSSD figures.

Gary B.

Sorry, but the sculpting on these is just not that good. Look at the legs, especially on the 3rd guy from the left. What is that? Elephantitis??
The heads are too small (again) and the proportions are just off.
It's a shame to go through all this trouble to make plastic figures and then have them turn out so poorly.

I know some of you will disagree, but take a minute to compare these sculpts to the Airfix 7 th cavalry sculpts.
Or the Marx 54 mm Cavalry sculpts.
Check out the legs and the heads on those and compare.

Some people are happy with any new product. If you like these, then buy them and enjoy them.

I'll pass.

Wow. I'm new to this forum. But I'm not sure I want to stay after reading comments like this. I'm all for constructive criticism. But you guys are downright rude, even cruel. Elephantitis? Hulk arms? Small heads? Poor choice of poses? I don't know what figures you're talking about but it's not these. I bought some in Chicago. The heads are NOT too small, they are totally in proportion, and I've never seen a plastic figure that recreates action like these.

With no disrespect to the designer, I just found this figure on the Hobby Bunker site, http://www.hobbybunker.com/products/confederate-infantry-defending-no3single-figure-31242. I'm thinking if it were a plastic figure made by Paragon, you'd have a field day with it.

You guys want this hobby to continue? Instead of discrediting them, I think you should encourage the guys out there trying to give you new stuff to collect. Who do you think they're doing it for?

The photos are great, nice comparison and some neat conversions. I still enjoy conversions but I don't keep a lot of ACW "extras" on hand.

Gary B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back