Pegasus Bridge !! (1 Viewer)

cement shoes

K&C Has to do a Pegasus Bridge series with the actual bridge, a couple horsa gliders (one split in two), British paratroopers and some German defenders.
That would be a great collection!!!

I think that would be a great idea, but he already did so many similar things that I don't think its likely. Andy once did a bridge very similar to a Pegasus Bridge for an Afrika Corps diorama, and he also did a Horsa Glider (obviously not split in half). He recently did a Lord Lovat and his British Commandos and has done many sets of British Paras for Arnhem and some 60 or so sets of Germans. Basically, with the exception of mass producing the Bridge, all the sets you need for your Pegasus Bridge Diorama are already out there.

Attachments

• DSC01619-1.JPG
    DSC01619-1.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC01621-1.JPG
    DSC01621-1.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 13
I partially agree with Louis but I would love to see Pegasus Bridge. It's a fantastic bridge that I saw last summer and I actually picked up a small print from the souvenir shop. I don't know if you know but the bridge now crossing the river is not the original bridge. They moved that one to the present site of the museum not far away and it's a heck of a museum with an incredible guided tour by a tour guide named Mark Wotherington who really knows his stuff. He also mentioned that when they filmed the Longest Day that the scene was filmed at the bridge, not a made up prop for the movie. They also have an original Horsa Glider at the site and they're trying to get another one. If anyone is interested in helping out the museum (and it's one of the best things we saw at the D Day Beaches), I can get you a link.

Attachments

• 8668.jpg
    8668.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 8669.jpg
    8669.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 8670.jpg
    8670.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 8672.jpg
    8672.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 2
I'm currently reading the book Pegasus Bridge by Stephen Ambrose, thats what inspired my post. Great story!!

Attachments

• DSC07148.jpg
    DSC07148.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,467
  • DSC07249.jpg
    DSC07249.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 344
  • DSC07188.jpg
    DSC07188.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 347
There's a nifty book out by the english publisher Pen and Sword about Pegasus that's pretty good. It's a combination history travel guide.

I visited Pegasus Bridge a few years ago I recommend it. The bridge itself is gone but the two ends stand as monuments. There is a cafe that is owned by a woman (who was a little girl when the british landed). She has a wonderful museum there. All the comandos had a reunion there every year and brought her items. I bought a wonderful print and some small items from her. I had read about D-Day my entire life, thought I knew a lot about it. My mothers 1st husband and high school sweetheart was killed there in the first wave. I went with my family to visit stopping at Pegasus Bridge. As we were talking to the old woman she asked what our plans were. I said we were going to visit the beach heads and go to the American Cemetary. She asked how long we planned to stay? A couple of hours I said.
She laughed I had no idea the Normandy Beach Heads were over 80 miles long. I hope the rest of you guys are smarter then me!
All this time, with all the material I read, I never realized the scope of the invasion.
By the way its a wonderful trip with a seperate museum in almost every town along the cost. And you can go in the German Bunker they say had the 1st view of the massive invasion fleet.

Attachments

• 13827.jpg
    13827.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 13826.jpg
    13826.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 13825.jpg
    13825.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 13822.jpg
    13822.jpg