photo's of Scottish Regiments in Winter Greatcoats? (1 Viewer)

craig1985taylor

Command Sergeant Major
Hi guys I was wondering if anybody had any photos or pictures of any of the Scottish Regiments in greatcoats? Or could point me in the right direction of where to find them? My google searchs seem to not find what I'm after!

Cheers Craig

Scottish regiments wore and still wear the grey infantry pattern greatcoat. That's exactly the same as is used by the foot guards in winter guard order. Do you want officers double breasted as well as other ranks patterns?

Martin

I'm still digging through my stuff but as you can see from this Coldstreamer, only the hose and gaiters are visible when wearing the kit.

Martin

Attachments

• Greatcoat.jpg
    Greatcoat.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,332
Thanks for clearing it up Martin as I wasn't sure if they would of warn the same type & colour as the foot guards or not? & would they have just warn there normal dress with the kilt underneath?

Craig

All the same kit underneather, whether in full dress or marching order. Just to make clear for anyone else, the greatcoat is the same for all regiments including rifles and some corps with a basicaly infantry pattern uniform e.g Royal Engineers. One point though nco's rank insignia is worn on the right forearm. This stems from the fact that there used to be a cape fitted, so obviously you woudn't be able to see the rank on the upper arm.

Martin

Martin is certainly correct with regard to the pipers of the Scots Guards but am not sure if the remainder of the Scottish line regiments wore the grey or khaki coats. As has been said photos are very scarce, the only one I have been able to find so far is from 1879 at which time the grey coat was being worn by the entire army. However I have a vague recollection of a parade shortly after the war and am sure that khaki was the norm at that time. Trooper

Attachments

• scot coat.jpg
    scot coat.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 176
Martin, have just seen your latest post. Is it not the case that when regiments take over Palace duties when greatcoat order is in force that they borrow greatcoats from the Guards? On all other occasions wearing the normal issue? On Remembrance Day parade the Marines certainly wear khaki greatcoats with their blues beneath. I have always been under the impression that the grey coats were exclusive to the Guards and General officers. Trooper

Guys thanks for the infomation its much appreciated, so would they wear Khaki on normal occasions & grey if doing palace duties? I have some Irish Guards in grey greatcoats, the Lifeguards in red greatcoats, Blues & Royals in Blue & the Royal Marines in Khaki greatcoats all from the British Toy Soldier Company. I'm hopeing to get my friend who owns BTS Company to make some Highlanders in Greatcoats next, as he is always open to new ideas.

Craig

An interesting discussion about greatcoats this. My contribution to the debate involves a funny story - so here goes. :tongue:

I joined Royal Signals in 1960 - and was issued with a khaki greatcoat with green plastic buttons. I was also given some "staybright" buttons with the Jimmy on them - which I had to sew on in place of the plastic ones.

great_coat_army.jpg

I never wore it - and neither did anyone else in our unit - and I never saw it being worn by anyone else in the Army.

Sometime around the 1970's - we were told that the garment had been scrapped, though no-one had ever thought to tell us - and we could dispose of it. Well, mine had been wrapped around the hot water cylinder for about five years by then, as an aid to keeping the water hot - and save a few pennies! It fitted beautifully - and I adjusted the buttons a bit to button it up. The kids loved it - and often put my Number one hat on top - and delighted in showing all of their friends "Jimmy" as they called the creation. It even got promoted, when I was, by the kids!{sm4}

Some years later, our immersion heater (fitted to the top of the tank), failed - so we called in the plumber to replace it. When he arrived, I innocently showed him the airing cupboard door - and he opened it whilst chatting to me. When he looked inside - he gave an almighty shriek and promptly fell backwards onto the landing floor! When the poor guy stopped shaking enough to speak - he explained that he thought there was a body in the airing cupboard!!!{eek3}

We both saw the funny side - later - but if the guy had had a weak heart or something.....................well.............'nuff said! Needless to say - I disposed of it soon afterwards, and bought a proper insulation jacket for the tank - which was more efficient anyway. JB

Sorry about that I had my toy soldier "head on" and automaticaly though about pre 1914^&grin. Ofcourse since the introduction of the 1902 service dress the line regiments have been issued a khaki greatcoat We wear the shorter cavalry pattern in winter rehearsal order etc. I'll find some modern stuff!
One small point though Craig the red and blue are "cloaks not "greatcoats"

Martin

I can't find much and from what I can find out from lads in the infantry they've never seen a greatcoat in winter the most they wear is No2 dress. The bands use a rain mac.
Here's a Simpkin officer in khaki with fs helmet must be about 1902, but most interesting is the "Pony Major" from A&SH 1979 wearing the cavalry pattern (double breasted, shorter, no turn backs on cuff)at Wellington Barracks so on "Public Duties" I would assume they all wore this over there No1 dress.
Hopefully this makes up for my earlier slip.^&grin
Now ask me something Victorian!:):D
Martin

I must be getting old or it's just close to a show!^&grin HERE are the pictures

Martin

Attachments

• Pony Major.jpg
    Pony Major.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Seaforth.jpg
    Seaforth.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 78
Hi guys thank you for all the info its really interesting :) the photos are just what I was looking for thank you for taking the time to find them

Cheers Craig

Sorry about that I had my toy soldier "head on" and automaticaly though about pre 1914^&grin. Ofcourse since the introduction of the 1902 service dress the line regiments have been issued a khaki greatcoat We wear the shorter cavalry pattern in winter rehearsal order etc. I'll find some modern stuff!
One small point though Craig the red and blue are "cloaks not "greatcoats"

Martin

Martin thanks for pointing out about the cloaks on the houshold cavalry its kinda obvious now when I look at them lol

Cheers Craig

Actually Martin - you raise an interesting point there, when you say that you thought it was a certain date that was being asked about. I think that when advice is being sought or given about uniform detail, it is often quite important to state (even roughly), when in time is being talked about. I have frequently fallen into that trap myself - of meaning one time in history, when someone else is talking about another time - and then got totally confused over what it is I am trying to portray. Uniform detail (especially in Scottish Regiments, I feel) can often be quite bewildering in complexity from Regiment to Regiment ( or even from battalion to battalion), as well as across time.

It is often difficult however, to say exactly when in time a TS figure is meant to be portraying - when he/she arrives as a casting - so it is tricky to ask for specific advice on a date. Still - if it was easy - perhaps it wouldn't be half so much fun, finding out. Nice too, that there is a wealth of expertise to be tapped here on the forum. I must say, I learn a lot from "eavsdropping" , on conversations - and viewing illustrations, such as these.

So thanks to you - and others - who can often put us on the right track.

WelshGuardsmarchingwithSA80somoderntimes-say-mid1980sthen.png

For example - these are from Sarum Soldiers, and depict Welsh Guards in Greatcoats, marching with SA80's - so must be in modern times - say circa 1990.

Good luck with the painting Craig - johnnybach

Users who are viewing this thread

Back